Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Booker International Prize

Award Man Booker International Prize

Judging Panel Announced

The judging panel of the Man Booker International Prize is announced today, Wednesday 19 March, 2008. Chaired by writer Jane Smiley, this eminent international panel consists of writer, academic and musician, Amit Chaudhuri, and writer, film script writer, and essayist, Andrey Kurkov.

Fiammetta Rocco, administrator of the prize, comments:
    "Each of our three judges for the Man Booker International Prize 2009 is expert on a vastly different area of world literature. Knowledgeable as writers as well as readers, they will together bring a high degree of excellence, enthusiasm and experience to the task ahead."
    The Man Booker International Prize recognizes one writer for their achievement in fiction. Worth ?60,000 to the winner, the prize is awarded once every two years to a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is generally available in translation in the English language.

The winner is chosen solely at the discretion of the judging panel; there are no submissions from publishers. Nigerian writer, Chinua Achebe, won the 2007 prize and Albanian writer, Ismail Kadare won the inaugural prize in 2005 and went on to gain worldwide recognition for his work. In addition, there is a separate prize for translation and, if applicable, the winner can choose a translator of his or her work into English to receive a prize of ?15,000.

The judges' list of contenders, approximately fifteen writers under serious consideration for the prize, will be announced in New York in early spring 2009. The winner of the Man Booker International Prize 2009 will be announced in early summer 2009. The prize will be presented at an awards ceremony, shortly after the winner is announced.

The prize is sponsored by Man Group plc, which also sponsors the Man Booker Prize for Fiction.

The Man Booker International Prize is significantly different from the annual Man Booker Prize for Fiction in that it highlights one writer's overall contribution to fiction on the world stage. In seeking out literary excellence the judges consider a writer's body of work rather than a single novel.
    So, now that the prize is, in effect, about to get underway, who do we think is going to take it next year?

Last year's candidates were, excluding Chinua Achebe, who won:

• Margaret Atwood
    • John Banville
    • Peter Carey
    • Don DeLillo
    • Carlos Fuentes
    • Doris Lessing
    • Ian McEwan
    • Harry Mulisch
    • Alice Munro
    • Michael Ondaatje
    • Amos Oz
    • Philip Roth
    • Salman Rushdie
    • Michel Tournier

I think that, since it's only the award's third prize giving, it's still trying to establish itself as an international award (like the Nobel and Neustadt) and therefore may want to recognise an author on another continent. So, we've had Europe, we've had Africa. So Asia or the Americas perhaps - deliberately exclusing Oceania since it's had a fine showing in the regular Booker.

Award MAN Booker International 2009

The list of writers being considered for the Man Booker International Prize 2009 have been announced.
    Peter Carey
    Evan S. Connell
    Mahasweta Devi
    E.L. Doctorow
    James Kelman
    Mario Vargas Llosa
    Arnošt Lustig
    Alice Munro
    V.S. Naipaul
    Joyce Carol Oates
    Antonio Tabucchi
    Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
    Dubravka Ugrešić
    Ludmila Ulitskaya
    The prize will be announced in May 2009.

Previous winners include Ismail Kadare (2005) and Chinua Achebe (2007).

Default Re: MAN Booker International 2009

Evan S. Connell, to me, is one out of nowhere. I've had his The Diary Of A Rapist for a year or so now, having never got around to it.

Hi Stewart
    I checked out the news this morning and it seems a very interesting list. However there are a few writers I haven't heard about and I'm sure you and other fellows from the UK have more information about them.

If some of you guys can talk more about Evan S. Connell, E.L. Doctorow
    and Ludmila Ulitskaya, would be great

By the way, you have the wrong flag with Vargas Llosa, he's not Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    If some of you guys can talk more about Evan S. Connell, E.L. Doctorow and Ludmila Ulitskaya, would be great
    It would be nice. Anyone?

By the way, you have the wrong flag with Vargas Llosa, he's not Mexican
    Whoops! I probably had Carlos Fuentes in my head, given he'd appeared as a contender the previous time out.

I'd go for Ludmila Ulitskaya

Quote Originally Posted by miercuri View Post
    I'd go for Ludmila Ulitskaya
    By all means, please start a thread on her and introduce her. She's a new name to me.

Anyway, here's the full press release from today, which I've just found in my email:

The judging panel for the Man Booker International Prize 2009 is: Jane Smiley, writer; Amit Chaudhuri, writer, academic and musician; and writer, film script writer and essayist, Andrey Kurkov.

In announcing their list, Jane Smiley comments:
    ?Judging the Man Booker International Prize has made us all aware of how unusual and astonishing the literary world really is. We?ve all read books by authors we had never heard of before and they have turned out to be some of the best books we?ve ever read. I am thrilled with the list we have come up with. It makes me wonder who else is out there untranslated into English.

?Some of the best writers in the world have come together on this judges? list regardless of celebrity or commercial success. For us it?s been a rare combination of education and delight.?

Peter Clarke, Chairman, Man Group plc comments:
    ?We are delighted to announce the Judges? List for the 2009 Man Booker International Prize from The New York Public Library. New York is one of the world?s most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities and is noted for its heritage of literary excellence, at the centre of which lies the magnificent New York Public Library. For a prize of such international standing it is therefore a wholly appropriate setting in which to announce what is a rich and diverse list and one which we hope will encourage lively debate. Man Group believes that the value of this unique prize, which recognises writers from all round the world, is in its contribution to encouraging more reading of contemporary fiction.?

The Man Booker International Prize was announced in June 2004 and recognises one writer for his or her achievement in fiction. Worth ?60,000 to the winner, the prize is awarded once every two years to a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is generally available in translation in the English language. In addition, there is a separate prize for translation and, if applicable, the winner can choose a translator of his or her work into English to receive a prize of ?15,000.

The winner is chosen solely at the discretion of the judging panel; there are no submissions from publishers. Nigerian writer, Chinua Achebe, won the 2007 prize and Albanian writer, Ismail Kadar?, won the inaugural prize in 2005 and went on to gain worldwide recognition for his work.

The prize is sponsored by Man Group plc, which also sponsors The Man Booker Prize for Fiction.

The Man Booker International Prize differs from the annual Man Booker Prize for Fiction in that it highlights one writer?s continued creativity, development and overall contribution to fiction on the world stage. Both prizes strive to recognise and reward the finest fiction.

The Judges
    Born in Los Angeles, California, Jane Smiley was raised in St. Louis, Missouri. After receiving her B.A. at Vassar College in 1971, she travelled to Europe for a year, later returning to graduate school at the University of Iowa. Smiley is the author of ten works of fiction, including The Age of Grief, The Greenlanders, Ordinary Love and Good Will and A Thousand Acres, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992.

Amit Chaudhuri is a novelist, critic, and musician. He is also the author of two acclaimed critical studies, a book of stories, and an influential anthology of Indian literature. He writes regularly for the London Review of Books and the Times Literary Supplement, and is Professor of Contemporary Literature at the University of East Anglia. Chaudhuri is a vocalist in the Indian classical tradition, and the conceptualiser of the acclaimed project in experimental music, This Is Not Fusion. His latest novel, The Immortals, is published in the UK this month.

Andrey Kurkov, born in St Petersburg in 1961, now lives in Kiev. Having graduated from the Kiev Foreign Languages Institute (he speaks English, German, French, Polish, Japanese, Italian and Romanian), he worked for some time as a journalist, did his military service as a prison warder in Odessa, then became a film cameraman, writer of screenplays and author of critically acclaimed and popular novels including Death and the Penguin, Penguin Lost, A Matter of Death and Life, The Case of the General?s Thumb, The World of Mr Big Forehead, and The President?s Last Love. He has also written one book for children, The Adventures of Baby Vacuum Cleaner Gosha.

The Literary Saloon puts out a lengthy post on the subject of this prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Evan S. Connell, to me, is one out of nowhere. I've had his The Diary Of A Rapist for a year or so now, having never got around to it.
    I have read Mrs. Bridge and Mr. Bridge, she said/he said novels about a middle class couple in middle American in the mid century. But that was long ago. He also wrote an excellent book about General Custer (the one who with the "last stand"), in which Custer appears to be the dim-witted bully that he probably was. Here is a link to a brief Wikipedia notice which lists his many other books which I have not read:

Evan S. Connell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good writer, but why now?
    About books - Silver Threads
    About American silver - Silver Season

Who do you think is the favorite to get this award?

There are a lot of worthies on the list deserving of wider recognition. Mario Vargas Llosa and V.S. Naipaul are the heavies, but perhaps not favored because of that; I expect the winner to come from the next tier, Peter Carey or E.L. Doctorow, with an outside chance for Antonio Tabucchi, Arno?t Lustig, Joyce Carol Oates (though I would have preferred seeing Cynthia Ozick in her place), and Mahasweta Devi. FWIW, Ladbrokes gave all the aforementioned a shot at the Nobel (except Naipaul of course), at these odds (NB: consulted after my opining):
    Joyce Carol Oates 6
    Arno?t Lustig 21
    Mario Vargas Llosa 21
    Alice Munro 41
    Antoni Tabucchi 41
    Peter Carey 41
    Mahasweta Devi 51
    E.L Doctorow 101
    sempiternally offtopic: Stochastic Bookmark

Alice Munro won the INternational Booker

QUOTE Alice Munro is today, 27 May 2009, announced as the winner of the third Man Booker International Prize.

The Man Booker International Prize, worth ?60,000 to the winner, is awarded once every two years to a living author for a body of work that has contributed to an achievement in fiction on the world stage. It was first awarded to Ismail Kadar? in 2005 and then to Chinua Achebe in 2007.

Best known for her short stories, Munro is one of Canada's most celebrated writers. On receiving the news of her win, she said, ?I am totally amazed and delighted.'

The judging panel for the Man Booker International Prize 2009 is: Jane Smiley, writer; Amit Chaudhuri, writer, academic and musician; and writer, film script writer and essayist, Andrey Kurkov. The panel made the following comment on the winner:

?Alice Munro is mostly known as a short story writer and yet she brings as much depth, wisdom and precision to every story as most novelists bring to a lifetime of novels. To read Alice Munro is to learn something every time that you never thought of before.'

Her latest collection of short stories, Too Much Happiness, will be published in October 2009. Alice Munro will receive the prize of ?60,000 and a trophy at the Award Ceremony on Thursday 25 June at Trinity College, Dublin.

Alice Munro wins 2009 Man Booker International Prize : Man Booker Prize news

Interesting selection. I haven't read anything from her so I can not tell if the prize was someway fair or not.
    What I did like about this prize, is that the jury decided to award a short story writer, a sub genre that is not too popular as the novel nowadays. I think is very important to recognize writers effort in all kind of literary expressions. It is terrible that the Nobel prize seems to have forgotten that poets exists.
    If any of you guys in the forum have any recommendation of Munro, please let me know

I would say that Lives of Girls and Women is generally regarded as her best work (and it does read much like a novel). I also liked her most recent -- The View from Castle Rock, a collection of stories that explores her family history.

I ordered Runaway last nite.

Her works doesn't sound that appealing to me, but I guess I have to give her a chance. Same happened with Margaret Atwood and she came as a big surprise to me.

Award Man Booker International 2011

Your nominees, longlist, whatever, for this year's prize:

The thirteen authors on the list are:
    - Wang Anyi (China)
    - Juan Goytisolo (Spain)
    - James Kelman (UK)
    - John le Carré (UK)
    - Amin Maalouf (Lebanon)
    - David Malouf (Australia)
    - Dacia Maraini (Italy)
    - Rohinton Mistry (India/Canada)
    - Philip Pullman (UK)
    - Marilynne Robinson (USA)
    - Philip Roth (USA)
    - Su Tong (China)
    - Anne Tyler (USA)

Winner to be announced on 28th June.

Initial thoughts? Not all that international, after all. And Philip Pullman? Someone's having a laugh. Or just your typical Booker curveball to get people interested.

Default Re: Man Booker International 2011

I'm so impatiently hoping for a new Mistry novel. The last one was published, what? 2004?

Between Pullman and Le Carre (both of whom I've enjoyed in the past) and Anne Tyler (who is a worse writer than Dan Brown IMO) it's a pretty middle-brow list. Not impressed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Your nominees, longlist, whatever, for this year's prize:

The thirteen authors on the list are:
    - Wang Anyi (China)
    - Juan Goytisolo (Spain)
    - James Kelman (UK)
    - John le Carré (UK)
    - Amin Maalouf (Lebanon)
    - David Malouf (Australia)
    - Dacia Maraini (Italy)
    - Rohinton Mistry (India/Canada)
    - Philip Pullman (UK)
    - Marilynne Robinson (USA)
    - Philip Roth (USA)
    - Su Tong (China)
    - Anne Tyler (USA)

Winner to be announced on 28th June.

Initial thoughts? Not all that international, after all. And Philip Pullman? Someone's having a laugh. Or just your typical Booker curveball to get people interested.

Quote Originally Posted by adaorardor View Post
    Anne Tyler (who is a worse writer than Dan Brown IMO)
    suz is a huge fan you know. I liked what I read of her, but then I also see the attraction of Mr. Brown's muddled oeuvre.