Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 801

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    I will come back to this post of yours after the announcement, trust me By the way, this is a different statement, first you said that these writers are the only ones 'having the scale' (which is crap), now you say that one of them will win the prize (which is a completely different thing).
    Not exactly true I say that this is the short list 2012 from wich the Laureate will come...
    And for this short list my preference goes to Haruki MURAKAMI and Philip ROTH...

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    I think your criteria are a load of dingo's kidneys, if you excuse my language. I do not think anyone is following such rules, just because it would be nonsense. And of course, you can neither give any reference for your claims nor can you prove it on basis of the list of former laureats. So who cares, you can believe what you want, but you will not convince anyone else of this.
    Another one, I don't need to convince nobody...
    I just says what I mean...
    Now if you're not trust me... please read the Nobel Prize Speculation 2011 formun...
    or if you can read french :
    http://www.critiqueslibres.com/i.php/forum/sujet/9165
    My nick name ist the same...

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    I do not have time to read all of this... a summary maybe?

    In that linked French thread (thanks for this!, quite an impressive list of candidates in your posts, wow!) you made all of those typical pseudo arguments for why an American must win since it was so an so long ago that the last one won etc... as I said, that is a load of dingo's kidneys... see my comment above... why should the US have a special role?... why should I not claim with similar certainty that Brasil will get the Nobel this year, because the last one was ... well... that's plain silly

    also the other thread clearly shows that you do not have any authority to make such 'certain claims' for who is going to win or who is on the final short list of 5 writers etc. you are just a nobody, as all the others here, doing some speculations about all of this, which is fine, only nobody else claims to know with certainty. And just because you were lucky once or twice you think you have mastered prohpecy? You were lucky because the last two years longstanding favorites won. Did you predict Herta Müller three years ago? No? Why? Right, because by putting up a list with 10 or 15 of the usual suspects you always have a decent chance of getting the winner among them in the years where they take one of them world renowned candidates.

    so... that's that ... I think we will meet again in October... looking forward to
    Last edited by maidenhair; 24-Aug-2012 at 14:58.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Not exactly true I say that this is the short list 2012 from wich the Laureate will come...
    And for this short list my preference goes to Haruki MURAKAMI and Philip ROTH...
    And I say that nobody besides the academy members et al. know about the real lists at this point. By the way according to this
    http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...re/nomination/
    there are 15-20 preliminary candidates every year and 5 priority candidates.

    I am 100% convinced that you talk about things you know nothing about. Never in a trillion years would their list of 15 preliminary candidates consist of longstanding favorites only (favorites as seen by the general public), like your list does. In my opinion this fact about your list proves that your list cannot be the 'real' shortlist.

    And here a prediction from me: Murakami will never get the Nobel prize in literature.
    Last edited by maidenhair; 24-Aug-2012 at 15:23.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    Right, because by putting up a list with 10 or 15 of the usual suspects you always have a decent chance of getting the winner among them in the years where they take one of them world renowned candidates.

    so... that's that ... I think we will meet again in October... looking forward to
    Another one... I just put my monney on two candidates... NOT 10, NOT 15 but 2 : Mr. Philip ROTH from the USA and Mr. Haruki MURAKAMI from the Japan... That'all!... Is that crystal clear for you now?...

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    I do not have time to read all of this... a summary maybe?

    Then just read the last page please...



    You were lucky because the last two years longstanding favorites won.
    Not true! Mr. Tomas TRASTRÖMER was absolutely NOT one of the favorites last year...
    If you don't belive me, another one, please read the Nobel Prize Speculation 2011...

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    878

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Sure Eduardo Mendoza is an author I respect and enjoy but I (...) don't think Swedish Academy will award a writer who mainly writes novela negra/policiaca. Hardly a sub-genre like this will be taken seriously to get the big thing and this is the main reason I have to rule him out of the contest. Antonio Muñoz Molina is an author that also plays a lot with detective/crime novel.
    Mr. del Real, thank you for your careful assessment of the Spanish/Latin American writers as regards to the Nobel-Prize odds.
    Now that you mention it, isn't it odd how many of the big names have written either straight or mixed genre novels, novela negra (noir) even?
    To give a couple of examples, besides the usual suspects, Mendoza and Muñoz Molina. We can name, Patrick Modiano, who has many novels that mix conventional literary fiction with spy/mystery/detective plot elements. Cormac McCarthy: Blood Meridian (western), No country for old men (novela negra), The Road (apocalyptic fantasy, I haven't read this one yet, so I might be wrong). Paul Auster: The New York Trilogy; Robert Coover (even though what Mr. Coover actually writes is parodies of genre fiction), S and M : Spanking the Maid; Western : Ghost Town; Hard Boiled Thriller: Noir; Children's Books: Pinocchio in Venice, etc.
    Now, this trend could have started with Nabokov's Laughter in the Dark or with Graham Greene's entertainments or maybe even with Faulkner's Sanctuary, but it would seem that many great writers have embraced the challenges of writing genre fiction.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Not true! Mr. Tomas TRASTRÖMER was absolutely NOT one of the favorites last year...
    If you don't belive me, another one, please read the Nobel Prize Speculation 2011...
    That's just wrong. He was a favorite for years and years, was next to the top of the ladbrokes list last year from beginning to end. So stop talking nonsense. Also the years before he was next to the top or at the top. So maybe you should stop building your own reality. If people mentioned poets, Tranströmer was always among them as one of the top favorites, probably for the last decade. So you really think you made a surprise prediction there? Man, wake up!

    And how about answering my Herta Müller argument? You cannot right? Damn.

    For completeness: the starting odds of Tranströmer at Ladbrokes the last four years:
    2011 9/2
    2010 5/1
    2009 12/1
    2008 20/1
    Last edited by maidenhair; 24-Aug-2012 at 19:03.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by ditofer View Post
    Yes, that's correct. Nicanor Parra is a tiny bit old.
    Here it is the "Cueca Larga", sung by her sister Violeta. :-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kujvrze5-Y

    And I won't insist with Cohen. Just thinking Canada does not have any Nobel Prize and he got the Príncipe de Asturias this year. Hallelujah!
    I agree about Canada, but after reading a couple of his poetry books I found Cohen to be a poor decision for the Principe de Asturias. Not a bad poet but nothing really great to watch there. Although none of the authors I'm gonna mention are between my favorites there are many Canadaian names with more solid possibilities than Cohen: Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, Michael Ondaatje & Rohinton Minstry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Not true! Mr. Tomas TRASTRÖMER was absolutely NOT one of the favorites last year...
    If you don't belive me, another one, please read the Nobel Prize Speculation 2011...
    Totally false. Tranströmer started second at 9/2 on last year's ladbrokes list and he remained at the top five during all the speculation time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    Andrea Camilieri is just a proficient genre writer. No way is he Nobel standards.
    Haven't read him, but I have the impression he is similar to Eduardo Mendoza

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Another one... I just put my monney on two candidates... NOT 10, NOT 15 but 2 : Mr. Philip ROTH from the USA and Mr. Haruki MURAKAMI from the Japan... That'all!... Is that crystal clear for you now?...
    If you are not understood properly you might find the reason for this in your bad command of the English language...

    what a piece of nonsense is this? The Nobel people have now chosen 5 writers for the priority list. The final decision will not be made before end of September or beginning of October. So how much sense does it make to restrict yourself to two writers??? Fine, if you want to do this. Ok. You say Murakami or Roth this year. We will see in October. I would bet some money that you are wrong. Murakami will never win it. Of course, there is always the danger for the terrible, terrible outcome of Roth winning it finally.

    But let me summarize your extensive argumentation for why one of them both is going to win this year:
    Mr. Haruki MURAKAMI (helped by his last two world bestsellers Kafka and 1Q84)
    and Mr. Philip ROTH (helped by the totality of his work, his age and the fact that no one American writer has been awarded since 1993! ...)
    So Murakami because he wrote two bestselling novels and Roth because he has a large body of work, is old and Morrison won it 19 years ago.

    I admit you have won, this argumentation is bullet-proof, I have to admit. Wow, I think it will convince everybody here that these two writers are the only ones in the whole wide world distinguishing themselves with the mentioned assets and consequently must get the award this year...
    Last edited by maidenhair; 24-Aug-2012 at 19:30.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,494

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    And I admit that I think there are plenty of things one can get so personally worked-up about, just not some stupid Nobel Speculation for 2012, damn it, .

    However, if the Mayans are to be believed, this will be the last Nobel in existence. So yeah, this is huge.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    After carefully checking the ladbrokes list again, I see there is a Latin American novelist present, someone I had no idea of his existence: Daniel Chavarría.
    Has anyone have any reference of him or even better, read him?
    Probably he is this year's Amarilla guy

    Here's his very short wiki entry

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Chavarria

  13. #213

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Wow, what a lot of names. It's a wonderful thing there are so many good writers in the world.

    I already said on this thread that if the Prize were to go to Spain (which I very much doubt), the best candidate was, for me, Juan Goytisolo. I don't know why, I was just thinking of novelists. Thinking now about poets, my Spanish candidate would be Jose Manuel Caballero Bonald.

    Maidenhair, I think you're too hard on Philip Roth. Agreed, of late he has written a lot of trash, but he has some good books to his credit (The Plot Against America, American Pastoral, I Married a Communist).
    Last edited by Flint; 24-Aug-2012 at 21:24. Reason: I had forgotten to say something about Philip Roth

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Here's what our pal M.A. Orthofer has to tell about Ladbrokes opening the doors of possible heaven

    http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/#dh5

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post

    For completeness: the starting odds of Tranströmer at Ladbrokes the last four years:
    2011 9/2
    2010 5/1
    2009 12/1
    2008 20/1
    Sorry, but I don't make my speculation with Ladbrokes... this is NOT literature, this is only a betting website!...
    Now just stop thinking Ladbrokes... just thinking with your knowledges, your heart...

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post



    Totally false. Tranströmer started second at 9/2 on last year's ladbrokes list and he remained at the top five during all the speculation time.
    Same reply : Sorry, but I don't make my speculation with Ladbrokes... this is NOT literature, this is only a betting website!...
    Now just stop thinking Ladbrokes... just thinking with your knowledges, your heart...

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    You say Murakami or Roth this year. We will see in October. I would bet some money that you are wrong. Murakami will never win it. Of course, there is always the danger for the terrible, terrible outcome of Roth winning it finally.
    Ok, You don't agree with my choises... Now why you don't give us your choises and we will see on the end who's right and who's false?...

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    1,676

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    I'm surprised that Argentine poet Juan Gelman is not even listed on the Ladbrokes list. Not that I particularly like the guy or his poetry, but he definitely stands a chance. I'd also improve Irish William Trevor's odds from the current 100/1.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    4,494

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    I'd also improve Irish William Trevor's odds from the current 100/1.
    Totally. He's a modern master.

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Minnesota: "icebox of America"
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    After carefully checking the ladbrokes list again, I see there is a Latin American novelist present, someone I had no idea of his existence: Daniel Chavarría.
    Has anyone have any reference of him or even better, read him?
    Probably he is this year's Amarilla guy

    Here's his very short wiki entry

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Chavarria
    Interesting cover pic from an English translation of a Chavarria novel set in Cuba.


Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 Speculation
    By Daniel del Real in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 729
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2011, 20:37
  2. Nobel Prize in Literature 2010 Speculation
    By Daniel del Real in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 491
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2010, 13:02
  3. Nobel Prize in Literature 2009 Speculation
    By Stewart in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 465
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2009, 13:03
  4. Nobel Prize in Literature 2008 Speculation
    By Stewart in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2008, 22:59

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •