Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

Default Re: 2017 International Dublin Literary Award Shortlist

Glad to see Couto, Agualusa and Luiselli short-listed. Pamuk probably don't need this award anymore.
    Don't care about the English written works really.

I hope to God that Enright's book doesn't hinge on a child being molested. She uses it every time, .

There are fully six books on that list that I would like to read. I'm impressed.

The only book on the shortlist I've read is A Little Life. I gave it about a 4.5/5. The book is very clearly flawed in my opinion, but this really doesn't detract much from it as a whole. The plot has numerous portions that border on absurdity, most of the main characters' lives become very unrealistic over time, and at times it basically reads like a soap opera. However, it's also a nearly 800 page-long exploration of gayness, bisexulaity, disability, and self-harm. There are some very well written passages and Yanagihara delves deep into the thought processes involved in self-harm and those who enable it. I'd be fine with it winning. It also seems like a relatively easy safe considering it won the Kirkus prize and was shortlisted/a finalist for the Man Booker, National Book Award, and Andrew Carnegie Medal for Fiction.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Yanagihara's previous work, The People in the Trees, which uses anthropology and the exploration of a newly explored Polynesian island discuss the life of a Nobel-winning pedophile (loosely based on real events).

Default Re: International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

Angolan author Josť Eduardo Agualus won.

http://www.dublinliteraryaward.ie/ne...-is-announced/