Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Run for covers !

Default Re: Run for covers !

It's a growing experience, Liam, the Magistrate doesn't become immediately conscious of the value of the Others. There's a slow progression, and I certainly think he loved her. Or maybe I just don't want to paint a novel I loved in such bleak colors like you're doing.

But Coetzee IS bleak!!! If his characters suddenly began to exhibit the full spectrum of human emotion, I'd be seriously concerned for the author.

But being bleak, he can't however have a grasp of the full spectrum of human emotions? That's a very limited reading of literature.

There you two go again.

There's something about Coetzee that I instinctively can't stand. He does not come over as serene, but cold. He never mentions his obvious part-Afrikaner background (his surname is a dead giveaway). And as soon as the going got tough in that pretty chaotic country South Africa, he disappeared off to Australia.

Attached Images Attached Images

Not a book, but a beautiful CD cover, from my favorite rock band (played it earlier today and the music is gorgeous)--

I love the upcoming Criterion Collection release of the classic chiller The Silence of the Lambs, the cover is gorgeous. That being said, as a huge fan of this studio, I've been somewhat disappointed with their recent choices (of the past year or so). They've always been at the forefront of championing little-known or forgotten foreign gems, indie dramas, experimental documentaries, etc, but suddenly they've gone all commercial. Eh, things fall apart. Still, most of the titles already in the collection are pretty awesome. I recently watched Tarkovsky's Stalker on BluRay and the quality is unbelievable.