Page 266 of 266 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266
Results 5,301 to 5,304 of 5304

Thread: Recently finished books?

Default Re: Recently finished books?

^Those of us who read French can read it in the original of course, but I would also like to point out that the English translation (by Hoyt Rogers), was published under two different titles: Grey Souls in the UK and By A Slow River in the US. From what I can tell, it's the SAME translation, so don't confuse it for two different books.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    ^Those of us who read French can read it in the original of course, but I would also like to point out that the English translation (by Hoyt Rogers), was published under two different titles: Grey Souls in the UK and By A Slow River in the US. From what I can tell, it's the SAME translation, so don't confuse it for two different books.
    In another thread where I posted a brief summary/review, I noted the following: "My only reservation is this statement at the beginning of the book: 'The editors have also emended the original text and the English version throughout, as they have deemed appropriate.'!! This is beyond presumptuous; I think it highly offensive and insulting. (They also changed the title from Gray Souls to By A Slow River for no earthly apparent reason.)"

Although I have no idea why they would change the title, I'm far more exercised about the "emendations." Have you any idea about the nature/extent or anything else to do with those changes?

^I'm guessing that they replaced some quintessential Britishisms with Americanisms, but I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know for sure.

Getting more into philosophy:

Plato: The Republic - Can't say much about this one that hasn't been said before. Surprisingly readable for philosophy. Don't agree with much in the book, but it's a foundational read, a text you pretty much can't avoid reading if you're interested in the subject, so...

Marcus Aurelius: Meditations - These were the personal notes of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, a subscriber to the Stoic philosophy, and it shows. There's a lot of repetition, the texts themselves read like reminders rather than anything systematic. Still, even if you don't subscribe to stoicism, even in its modern form, these meditations contain useful and applicable advice, although really after one or two chapters it just becomes more of the same.

Bertrand Russell: The History of Western Philosophy - Apparently the worst among the tomes detailing western philosophy that is still worth reading (due to Russell being a philosopher rather than a historian, and having strong opinions about many of those he covers), the literary nerd wanted to read this one just because it supposedly was the deciding factor for Russell winning the Nobel. Plus, I've seen it characterized as "The History of Inaccurate but Sick Burns," and in that regard it did not disappoint; for what you would assume to be such a heavy and dry topic, Russell's wit makes this the type of book you can read on the subway.