Page 260 of 260 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260
Results 5,181 to 5,197 of 5197

Thread: Recently finished books?

Default Re: Recently finished books?

I read Call Me By Your Name, by André Aciman. Throughout the reading I had this urge to put it down because I felt my heart tightening as I got deeper into the main character's suffering.I loved it but I'm sure I will never get back to it. The melancholy and nostalgia present in this book is achingly beautiful and quite hard to handle. I picked it up but it was on a list of LGBTQ lit but I wonder if I'd still label it this way after reading it. It goes beyond it. Thoughts?
    I also read Sin Noticias de Gurb, by Eduardo Mendoza, which was my first book in Spanish! It made me realize I still have a lot to work on my Spanish but also made me laugh a lot. By the way, I think it was Daniel who recommended it. I recommended it to two friends of me, both Spanish majors, who read and liked it too. :-)

^The book (Call Me by Your Name) has actually been adapted for the big screen and is coming out at some point this year (2017)--perhaps already out in some places? I took a quick look at the IMDb page and the production photos look good. Also, James Ivory wrote the screenplay (though he didn't direct). I might check it out at some point.

I actually finished it one day before the official trailer came out. It trended on Twitter, so I spent some time talking about the book and the adaption with people who thought the relationship the protagonists have is pedophilic and pedratory. Surprisingly, none of them have read the book but were pretty quick to judge.
    The movie has been shown in the Berlin Festival and in Sundance, I think. It's going to be released in UK by October and November in the US. I'm really looking forward to it. The age gap between the two protagonists, which in the book is 7 years, look way bigger in the movie, which made me a little uncomfortable.

Jane Austen, Persuasion (1817):

Charming last novel by Austen; possibly not as strong or memorable as P&P or Emma, but delightful nonetheless. Unusually, there is no clearly demarcated antagonist or "villain" in this book. Mr Elliot (the heir presumptive) is presented rather as a lost pathetic figure on whom the main character bestows some pity toward the end. I've never read this particular Jane Austen novel, and all in all, it was a pleasure.

Samanta Schweblin - Fever Dream +

Oscar Wilde​ - The picture of Dorian Gray + See thread.

Red Lights by Georges Simenon. +

My first Simenon and one of his roman durs novels. Started strong and kept my interest throughout, but I found the ending less than satisfying. I'd definitely be interested in reading Simenon again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in reading Simenon again, though.
    You've got a lot of choice. One of the most productive writers that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Red Lights by Georges Simenon. +

My first Simenon and one of his roman durs novels. Started strong and kept my interest throughout, but I found the ending less than satisfying. I'd definitely be interested in reading Simenon again, though.
    Somebody who I truly respect his literary taste always recommended me La Neige Etait Blanc as one of the most impressing works he had ever read. Probably the expectations were too high so I ended up a bit disappointed, but it is indeed a good novel.

Sjon: The Blue Fox

Patrick Modiano: The Black Notebook

Yi Mun-yol: Meeting with My Brother

Jon Fosse: The Child

Cao Naiqian: There's Nothing I Can Do When I Think of You Late at Night

Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    You've got a lot of choice. One of the most productive writers that I know of.
    Simenon reportedly wrote over 500 books, many of which were published using pseudonyms. If you multiply that number by 20, according to Simenon, you'd arrive at the number of women he slept with during his lifetime. I guess he was both a workaholic and a playa'holic. Not everyone is a fan of his writing, but no one could argue the man lacked stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Somebody who I truly respect his literary taste always recommended me La Neige Etait Blanc as one of the most impressing works he had ever read. Probably the expectations were too high so I ended up a bit disappointed, but it is indeed a good novel.
    Daniel, I think the title in French ends with "Sale," not "Blanc." The title has been translated in English in a number of ways - The Snow was Black, Stain on the Snow, and Dirty Snow. It's funny that you mention that novel, in particular, as it is the only other Simenon book I own.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Sjon: The Blue Fox
    Hm, 3 stars is not that bad but is it enough to read anything else from him? I tried reading The Blue Fox but just couldn't, I don't know why. However I read his last work (I think), Moonstone, pretty fast and liked it a lot. Recommend it, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdiniz View Post
    Hm, 3 stars is not that bad but is it enough to read anything else from him? I tried reading The Blue Fox but just couldn't, I don't know why. However I read his last work (I think), Moonstone, pretty fast and liked it a lot. Recommend it, by the way.
    How long is that one? And the narration is very odd in The Blue Fox. The first 35 or so pages are told in a much sparser way than the rest of the book, so if that was what put you off, it does change up later.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    How long is that one? And the narration is very odd in The Blue Fox. The first 35 or so pages are told in a much sparser way than the rest of the book, so if that was what put you off, it does change up later.
    I observed the same too. For a short novel, there seems to be a change in narration midway through. But, I liked the book and though I haven't read any other book of him, it hadn't put me off.
    Jayan

Good to know! I do want to keep reading his works so probably The Blue Fox is going to be the next one.
    Moonstone is around 150 pages, by the way. Really interesting story.

Huh, cool. I think The Blue Fox put me off for the time being, but I see myself trying Sjon out again a few months from now and I'll keep an eye out for Moonstone.