Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Default The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Who is too young to get it now, or doesn't have enough of a body of work yet, but you think might one day either deserve or receive the prize? (Feel free to add yourself, your acquaintances, your unborn children, etc.) I.e. Writers whose future outputs you have very high hopes for.
    Last edited by adaorardor; 07-Oct-2011 at 23:43.

Default Re: The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Two excellent German writers who can definitely win them in 10-15 years:

Reinhard Jirgl
    IlijaTrojanow

What is so great about each of them? What are their great books?

I notice you didn't provide details about yr writers either, huh.

You must have misunderstood me. My questions were not sarcastic or challenging at all, I was simply honestly curious to learn more about two writers I know nothing about. I'm interested to hear more about them.
    Last edited by adaorardor; 07-Oct-2011 at 23:43.

I can't bring myself to see either Mitchell or Bernstein as contenders. Ever. Houellbecq, that would be the end of the Nobel for me.

Jirgl, although I have read only one book -- but I'm told there will another translated one next year --, could stand a chance if the rest of work is anything close to the level of the one I read.

Trojanow... tell me about him, a book of his was recently published in France. I'm curious.

In trying to come up with names for this thread, I realised I don't read books by young writers It's either dead folks or really old people. And that's just wrong.

That's an interesting list adaorardor, and a good concept for a thread. Unlike fausto, I'm quite keen on Mitchell, but I think the strongest candidate there is Hemon. Wonderful writer.

Other possible names:

Joseph O'Neill: Netherland was the best novel on the Booker longlist this year - bizarre that it didn't make the shortlist. Haven't read his other stuff yet.

Amitav Ghosh: did make the Booker shortlist and I hope he wins - he's had quite a varied output and he's always a fascinating read.

Vikram Chandra: first three books have been super promising. I stalled halfway through the massive Sacred Games, but I'll definitely be returning to it.

Jhumpa Lahiri: writes exquisite short stories. Her one novel was not as good.

Michael Chabon: terrific stylist - maybe a bit mired in the genre stuff at the moment, determined to prove a point.

Richard Flanagan: maybe the strongest Australian candidate for this thread (Peter Carey must surely be in the running for real)
    ?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Richard Flanagan: maybe the strongest Australian candidate for this thread
    ahem.

Michael Chabon: terrific stylist - maybe a bit mired in the genre stuff at the moment, determined to prove a point.
    yes, but its exactly the genre stuff together w/serious subjects such as the Shoah (continued, in a way, w/ Gentlemen of the Road) that may make him a very serious contender

Nigeria Re: The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie a Nigerian writer. She's promising

Vikram Seth. Need I say more?
    I'm not really from outer space: I'm just mentally divergent.

My Blog

Yes, Igu Soni, do say more. Why Vikram Seth? There are lots of writers queuing up to receive the Nobel. Why specifically should he jump the queue?

What is interesting is not the name, but the reason. When they award the Nobel, they always give a little spiel about the reasons underpinning their decision. Such an explanation would be interesting here too, prior to the next winner being announced.

Otherwise we reduce the whole thing to "because I think s/he's good - so there; let's bet on it", which is a little short of explanation for those of us who have never read Seth, Adichie, T?ib?n, Welbeck, and so on.

You're right. Pardon me; I posted that a couple of minutes after I was reading A Suitable Boy and I'm under that spell, you know.
    Honestly, I've only read two separate halves(of The Golden Gate too), so I couldn't possibly say what the reason might be, though I think that it could well be about the depth of his characters and his skill at capturing the feel of a place accurately(I do realise that these are common traits, but there's an emphasis in his works, you know).
    No particular reason he should jump the queue. Apologise for flippant post.
    I'm not really from outer space: I'm just mentally divergent.

My Blog

Post Future Nobel Prizes

The spirit of the Nobel is still with me
    So, I decided to start a thread where one can speculate about future Nobel Prizes. By future, I mean like 10 years time, or so. Obvious names, already in the running are not relevant.

My first suggestion is the Portuguese writer Gonšalo M. Tavares
    ( he is young, 40 years old) but he is very prolific and won almost all the major literary prizes in Portugal (with the exception of the Cam§es Prize).

Any more suggestions?

Default Re: Future Nobel Prizes

I agree on Gonšalo M. Tavares. Saramago once said to him while delivering a prize: "I want to beat you for being so good at such an young age."

Also, I bet on Nathalie Handal. Not 10 years from now, but maybe 20 ou 30. The Lives Of Rain is one of the most touching books I've read in a while. Her mix of personal poetry with politics has that special ingredient the Swedish Academy loves. Also, she speaks in the name of minorities and the oppressed people of Palestine, which makes her a serious future contender.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasM View Post
    she speaks in the name of minorities and the oppressed people of Palestine...
    Which makes me want to die of boredom. Great literature isn't made of speaking in the name of minorities and the oppressed and in any event let the minorities and the oppressed speak for themselves, thank you very much.

Sure, but my point is: the Nobel committee often choses its laureates based on the political character of their oeuvre. And besides being a very a talented poet, Nathalie Handal also has the political element by her side in this matter.

I can see Kazuo Ishiguro nabbing it one day.

Two Eastern European possibilities, give them a few more years (or decades):

Taras Prochaśko
    Mikhail Shishkin

Go to Granta Young Novelists lists and you'll find plenty of young talent.