Thread: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade

Award Peace Prize of the German Book Trade

The Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2011 goes to the Algerian in French language writing author Boualem Sansal, which is an important sign to the North African and Arabic countries at these times. Unfortunately I have not read anything by this guy but maybe some of you have and can comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boualem_Sansal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_P...man_Book_Trade

The prize money is 25.000 Euro. The statute of the prize is also very fitting for the current situation in this forum:
    The foundation is committed to peace, humanity and understanding among all peoples and nations of the world. The Peace Prize promotes international tolerance by acknowledging individuals who have contributed to these ideals through their exceptional activities, especially in the fields of literature, science and art. Prize winners are chosen without any reference to their national, racial or religious background. The Peace Prize is generally award on an annual basis and can also be granted posthumously.

Some recent winners:
    2010 – 2019

2000 – 2009

1990 – 1999

Default Re: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Apfelwurm View Post
    The Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2011 goes to the Algerian in French language writing author Boualem Sansal, which is an important sign to the North African and Arabic countries at these times. Unfortunately I have not read anything by this guy but maybe some of you have and can comment.
    I'm in the same position you do, I think it's a great push to the arab revolutions, a way to let them know that cultural western world has been looking at them and approve and honour what they've been doing. My only complain is that I'd prefered to have a winner who writes in Arabic, and not in an European language; that way, the message would have been stronger.

It's also, the first time I've heard about this writer, but it looks really interesting:

Sansal's latest novel, Le village de l'Allemand ou le journal des frčres Schiller, is the story of two Algerian brothers who burrow into the past and discover that their father had been a Nazi officer who fled to Algeria after the war. The book explores the fine line between Islamic fundamentalism and Nazism.
    Also very interesting the connection with the recently deceased and former winner of this prize, Jorge Semprún

His debut novel was Le serment des Barbares (Gallimard, 1999), which has now been made into a film based on a screenplay by Jorge Semprún.
    Last edited by Daniel del Real; 09-Jun-2011 at 21:52.

Default Re: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2011

I know nothing about this author but I share Daniel's point when he says:

My only complaint is that I'd prefered to have a winner who writes in Arabic, and not in an European language; that way, the message would have been stronger.
    As I have pointed out many times, it always seems sad, somehow, when authors end up writing in the former colonial language in a postcolonial situation. What the reasons are I do not know.

Those of you who are serious about examining Arabic literáture could look at this British magazine:

http://www.banipal.co.uk/

Default Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2017

Margaret Atwood keeps collecting prizes: only two weeks ago she was awarded with the very prestigious Kafka Prize and today she was announced as the recipient of the 2017 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade.

http://www.friedenspreis-des-deutsch...1/?mid=1341218

http://www.abc.es/cultura/libros/abc...ltura&ns_fee=0

Default Re: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade 2017

Perhaps the Nobel could be around the corner too. Has she released any music albums recently?

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    Perhaps the Nobel could be around the corner too. Has she released any music albums recently?
    Not yet but the summer is around the corner

Atwood is widely acclaimed for her musical interpretations of literary poems that speak to the condition of human reality, pioneering pathways in the Great Canadian Song Tradition, and shining light on the cosmos of scientific dreams and nightmare. Two of her celebrated recitals can be seen here, with over 1,000 views. A true visionary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ehL9cJ8ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3UWXHJCmk

In all seriousness, I wonder if this speaks about the hegemonic force of television in influencing decisions. It can't be a coincidence she got these two prizes the same year of the show, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post
    In all seriousness, I wonder if this speaks about the hegemonic force of television in influencing decisions. It can't be a coincidence she got these two prizes the same year of the show, huh?
    Something we actually agree on. I was saying this earlier. Without this television show I doubt Atwood would be winning all of these awards at the same time in this specific year (while the show is still airing weekly).

It's a bit frightening to think tv might play such a deciding factor in lit. awards.

(I actually like a good deal of your opinions, like I said elsewhere, particularly your writeup on the first volume of Pinter's collected plays.)

Default Re: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade

I think that its a bit reductive to say that her work is being rewarded because of a tv show. She has been a widely respected author for decades now. Sure, her recent stuff isn't as good as it was before, but besides Alice Munro and Leonard Cohen, she was widely regarded in Canada as our best chance at winning a Nobel Prize.

Default Re: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade

That's less specific to what I'm saying. She's won international prizes prior to this. I'm just saying that specifically the prizes she's won in 2017 while the tv show was actively airing on TV may have been influenced by the show.

Since the awards are so closely awarded timewise it's unlikely that the decision of one prize influenced the other. Thus to me, it seems pretty logical that the television show influenced this.

Her 2016 novel Hagseed certainly didn't seem anywhere near special enough to prompt one of these prizes.