Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Recently Begun Books

Default Re: Recently Begun Books

Quote Originally Posted by tiganeasca View Post
    Daniel,
    Very curious about the Doderer. He is a writer who has long intrigued me. And I have never been able to get very far into any of the books I've tried. Can you say a little more about why you find the book so lousy?
    I was advancing normally with the short stories about 10-15 pages lenght; out of the three I read, only one was good, the other was readable and the other was really mediocre trying to be funny or witty. Then it comes a novella about 65 pages dealing with medieval topics, chevaliers and dragons which it is insufferable. I haven't been able to end this story as I had to put this book away for a week before I can give it a final try before abandoning it. After this there are two more short stories about the same lenght of the initial ones.
    He has a reputation of being a good writer but probably the short story-novella form is not where he better performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    I was advancing normally with the short stories about 10-15 pages lenght; out of the three I read, only one was good, the other was readable and the other was really mediocre trying to be funny or witty. Then it comes a novella about 65 pages dealing with medieval topics, chevaliers and dragons which it is insufferable. I haven't been able to end this story as I had to put this book away for a week before I can give it a final try before abandoning it. After this there are two more short stories about the same lenght of the initial ones.
    He has a reputation of being a good writer but probably the short story-novella form is not where he better performs.
    Hmmm. I've heard and read the same about his reputation. I've not tried short stories but I have tried (several times) a couple of his major works, a novel called The Waterfalls of Slunj and another much larger work, The Demons. I've gotten in varying amounts but each time have finally given up. This does not bode well. Thanks.

Hmmm. I've heard and read the same about his reputation. I've not tried short stories but I have tried (several times) a couple of his major works, a novel called The Waterfalls of Slunj and another much larger work, The Demons. I've gotten in varying amounts but each time have finally given up. This does not bode well. Thanks.
    Well, if it's not only his short stories but also his novels, a field in which he is more recognized and with his alleged masterpieces, then probably he is not the kind of author for me. Thanks as well Tiga.

So, concomitantly with Bleak House, which I'm greatly enjoying, I am reading this book of essays of Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam; I'm in the third one, and I must say I'm falling in love with this woman. Her mind is so brilliant, and the way she exposes her takes on matters long established as truths, having her own opinions on them, is very inspiring to me. Also her writing, intricate as it is, is a bliss to read; to enter someone else's mind and slowly get used to its way of processing things until it is fluent to you - can you ask for something better than that in reading?
    Last edited by Bartleby; 11-Feb-2018 at 16:32.

Sodom & Gomorrah

Gottfried Keller, Green Henry

Erwin Mortier, Marcel

Gottfried Keller, Green Henry
    I'll be eager to hear your impressions of this one. It's a book that I've been tempted to pick up in the past.

I've read a fair amount of Keller's stories which I like a great deal. The exposition is taking a while to get underway but it has the ring of familiarity to it. I just hope I can make it through the 700 pages or so....

Alexander Pushkin, Eugene Onegin

I have tried several times before and always bogged down early. But I must have finally hit the sweet spot in age because it's going much more smoothly than before.

Starting up a few books this week, just to get caught up on Black History Month (I'm starting my reading late) and to get ready to seeing Angela Davis speak at the beginning of March.

1. Angela Davis -Women, Culture, and Politics
    2. Ama Ata Aidoo - Our Sister Killjoy
    3. Tayari Jones - An American Marriage (Audiobook).