Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071
Results 1,401 to 1,415 of 1415

Thread: Introduce yourself

Default Re: Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by beigecoffee View Post
    Hello guys,

My name is Nikola. 22 years old. I'm from Belgrade, Serbia (Southeastern Europe). I registered because I want to meet new people and also read about great literature. I'm also interested in cultural anthropology. Currently a law student.
    Welcome, Nikola! I look forward to hearing about some of your favorite books. I've never been to Belgrade, but hope to visit some day. It's such a beautiful city. By the way, Nikola Tesla looks a bit like Stefan Zweig in my avatar pic.

Hey, thank you for your kind words. When it comes to books, I'm not into Serbian writers, but one of my favorites is Things fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, because I like African culture so much. Also I like anthropological literature like Coming of Age in Samoa by Margaret Mead. I will think about other books I've read and mention them here. This came first on my mind.

When it comes to Belgrade, you are welcome. Others always mention Nikola Tesla when they hear my name (I mean foreigners )

Hi Nikola, welcome to this place. Hope you like it!

I am interested in how people read Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark. I read it so many times that I am not sure anymore about whether the Snark hunting crew consists of nine members or of ten members.

Hi all!
    I'm new here. My name's Barb.

I write reviews of translation services for Pick Writers.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barbyeary View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm new here. My name's Barb.

I write reviews of translation services for Pick Writers.
    Thanks
    Welcome, Barb. I'm not familiar with Pick Writers. Could you share some details?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Welcome, Barb. I'm not familiar with Pick Writers. Could you share some details?
    Thank you, Stevie)
    It is reviews site for translation services. They have evaluated each translation service against specific criteria, so that we can present an objective and factual review.
    Currently I'm a writer for PickWriters.

Hi,
    I'm Tomasz from western Poland. I work at the University, teaching law, social philosophy, and social sciences. World literature is just my pastime (but maybe some day I will write something in law and literature field, who knows?) I read in English and Polish, started reading in German. I will be probably more a reader than an active participant here.

Welcome, Tomasz. I just looked at some pictures of Poznan and I love the architecture. Olga Tokarczuk is a Polish author who is often praised on the Forum. Have you read her? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thank you
    I've read only House of the Day, House of the Night. I liked it, but wasn't captivated enough to read anything else. However, it was years ago and my literary taste changed significantly since then.
    Her last book, Księgi Jakubowe (Books of Jacob, 2014) has received critical acclaim, e.g. won Nike in 2015 (most prestigious Polish literary award) and became bestseller (as most of her books in Poland). It was already translated into Czech and Swedish, German is coming soon. It tells the story of Jacob Frank, XVIIIth century Jewish mystic and self-proclaimed Messiah. The novel looks really promising, but it is huge (nearly 1000p), and I'm not in a mood for such long books right now.

Hi fellas,
    I started participating in the Nobel thread, but I never introduced myself formally. My name is César. I am from Mexico but I live in Texas right now. I am a mathematics professor that loves literature, so I read as much as I can in my (always shrinking) spare time. Side note: some brilliant writers studied math to the benefit of their creative skills, like David F. Wallace, Thomas Pynchon and J.L. Borges.
    Some of my favorite authors are Octavio Paz, some of the usual suspects from Latin America/Spain, and J.M. Coetzee (another mathematician/writer). I hope to contribute more often here.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by garzuit; 10-Oct-2017 at 04:52.

Quote Originally Posted by garzuit View Post
    Hi fellas,
    I started participating in the Nobel thread, but I never introduced myself formally. My name is César. I am from Mexico but I live in Texas right now. I am a mathematics professor that loves literature, so I read as much as I can in my (always shrinking) spare time. Side note: some brilliant writers studied math to the benefit of their creative skills, like David F. Wallace, Thomas Pynchon and J.L. Borges.
    Some of my favorite authors are Octavio Paz, some of the usual suspects from Latin America/Spain, and J.M. Coetzee (another mathematician/writer). I hope to contribute more often here.
    Cheers.
    Welcome César! Maths and literature is an interesting combination. As you point out there are quite some writers who practiced both. An example from my country is Gerrit Krol, a mathematician and computer programmer who wrote many novels. Unfortunately hardly anything of his large production was ever translated in English. A bit more is available in German, Finnish and Italian, but probably not easy to come by. Looking forward to reading your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    Maths and literature is an interesting combination..
    Indeed.. I was looking at some of the books which dealt with this theme..

Yoko Ogawa's 'The House Keeper and The Professor' comes to mind, which I did not like a great deal. However, Doxiadis Apostolos' " Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture' was interesting ( read a log time ago)...

Welcome Professor !
    Jayan

I've never read it, but a professor recommended The Parrot's Theorem by Dennis Guedj as an excellent novel dealing with maths and literature.

Of course there is also The Solitude of Prime Numbers, but it only has a mathematic title and a very poor allusion to it throughout the book, wich is very mediocre to say the least.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!
    Although he doesn't talk about math in his novels (only his brief time at IBM in his fictionalized memoirs), you can see J.M. Coetzee's formation as a mathematician and computer scientist in the economy and effectiveness of his descriptions and dialogue.
    There's also Jorge Volpi's famous novel In Search of Klingsor, where a little bit of set theory and Gödel's famous theorem is even stated.