Turns out we don't have a thread for her, and since she's being discussed... Maybe Mirabell or someone else who's read her can add something? Going by what's available over here, I'd love to hear if Der Fuchs war damals schon der J?ger or Herztier are any good?
Biography (shamelessly stolen from wikipedia)
Bibliography:Herta M?ller (born August 17, 1953) is a Romanian-born German novelist and essayist.
She was born in Niţchidorf (Nitzkydorf), Timiş County, the daughter of Swabian farmers. She took German studies and Romanian literature at the Timişoara University.
In 1976, M?ller began working as a translator for an engineering company, but was dismissed in 1979 for her refusal to cooperate with the Securitate, the Communist regime's secret police. Initially, she made a living by teaching kindergarten and giving private German lessons. Her first book was published in Romania (in German) in 1982, and appeared only as a censored version, as with most publications of this time.
In 1987, M?ller left for Germany with her husband. Over the following years, she received many lectureships at universities in Germany and abroad. She currently lives in Berlin. M?ller received membership at the German Academy for Writing and Poetry in 1995, and other positions followed. In 1997, she withdrew from the PEN centre of Germany in protest of its merge with its former German Democratic Republic branch.
- Niederungen ("Lowlands"), Bucharest 1982
- Dr?ckender Tango ("Oppressive Tango"), Bucharest 1984
- Der Mensch ist ein gro?er Fasan auf der Welt ("Man Is a Big Sucker in the World"), Berlin 1986
- Barf??iger Februar ("Barefoot February"), Berlin 1987
- Reisende auf einem Bein ("Traveller on One Leg"), Berlin 1989
- The Passport, 1989
- Wie Wahrnehmung sich erfindet ("How Perception Invents Itself"), Paderborn 1990
- Der Teufel sitzt im Spiegel ("The Devil is Sitting in the Mirror"), Berlin 1991
- Der Fuchs war damals schon der J?ger ("Even Back Then, the Fox Was the Hunter), Reinbek by Hamburg 1992
- Eine warme Kartoffel ist ein warmes Bett ("A Warm Potato Is a Warm Bed), Hamburg 1992
- Der W?chter nimmt seinen Kamm ("The Guard Takes His Comb"), Reinbek by Hamburg 1993
- Angekommen wie nicht da ("Arrived As If Not There"), Lichtenfels 1994
- Herztier ("Heart Animal"), Reinbek bei Hamburg 1994
- Hunger und Seide ("Hunger and Silk"), Reinbek by Hamburg 1995
- In der Falle ("In a Trap"), G?ttingen 1996
- Heute w?r ich mir lieber nicht begegnet ("Today I Would Rather Not Have Met Myself"), Reinbek by Hamburg 1997
- Der fremde Blick oder das Leben ist ein Furz in der Laterne ("The Foreign View, or Life Is a Fart in a Lantern"), G?ttingen 1999
- The Land of Green Plums, 1999
- Im Haarknoten wohnt eine Dame ("A Lady Lives in the Hair Knot"), Reinbek by Hamburg 2000
- Heimat ist das, was gesprochen wird ("Home Is What Is Spoken There"), Blieskastel 2001
- Der K?nig verneigt sich und t?tet ("The King Bows and Kills), Munich (and elsewhere) 2003
- Die blassen Herren mit den Mokkatassen ("The Pale Gentlemen with their Espresso Cups"), Munich (and elsewhere) 2005