The Book Recommendations Thread

Stevie B

Current Member
I was aware that Seethaler had three books in English translation, but it appears there's a fourth - one in need of a publisher. Here's a sample of that book, The Cafe with No Name, read by Charlotte Collins, the translator of Cafe and Seethaler's three earlier novels. I used to think a translator was put under contract by a publisher prior to completing a translation, but that doesn't appear to always be the case, in Collins' situation anyways.

Leseratte

Thank you for introducing me to this writer. His books seem very introspective, which is a quality I prize. Looking at his novel The Field though, it struck me as being eerily similar to the Irish book Cré na Cille, though the tone is apparently very different. The Irish novel is more of a satire and a biting take-down of small village politics and the Austrian one is more introspective and tinged with nostalgia. An interesting parallel though! :)
I read the novel, because it was recommended on this forum. I only don't remember who recomended it.

Leseratte

The film looks promising, and it has motivated me to move the novel to the top of my to-be-read pile.
About the book, without publisher. The situation that I know is that the publishers look for a translator when they want to publish a translated book.
But it may be the case, if a translator is already known for his/her work, that he or she offers a translation to some publisher. I haven't listened to the video as yet but I hope they find a publisher. I was very impressed by the novel I read.