Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Recently Begun Books

Default Re: Recently Begun Books

Just began reading Dostoevsky's Demons in Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation (everyman's library edition). Can't believe it's been seven years since I read him for the last time, with The Idiot. Not even a short story or novella

Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    Just began reading Dostoevsky's Demons in Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation (everyman's library edition). Can't believe it's been seven years since I read him for the last time, with The Idiot. Not even a short story or novella
    Was recently getting rid of some junky books I didn’t want anymore and realized my cheap paperback versions of Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov from high school were Constance Garnett translations.

Threw them in the recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Was recently getting rid of some junky books I didn’t want anymore and realized my cheap paperback versions of Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov from high school were Constance Garnett translations.

Threw them in the recycling.
    Bad-mouthing Constance? What did this nice lady ever do to you?

The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford

Just started Stoner, by John Williams. He's been receiving a lot of attention here lately, with publisher Rádio Londres translating 3 of his 4 novels in the last couple years. I also have Butcher's Crossing on my TBR pile.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Charles Lutwidge Dodgson

I have a bias in favor of novels about authors or literature professors, so it should come as no surprise that Stoner is one of my all-time favorites. I hope the translation is a good one.

Can Xue - Frontier

So far my 2018 is off to a slow start. I've been reading this for a roughly a week and haven't really made very much progress (about halfway through the book). First time reading her. The writing style and plot really don't make me feel motivated to read. It's well written, but at the moment it just reads like Can Xue trying really hard to emulate Kafka and unless you're really drawn to the oddities of the characters in this village she's created there's not much going on to entertain. I can sort of tell I'll lend up giving this a 4/5 and that the plot (or lack thereof) will never really go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I have a bias in favor of novels about authors or literature professors, so it should come as no surprise that Stoner is one of my all-time favorites. I hope the translation is a good one.
    I'm nearing the end, but already love it and the translation is fine, in spite of some minor flaws. What's really lacking is a careful and thorough proofreading of the text. There're some, but more than what's acceptable in my opinion, small mistakes that hamper the flow of the text.

As soon as I finished I'll post a more proper review of my experience.

Ivan Turgenev, Virgin Soil (trans. by Constance Garnett)

Ondjaki, Os Transparentes

W. B. Yeats and the Muses - Joseph M. Hassett

I've started reading too many books at the same time again. I'm having mixed responses to two of them, and a mostly poor response to the third - though I'm required to read it because a friend at work gave it to me in a book exchange. And so...

Mulata - Miguel Angel Asturias (Shadow Nobel)
    Autobiography of My Mother - Jamaica Kincaid (Audiobook for while I am crocheting)
    The Zahir - Paulo Coelho (Book Exchange).

I don't think the Coelho will last more than a few days. It is funny how these really bad books can be read so quickly even if you aren't enjoying it. Autobiography seems quite good, the writing is beautiful and it is read very well. Mulata is a bit of a monster of ideas and concepts and it is pretty much impossible for me to connect any of the dots this far. Quite frankly, I've never read anything like it.

Werke - Novalis

I started reading a collection of posthumous poems by Ingeborg Bachmann. For now, I can see how she was so beloved by Bernhard. Harsh, severe poems full with grief and despair.

I fear I might be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm reading these simultaneously:

Literature and the Gods, Roberto Calasso
    As Counsciousness is Harnessed to Flesh, Susan Sontag
    Speech Genres and Other Late Essays, Mikhail Bakhtin
    The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition, Michael Tomasello
    Noite Dentro da Noite, Joca Reiners Terron

The only fiction is Joca Reiners Terron's Noite Dentro da Noite, which translates as Night Inside the Night or Night Within Night. It hasn't been translated into any languages yet, but has an interesting premisse. On the day of a rare snowfall in the Paraná state, in 1975, a boy suffers a head injury an falls into a coma. He's 12 and he spends his next year nearly incapable of forming new memories and unable to recognize anyone around him, as if he's surrounded by ghosts. Many years later he'll try to uncover the truth of what he lived and things get weird. Somehow the author mixes Nazi conspiracies, political commentaries on the Brazilian Military Dictatorship and the folklore of the Centro-Oeste region of Brazil.

Regarding the rest:
    I'm reading Susan Sontag's diary out of sheer curiosity. And to enrich my own experiences as a reader I'm trying Calasso. The one by Bakhtin is in preparation for my Master's, that starts in March. And Michael Tomasello is a well-known psychologist in my field of study: intercultural dialogues and refugees. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasM View Post
    Speech Genres and Other Late Essays, Mikhail Bakhtin
    An incredibly difficult literary critic and early theorist of literature, full of insight. If, at any point, you feel like giving up on him, DON'T. Bakhtin is hugely rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasM View Post
    The only fiction is Joca Reiners Terron's Noite Dentro da Noite, which translates as Night Inside the Night or Night Within Night. It hasn't been translated into any languages yet, but has an interesting premisse. On the day of a rare snowfall in the Paraná state, in 1975, a boy suffers a head injury an falls into a coma. He's 12 and he spends his next year nearly incapable of forming new memories and unable to recognize anyone around him, as if he's surrounded by ghosts. Many years later he'll try to uncover the truth of what he lived and things get weird. Somehow the author mixes Nazi conspiracies, political commentaries on the Brazilian Military Dictatorship and the folklore of the Centro-Oeste region of Brazil.
    Hope this gets translated to Spanish soon. I was highly impressed with A tristeza extraordinária do Leopardo-das-Neves.

Pascal Quignard, Les Solidarités Mystérieuses

First time reading real fiction by him, since the other book I read was the first part of his Dernier Royaume, Les Ombres Errantes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Pascal Quignard, Les Solidarités Mystérieuses

First time reading real fiction by him, since the other book I read was the first part of his Dernier Royaume, Les Ombres Errantes.
    If I recall correctly, I think Cleanthess is a fan of Quignard, n'est-ce pas?