Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: New & Notable

Default Re: New & Notable

Murakami's newest novel will be released in Japan in February. Currently scant details about it exist aside from what Murakami has stated in interviews. It's supposed to be longer than Kafka On the Shore but shorter than 1Q84. It will be written in first person point of view as opposed to the third person point of view that he's used in every novel since After Dark.

2084: The End of World by Boualem Sansal will be out next year. It sounds like an intriguing book.

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    2084: The End of World by Boualem Sansal will be out next year. It sounds like an intriguing book.
    Finally! I actually thought they wouldn't translate it, but I'm happy because I won't have to learn French in order to read it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    Read it back in October. It is a very solid book with a trigger very similar to Houllebecq's Soumission. I think I made a short review at the Recently Finished Books thread if you're interested.

The great big Millions book preview for for the first half of 2017 has been released. I don't know why I've read it, when I haven't even read any of the books that I wanted to read and were released in 2016, or 2015 for that matter (well, maybe I read one published in that year?). There are just too many books in the world and not enough time. Anyways, take a gander and share which ones you think look enticing. Here are the ones which strike my fancy - a surprisingly small number, though I'm not in the market for buying a bunch of new books. There are a lot more that look interesting though. A ton of stuff coming out by people of colour!

Human Acts - Han Kang
    The Schooldays of Jesus - JM Coetzee

Tanizaki's final novel The Maids (finally in English); a collection of 17th century Chinese short stories; the Complete Stories of Peter Taylor; as well as volumes 1 and 2 of Ursula LeGuin's Hainish books.

The Accusation by the North Korean writer Bandi is being published this March in English.

A number of exciting new (or newly translated) publications: Remains of Life (part-novel, part-not-fiction) by the Taiwanese author Wu He; The Exploded View (novel) by the South African Ivan Vladislavic; two novellas by Yan Lianke; Fresh Complaint (stories) by Jeffrey Eugenides; The Golden House (new novel) by Salman Rushdie; The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy; the collected poems of Michel Houellebecq; and The Book of Emma Reyes (which looks amazing).

I'm intrigued with Arundhati Roy's long overdue second novel. Will it be as good as the first?

Fall catalog for New Directions: http://www.ndbooks.com/webhook-uploa...nterior_11.pdf

A new book of short stories by Kraznahorkai and the unfinished novel Kawabata was writing when he committed suicide.

Wow, what a goldmine, thanks Dan!!

Really excited about the new LK, and the cover for Henry Green's Concluding (which I've never read) is superb! I like how his style is described as a "gathering web of insinuations," that's so precise.

Hunter of Stories: Eduardo Galeano's final book; a new novel from Iceland: Woman at 1,000 Degrees; and a Russian/American cult-favorite Twelve Stories of Russia by A. J. Perry.

A new translation of Beowulf by Stephen Mitchell; the Complete Stories of Kurt Vonnegut; a new book-length poem from Adonis about the city of Jerusalem; John Ashbery's Poems 1991-2000; and a new novel from Brazil by Martha Batalha with the mysterious title The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao.

Can't wait for the new Beowulf in particular to see how it compares with Heaney's; I took a class on Magic in Old Norse Cultures with Stephen Mitchell and the man is a fountain of knowledge; he's also extremely kind to his students.

The Adonis poem looks very interesting; and if we have a Brazilian member who has read Batalha's book, can you please say a little bit about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    A new novel from Brazil by Martha Batalha with the mysterious title The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao.
    It's interesting to see how the same book is marketed in different places. The first two pictures below are Batalha's novel in Italian and Catalan. They might catch my eye at a bookstore for a possible purchase. The U.S. edition in the third picture, however, would make me think, this is a book my mom might enjoy.

If this is really a new, original publication by Adonis and not just a translation of an older work, then this year and next year are probably his last chances to win the Nobel. As he's 87 now and will be 88 in 2018. I've long considered him not possible because it's been so long since he's published. Supposedly he came out of retirement to write this book.

I guess it's more likely now than ever. He just won the $50,000 PEN/Nabokov award for lifetime achievement.

You know, I keep waiting for a 90 year old candidate to win just to see your theory fall on its ass,

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    You know, I keep waiting for a 90 year old candidate to win just to see your theory fall on its ass,
    It's not a theory, it's basically statistical fact. Mommsen (1902) was 86 years old. Since then only one older candidate, Lessing (2007), who was 87 years old at the time of her win (the Nobel site claims she was 88 but that's at the ceremony, at the time of the announcement she was 87), has won the prize. So it took 105 years for a laureate older than Mommsen to win and it's been 115 years since then and only this one older laureate has happened. So out of the 111 laureates since Mommsen only 1 has been older. In this 100+ year they've passed over numerous candidates who were surely older or the same age. Records from the 1960s directly state that age played a factor in rejecting Robert Frost, who was 86 at the time.

Adonis winning still has less to do with age though and more to do with him essentially being retired and not publishing for gap of time until now. Because like the age thing, publishing dates matter as well. A candidate who hasn't published in 5+ years is not going to win. The few scant instances where longer gaps occur include Transtomer, who was Swedish and additionally had a massive disabling stroke that affected his physical functions and then diplomats who couldn't win until they had left diplomatic service. Unless this book is new, it's been 10 years since he published which would quite thoroughly eliminate him.

So basically, him publishing again makes him likely again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    It's interesting to see how the same book is marketed in different places. The first two pictures below are Batalha's novel in Italian and Catalan. They might catch my eye at a bookstore for a possible purchase. The U.S. edition in the third picture, however, would make me think, this is a book my mom might enjoy.
    I haven't read, she is basically an "outsider" brazilian, to have the book published, she had to catch the eye of european publishing houses in Frankfurt Fair and only after that a brazilian publishing house decide to publish her (but had problems with money and passed the rights to another company, that finally published the book in the end of last year).

You can see by the brazilian cover the idea is similar to the US edition, but by what is said about the book and Marta herself says, you almost got it, as it is about your mom (or however mom is reading and was alive 100 years ago).
    Attached Images Attached Images

^So it's basically chick-lit?

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    It's not a theory, it's basically statistical fact.
    Statistical facts are not written in stone. Neither is human behavior. If the SA decide to honor a really old candidate they will honor a really old candidate. And neither age, nor history of publication, nor state of health are going to interfere with that.