Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Book Award

Default Re: National Book Award

Isa, your comment is just stupid and let us know you know nothing about History. Your country, which is not America (America is the continent, which to begin with it should be named Colombia, Vespucci did nothing more relevant than what Colombo did) has always tried to take over the whole continent and it started a while ago with the Monroe Doctrine. "America for the Americans" it was a not very subtle way to say, these lands belong to us and we can rule over them, not Europeans. And they have done it in several ways, expading a certain colonialism, being intrusive in politics, supporting coup's against democratic elected governments not suitable for their interests etc. The least they've done is to call themselves americans, it is way more the damage they have done to the whole continent. People from the United States of America are americans but not only them.
    So keep on talking about literature that I think you know something about it and shut up on these topics when it's clear you have the same miopic view as all the Trump voters.

The comment mine was in reply to was

“American literature" includes, technically, the literature of all countries from North and South America and the Carribrean.”

Why then do the British refer to literature from the United States as “American?” In the English language this is the accepted usage.

If you have that big in issue with it why don’t you write to Oxford and tell them their English department is wrong in referring to it as “American literature.”

Do you have an alternate term to use? Perhaps the failed “Usonian” or “Columbian” of last centuries that never took hold.

I never said “America” is a country. I said “American” in English refers to people from The United States of America. As I’ve stated before, no term exists in the English language to refer to people from the United States besides “American.” Numerous failed attempts at coining alternative phrases petered our in the early 20th century.

I know nothing about history? You’re citing historical grievances that occurred centuries after the term “American” came into use. That does nothing. It doesn’t change linguistics or negate the use of the word.

“The least they've done is to call themselves americans.”

Yes, how dare the first and only sovereign country in the New World, (in the Americas), refer to the continent they lived on when declaring independence.

As I noted earlier, this term was popularized by the British (notably Samuel Johnson) writing about their own colonists. It was then adapted by the colonists themselves when they sought sovereignty.
    Last edited by Isahoinp; 01-Feb-2018 at 21:01.

This is the stupidest argument.

Should I not refer to Gabriel Garcia Marquez as a Colombian writer?

Columbia refers to the new world and Christopher Columbus. It was commonly used throughout the 18th century to refer to the British colonies and Spain’s holdings in the new world before being appropriated by de Miranda and eventually used as the country’s name when Colombia became independent.

Is Colombia the country appropriating this word and taking it from the rest of the Americas, which historically have been referred to as Columbia?

The pickiness being displayed here is becoming insufferable.

And just because a term has an accepted usage it means it is correct?
    Terminology has to evolve and if the Brittish only knew at the time about their US territory colonies, later becoming the first independent country in the continent, guess what? History didn't stop there!
    USA is not even a majority in terms of territory, population or language when it comes to America. In this aspect, the majority of real Americans, speak ESPAÑOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    And just because a term has an accepted usage it means it is correct?
    Terminology has to evolve and if the Brittish only knew at the time about their US territory colonies, later becoming the first independent country in the continent, guess what? History didn't stop there!
    USA is not even a majority in terms of territory, population or language when it comes to America. In this aspect, the majority of real Americans, speak ESPAÑOL.
    Real Americans? Really? I’m the one like Trump? Why don’t you go ahead and tell me more about the Fake Americans. Maybe I can read about them in the fake news

This is going way off-topic. May I offer some conciliatory points?

Isa is right that in English the term Americans refers only to people from the USA. In Spanish, American means anything from the continent. It's lost in translation, as they say here.

Now my original point was that either because there are many authors in the US writing in their native tongues or because they want to reward American (i.e. yanks) translators, they came up with that prize. We're splitting hairs, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by garzuit View Post
    This is going way off-topic. May I offer some conciliatory points?

Isa is right that in English the term Americans refers only to people from the USA. In Spanish, American means anything from the continent. It's lost in translation, as they say here.

Now my original point was that either because there are many authors in the US writing in their native tongues or because they want to reward American (i.e. yanks) translators, they came up with that prize. We're splitting hairs, I think.
    Right. This is getting ridiculous and turning into some sort of awkward political-linguistic nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Fake Americans... in the fake news
    Love it!

Please go on, folks! There is such an incredible shitload of nonsensical brawling on the internet by stupid people. This type of quarrelling by civilized, intelligent and well-educated individuals is a true delight. The crowd loves it!