Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Default Re: The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Other philosophers of note who aren't going to win the Prize (but they gave it to Dylan!): Charles Taylor, Martha Nussbaum, Gayatri Spivak.

Dylan was seen as unlikely by most, but given that he'd been in the betting odds for years and people had openly been stating that they'd nominated him since the late 1990s speculation on him made sense.

In theory all of those Philosophers fit a very general criteria for being able to win, but it seems unlikely to me that a Philosopher wins anytime in the near or even somewhat distant future. The same with "Historians" if we're talking in an academic sense. I suppose Alexievich technically counts as a type of historian but her works are basically oral histories rendered into prose which is what sets her aside.

Think of the long list of "perennial candidates" and commonly mentioned names, are any of these philosophers or historians really more deserving of the prize aside from awarding it to them for diversity/unconventionalness? To me not really.

I would say Habermas has as much merit as Sartre, at least. For the record, the SA has never shied away from unconventional choices (think Dario Fo). Right from the beginning it has taken a wide perspective on what "literature" is supposed to mean. The prize has never been about awarding whoever the literary establishment thinks is most deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    I want to see a play-write win.
    I think you mean playwright.

Two other categories that come to mind but haven't been named in the last week:

*Children's Literature: There are rumours that there were discussions in the SA on awarding the Nobel to Swedish children's writer Astrid Lindgren. According to this article http://www.expressen.se/noje/han-kam...a-nobelpriset/ Knut Ahnlund and Lars Gyllensten were among the supporters who wanted to give her the prize but there was a majority led by Artur Lundkvist and Erik Lönnroth which halted this because they thought that children's literature wasn't serious enough. I don't have any source on it but I've read that Knut Ahnlund once said in a radio interview that the SA had discussed the possibility of splitting the Nobel between Astrid Lindgren and Tove Jansson, but chickened out because of the Johnson/Martinson controversy in 1974.

*Travel Literature: Even though many of the former winners have written travel literature there isn't anyone who has had it as their particular speciality, right? Is there anyone particularly specialized in travel writing who you would like to see win?

Travel literature. That could be an interesting choice, although the only name that comes to mind (and I've never even read his work) is Bill Bryson.

As far as travel literature goes VS Naipaul basically covered that. The most well known/respected author at this point who writes mostly "travel literature" is Paul Theroux, Naipaul's one time protoege. So that seems unlikely.

Murakami writes a fair amount of travel literature (none of which is translated into English aside from partial translations in Academic journals) but even if he won those works likely aren't significant enough to warrant any mention from the SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I think you mean playwright.
    That is definitely the word I was aiming for. Thanks.

(As a side note, though it is not related to this because I'm not sure I have ever consistently spelled playwright correctly in my life, I find that, since 90% of my life is now operated in a second language, that my first language spelling skills are deteriorating. Specifically I'm catching myself making errors like "they're" instead of "their" or "there" instead of "their". Thankfully I am mostly catching them, but I'm rather surprised by it...)

As for Children's Literature. I think that would be a great genre to recognize. On the plus side, a lot of really wonderful literary fiction writers have also stepped into works for Children. I suppose the best known or most easily cited example is Tove Jansson. I've never read any of her children's work, but the one novella of hers that I did read was simply ex-cep-tion-al. I've recommended it to at least half a dozen folks over the past month. But she's dead, so that reduces her chances of getting the prize a good deal. But Louise Erdrich, one of my favourites, has ventured a good deal into the field of children's literature, and Salman Rushdie has released two quite good books directed at children/early teenagers. That said, I suspect that if the academy were to recognize any of writers that have focused on children's literature it would be in addition to their work for the literary adult. Can anybody think of others who have devoted energies to children and adults and produced good, high quality literature with exceptional writing across the spectrum?

I know nothing about travel literature. I tend to avoid it, though I'm tempted by some of the recognized classics, like Saramago and Chatwin and Naipaul and Matthiessen. But I don't know of any living writers aside from Bill Bryson.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    As far as travel literature goes VS Naipaul basically covered that. The most well known/respected author at this point who writes mostly "travel literature" is Paul Theroux, Naipaul's one time protoege. So that seems unlikely.

Murakami writes a fair amount of travel literature (none of which is translated into English aside from partial translations in Academic journals) but even if he won those works likely aren't significant enough to warrant any mention from the SA.
    But if they were ever to award a Nobel Prize to a Theroux, I'd much rather his brother Alexander receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    Well, perhaps it is too soon, but things can really go high unconventional one day. Quino and Bill Watterson are very good writers and what would be more unconventional than rewarding comic strips? In this spirit, Alan Moore, Art Spielgelman, Neil Gaiman have wrote some of the best comic books ever. Since drama writting is rewarded, maybe in a few years movies writing will be considered too, abeit, it is a bit too hard since the scripts are not published so often (what exactly we will find in script by Noah Hawley's Fargo or David Lynch's Twin Peaks?).
    I would *love* Alan Moore getting the Nobel!

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Think of the long list of "perennial candidates" and commonly mentioned names, are any of these philosophers or historians really more deserving of the prize aside from awarding it to them for diversity/unconventionalness? To me not really.
    True, but when you look at winners over the past ten years, how many of those were perennials? You have Le Clezio, Müller, Mo Yan, Modiano, and Alexievich. A few had been previously discussed as potential winners, but none were perennials. I can't see the SA passing over a historian or philosopher they like to award someone who's been on that list for a while, like Nooteboom or Antunes.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    True, but when you look at winners over the past ten years, how many of those were perennials? You have Le Clezio, Müller, Mo Yan, Modiano, and Alexievich. A few had been previously discussed as potential winners, but none were perennials. I can't see the SA passing over a historian or philosopher they like to award someone who's been on that list for a while, like Nooteboom or Antunes.
    Noteboom will never win it and likely hasn't been in consideration in years. He hasn't published since 2010. This is past the publishing time frame they follow (the winner hasn't to have published within the last 5 years, there's around 4 exceptions ever to this and they're all very old).

And yes, those specific examples weren't "perennials" but you're leaving out many of the winners in the last 10 years who were: Bob Dylan, Alice Munro, Tomas Transtromer, Mario Vargas Llosa, Doris Lessing

"None were perennials."

I'd say all of those I listed (half the winners) were perennials.
    Last edited by Isahoinp; 07-Jul-2017 at 19:04.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my comment, but you misunderstand me. Of course some perennials won in the last 10 years; when I said none were, I meant from my list and left the rest off because they had clearly been in contention for a while. My point was that if the SA finds a philosopher, historian, etc, worthy of the prize, they're not going to put them on hold to award some guy who's been on their radar forever but never won.

One writer from South Asian who I would really want to win is Nadeem Aslam. He's not obscure per se, but not as widely read as he should be. He has written 5 novels, each of which is a critical success. Colm Toibin, A S Byatt, Alan Hollinghurst, David Mitchell and Salman Rushdie are some of his fans. My favorite of his novels is Maps For Lost Lovers. His new book, The Golden Legend, came out earlier this year and I am hoping it will at least be longlisted for the Man Booker. He was longlisted for the Booker in 2004 and shortlisted for IMPAC dublin in 2005 for Maps For Lost Lovers. Also won Yale's Windham Campbell Prize.

Would really be happy if he wins in the next 10-15 years. Too young right now to be a contender.

It really might be interesting to see a contemporary poet who is yet to win the prize, as well as a promising one that may attain in in the span of the next 20 years..