Thread: Premio FIL en Lenguas Romances

Award Premio FIL en Lenguas Romances

This award is probably the second most important in "Spanish" language after the Cervantes Prize. Why do I write it between quoation marks? Because contrary to the Cervantes Prize, this one can be awarded to authors writing in Romance languages (French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian etc). Formerly known as Premio Juan Rulfo, originally could only award writers in Spanish language, but four years ago they amplified the scope to writers in Romance languages. I thought it was a very good decision that was confirmed when they chose Antonio Lobo Antunes the first year; but after that, they keep missing big authors in French and Italian specifically in order to give it to minor Latin American authors like Venezuelan Poet Rafael Cadenas and Mexican Margo Glantz.
    This year they improve a little bit with Fernando Vallejo but still is a poor choice judging for what the left on the table. I mean, Vallejos is a very interesting character, hilarous, sardonic, caustic, bleak, always with the biting commentary to the fact. Whenever you hear him talking he always brings the insidious comment that leaves you thinking and the smile full of dark humor. However I find his narrative plain and his thinking too visceral at times. It's not the fact he is too bleak, it is that he rants about everything without a proper supporting thesis and contradicting himself every time. Things like "he is a vegetarina because he is against animal cruelty but he feeds his dogs with chicken".
    A very quaint personality in the literary establishment always complaining about his publishing houses, editors, correctors and even about his readers. However he is a very down-to-earth guy, contrary on what you might think after hearing him rant about everything. Last year I went to him to sign me a book and he was a very nice and happy to be rounded by people.
    So, to summarize, good for him, bad for the Prize. I can't stop thinking that Amin Maalouf, Mia Couto or Antonio Tabucchi could have been in my city if been awarded wit this Prize.

Default Re: Premio Fil 2011: Fernando Vallejo

Here's the wiki article on the before mentioned Prize and the list of all past winners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Rulfo_Prize

Award Premio FIL in Romance Languages 2016

Last Monday, Premio FIL 2016 in Romance Languages was awarded to Romanian author Norman Manea. Since the Prize widened its scope in 2006 to include all romance languages and not only Spanish and Portuguese, the prize had gone to recipients in French (Yves Bonnefoy, 2013) and Italian (Claudio Magris,2014). The only big romance language yet to be picked was Romanian, and now this "debt" has been payed with the award going to Norman Manea.

I had heard his name before, there are a few titles translated to Spanish directly from Romanian, but he never captured my attention. Last Thursday a literature teacher at the University of Guadalajara, who was in charge to present a conference by this year's juror's president, Spaniard literary critic Mercedes Monmanny, told me Manea was a very likely candidate this year. That same day I picked one of his books of short stories just in case he was right, and he was. So far I've read two of his short stories (very long for being a short story) and I'm not sure what to think. Apparently his masterpiece is the novel The Return of the Hooligan in which he describes his return to Romania after years of exile; in this novel he also narrates Romanian history through all XX century. Found this novel and another one called The Black Envelope extremely cheap and ordered them in a local library; should arrive on Saturday.

Anyone has read him or have anything to comment about this author?

Default Premio FIL in Romance Languages 2017

Earlier today, Emmanuel Carrère has been awarded with the 2017 Premio FIL in Romance Languages. Although I'd prefer other french speaking names I think it is a solid choice and I'll be glad to see him at my city late November.
    So far I've only read L'adversaire, which I think it was weak. A month ago I bought Un Roman Russe so I'll give it a try. If it works, I'll go for Limonov, which I've heard it's his best work so far.