Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kazuo Ishiguro

Default Re: Kazuo Ishiguro

It baffled me see so many people, including famous critics, describing Never let me go as boring, for when I read it I found it anything but boring. The voice of the narrator is so nuanced and compact and filled with melancholy that it made me utterly engrossed in every remenbering she told us. I read the novel in just two days, and this coming from me, a slow and hard-to-remain-focused reader this is saying something. I generally prefer writings in the first person, especially those coming from very complex characters, those that instead of just telling a story, describing actions, let us have a peak at one's mind. I kind of struggle with a 3rd person narrative when the writing doesn't come with something else like meta commentaries or intrusions from various other sources, and instead is just a plain chain of description of actions, of a story. The point I'm making is that the more style there's on the page (and even if it is a style of restraint - think of Colm Toibin) the better for me
    Last edited by Bartleby; 07-Oct-2017 at 17:14.

My $5 First American Edition of Never Let ME Go came today. Bent pages and no jacket. I'll probably just wait till the Nobel hype settles down then try buy one. I really like that specific cover.

Finished Never Let Me Go today. First time around, I enjoyed The Remains of the Door more, this time Stevens' dedication didn't ring quite as true with me. Still a 5 star read, but now knowing what to expect with NLMG (I think the first time around the scifi label gave me unrealistic expectations), it seemed the more masterful book. Wish my copies of The Unconsoled and An Artist of the Floating World would hurry up; I've wanted to check those two out for a while now.

What cover are you talking about, Isa? My copy just has a crappy movie tie-in cover

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    What cover are you talking about, Isa? My copy just has a crappy movie tie-in cover
    I think it's this one. https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1...14l/331679.jpg

I really love that one and also the 2010 Vintage Books covers

Yes, that one.