Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 226

Thread: New & Notable

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    ^So it's basically chick-lit?
    According to the reviews, it is more feminist literature, but maybe it got no such label because in Brazil chick-lit is not that popular "genre" unless it is something for very young women.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Statistical facts are not written in stone. Neither is human behavior. If the SA decide to honor a really old candidate they will honor a really old candidate. And neither age, nor history of publication, nor state of health are going to interfere with that.
    This is more of a serious question:

    Say they do honor a "really old" candidate, let's say someone in their 90s. What living authors this old are actually deserving of the award? Like say in 2017 they were going to award it to someone this old, who actually deserves it and meets the publishing criteria they stick to. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. John Ashbery seems unlikely now that Dylan's won it, but I suppose two years from now it's possible, numerous British/English writers have won over the last 30 years with small gaps between them.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,390

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Daniel used to have a list of Spanish and Latin American writers/poets who were well into their 80s / early 90s and were fully deserving of the Prize. We're discussing only a handful of names here because these are the people available to us either in English or in English translation. There are many authors with a long list of publications who are, sadly, not translated into English, and so we cannot discuss them here, but that doesn't mean the SA members aren't aware of them.

    I suppose my bottom line regarding the age factor was, Never say Never.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: New & Notable

    This age thing is probally an indication that the author is not very active anymore, his last works published long ago and authors in the 50-60 have their best works still fresh in the mind of people responsable for nominations , so it is possible to break the age limit, but will need a special name for this.

    Like this year, there was a bit of fuss because Lygia Fagundes Teles was nominated to represent brasil, but she is 93 years old, a woman, writting in portuguese - a lot of things to break and when you analyse her work she is nowhere that special (for example, like Drummond when he was alive could be) to break the "taboos". But we have to remind, this year Bob was something out of the rulebooks too.

  5. #205

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Isahoinp, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuntar%C5%8D_Tanikawa comes immediately to mind. There are a bunch of names in the discussions on the other forum.

    http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefiction...ic/11271133/1/
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefiction...ic/11756514/1/

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Tanikawa is 85 and thus still falls into my age range. So he doesn't really fit what I'm asking for.

    As for the threads, I'm not going to read through 20+ pages of speculation Age checking writers.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,181

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    You know, I keep waiting for a 90 year old candidate to win just to see your theory fall on its ass,
    I hope this year Nicanor Parra gets the prize. Currently at 102, he would be 103 at the moment of the announcement. Let's not forget he won the Cervantes Prize in 2011 at the age of 97.

    How would that affect your calculation Isahoinp?

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: New & Notable

    It doesn't look like he's published anything new since 2011 (or maybe that work is a compilation of older works), if so, then 2006. Either way, that's a large enough publishing gap that I seriously doubt he'd be considered. It's 6 years at least.

  9. #209

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Tanikawa is 85 and thus still falls into my age range. So he doesn't really fit what I'm asking for.

    As for the threads, I'm not going to read through 20+ pages of speculation Age checking writers.
    Yeah, I apologize. In my mind, he was over 90, and I linked that without bothering to confirm his age. My mistake.

    That being said, considering 1/3 to 2/3 of your total posts has been in relation to the Nobel, I posted those threads more as something I thought you'd enjoy reading than as material for you to fact check. Like others have mentioned, you behave in a rather entitled, petty manner, and your plagiarism has been noted in the Oe thread, as well as your frequent misreadings of academic articles. Perhaps acting with more grace and humility will get you further than your pretension of being a Nobel know-it-all with questionable literary taste (see your claim that Murakami is one of the greatest living authors).

    Anyhow, I realize I should end with pleasantries rather than with bitter criticisms, so I hope you know that being kind toward others, whether it's offline or online, will engender better relations than steamrolling others with the ideation of your fallacy of division. Take care of yourself.
    Last edited by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V; 20-Apr-2017 at 02:34.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Plagiarism? How can I plagiarize posts on a forum? I have no clue what you're talking about. Any time I've cited a new source, article, or academic journal I've linked to it. Please, link me to this plagiarism. It doesn't exist.

    I'm acting petty? Numerous things I've said have been stated previously by other members on this board (prizes being won because of politics, unworthy winners). Apparently everyone else gets a pass on the ciriticsms though.

    Do you realize that by saying I have "questionable literary taste" you yourself are behaving in an "entitled, petty manner"? You claim I need to act with humility yet you yourself are claiming to be a judge of literary taste and you're putting down others for having different views than you. Get over yourself. I'll start being humble when other start to behave that way back to me. I respect the opinions of those posting on this board. There are plenty of others here who are more we'll read than me. That doesn't mean I'm not going to express my own views though.

    Murakami continues to win major international literary awards and holds numerous honorary degrees from some of my country's foremost universities. You personally don't have to like him but denying that he's received these praises isn't going to change anything. If you do not believe that international prize winnings, honorary degrees, sales figures, and influence are evidence of being a "greatest author" that is fine. There are times I disagree with those things too as far as authors reputations go.

    I cite statistical fact and statements made by the Swedish Academy themselves in my "know it all" posts. They're facts. Proven over 100+ years of laureates being selected. Yes, the facts can change any time a new Nobel winner is selected. But until that happens I'll rely on them as indicators of the likelihood of one winning.

    And really, I'm acting like a Nobel know it all? During a discussion on Tolstoy not winning when I pointed out that Tolstoy hadn't been nominated in 1901 you responded back that you had "suspicions" that he had been, despite the Nobel's
    site clearly a showing this not to be true. I'd rather cite fact and be a "know it all" than be some sort of literary prize conspiracy theorist or deny facts outright.

    I'm not here to start arguments and rant but it's hard not to when nearly every time I post it's met with lengthy "holier than thou" put downs. This has nothing to do with new and notable books so we may as well stop arguing over age here.
    Last edited by Isahoinp; 20-Apr-2017 at 17:52.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,390

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Not a book, but "book-related": the Criterion Collection is finally releasing Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker on DVD and BluRay. The disc will feature a new interview with Geoff Dyer, who wrote a book about Tarkovsky, Zona: A Book about a Film about a Journey to a Room (discussed at length here). The movie was based on a sci-fi novel by the Strugatsky Brothers called The Roadside Picnic. The studio's choice of cover art for the DVD case is exquisite (most of their designs usually are!):

    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #212

    Default Re: New & Notable

    I want to go back to a previous posting on new, upcoming releases.

    That new, book-long poem by Adonis has me quite excited. I'll likely have to special order it at some point, but I really like what I have read of him. Yesterday I went into one of his poems and came out with a whole bundle of complex feelings. I suspect, every time I think of him, that he is somebody quite special in the history of world literature.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Not a book, but "book-related": the Criterion Collection is finally releasing Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker on DVD and BluRay.
    They're playing it at a local arts theater near me to celebrate. The only thing I know about the film is what Oe writes about it in his novel A Quiet Life.

  14. #214

    Default Re: New & Notable

    The winner of the Prix Goncourt 2016, The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani, will be available in English next February. It's already available in Spanish , Portugese and Italian, and will be published in German in August.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,181

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    The winner of the Prix Goncourt 2016, The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani, will be available in English next February. It's already available in Spanish , Portugese and Italian, and will be published in German in August.
    What a terrible title translation. Chanson Douce has nothing to do with The Perfect Nanny. It sounds like those stupid realities about misbehaved children and angelical nannies.

  16. #216

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    What a terrible title translation. Chanson Douce has nothing to do with The Perfect Nanny. It sounds like those stupid realities about misbehaved children and angelical nannies.
    I don't get the reason behind changing the original title either. I find it to be a quite annoying practice.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,390

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Collected short fiction of Gerald Murnane; also his new book (and supposedly his last work of fiction), Border Districts; essay collections by Mario Vargas Llosa and Ismail Kadare; Mia Couto's Woman of the Ashes; new novel by Peter Carey; two newly translated novels by Mario Vargas Llosa (The Neighborhood) and Ismail Kadare (A Girl in Exile: Requiem for Linda B.); a rediscovered classic novella by Theodor Storm; and Mrs. Osmond, a new novel by John Banville, which is a kind of sequel to The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James.

    I'm really excited about the first Murnane book. Finally, most of his short stories, in one affordable paperback volume!

  18. #218

    Default Re: New & Notable

    A new Llosa novel! I just realized that its been recently released in french. Damn you Liam for making me spend more money!😁

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,390

    Default Re: New & Notable

    ^Haha, I've been training myself to always wait for the paperback. Takes a bit of willpower, but I think I'm "there," in zen terms,

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,181

    Default Re: New & Notable

    Quote Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
    A new Llosa novel! I just realized that its been recently released in french. Damn you Liam for making me spend more money!
    Not to discourage you but that novel has had very bad reviews.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •