Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    John ASHBERY ; Don DeLILLO ; Paula FOX ; Joyce Carol OATES ; EL DOCTOROW...
    I'll have to disagree with you on JCO. I've read a few of her works and she's never really clicked with me. If she wins the Nobel, it will be only because the academy decided to fill it's ladies quota. The rest I agree with you on. I was only pointing out Pulitzer Prize winners who have a decent shot at the Nobel.

every year the same names.
    why not a poet? just because Transtromer won two years ago? besides John Ashbery, two other worthy names are Richard Wilbur and Gary Snyder
    or a short-story writer like James Salter

Don't forget age is also a factor. When it comes to 80+ year old writers, you're entering tricky territory. Only 4.6% of all the laureates were 80 or older. As sad and unfair as it might seem, the academy seems to often times skip over someone just because of their advanced age (I know they did not seriously consider Robert Frost one year because of this).

talking about short stories:
    I’m not interested in writing short stories. Anything that doesn’t take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing.
    Cormac McCarthy

Speaking of Cormac McCarthy and short stories...

http://biblioklept.org/2011/02/02/wa...rmac-mccarthy/

http://threeandahalfthumbs.wordpress...ning-incident/

The first page of "A Wake for Susan" is scanned weirdly, but don't let that deter you, after that it gets normal enough, and look! There are even quotation marks!

Edit: Ignore that link to "A Wake for Susan", it cuts part of it out. The whole story can be found here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/literature/c...llege_student/

Also, although it is true that McCarthy was a college student when this was published, in order to not upset any would-be writers because they can't write so well I would like to say that he took some years off from college and that this was first published when he was 26.
    Last edited by redheadshadz; 01-Aug-2013 at 00:54.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Jeffrey Eugenides (although he needs a few more books under his belt)
    I'm just so angry with Eugenides. I first read "Middlesex" and I loved it, I thought it was perfect, and after it I immediately bought his other two books. I read "The Virgin Suicides" and it was so disappointing. Not that it was bad, but it was just ok, not even good. And, because of "The Virgin Suicides", "Middlesex lost, for me a lot of its greatness. I still have to read "The Marriage Plot" but I don't want to do it. (Talking about more books by Eugenides: what happened to that short stories book that he has been saying is almost ready since 2011?)

What do you think about Lydia Davis? I've read only 20 of her very short stories and I'm thought they were kind superficial (I don't know if this would be the word to describe it). I'm going to buy one of her books because I felt their stories separated don't make much impact but if you read 200 pages of it, all of them together, you may fell its force.

For Eugenides, I read The Virgin Suicides and was unimpressed and then read The Marriage Plot. I didn't like it at first, but it stuck with me, and now after some time I can say it's one of my favorites (although popular opinion disagrees with me on this...).

And Lydia Davis is a bore. I read her collected stories. Interesting stuff, but not something I would ever want to read again. I hope she doesn't win the Nobel. I was glad about the Man Booker thing, because critical reception for her work has been lacking (I don't like her stuff, but I admit I can see why others would), but the Nobel? No way (hopefully).

I'll have to disagree with you on JCO. I've read a few of her works and she's never really clicked with me. If she wins the Nobel, it will be only because the academy decided to fill it's ladies quota. The rest I agree with you on. I was only pointing out Pulitzer Prize winners who have a decent shot at the Nobel.
    I'm ok with you, but if the Swedisch Academy must "fill" a ladies quota what about the names of : Paula FOX, Claribel ALEGRIA, Margaret ATWOOD, Assia DJEBAR, Friederike MARÍCKER, Alice MUNRO, Svetlana ALEXIEVITCH, Isabel ALLENDE....

Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    every year the same names.
    why not a poet? just because Transtromer won two years ago? besides John Ashbery, two other worthy names are Richard Wilbur and Gary Snyder
    or a short-story writer like James Salter
    Ko UN, Philippe JACCOTTET, Jude ST╔FAN, Yves BONNEFOY, Eeva KILPI, Friederike MARÍCKER, Kenneth WHITE, ADONIS, Claribel ALEGRIA, Juan GELMAN, Adam ZAGAJEWSKI, Les MURRAY......

And Lydia Davis is a bore. I read her collected stories. Interesting stuff, but not something I would ever want to read again.
    I fail to see how a "bore" could succeed at writing "interesting stuff," . Either her stuff is boring, or it's interesting (IOW, not boring).

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I fail to see how a "bore" could succeed at writing "interesting stuff," . Either her stuff is boring, or it's interesting (IOW, not boring).
    It's interesting to see what constitutes a story for her. It changed my perception of what can be called a story. The stories themselves were pretty bad, though...

Other possibilities:
    Junot Diaz
    If Junot Diaz wins a Nobel Prize I will be so bitter I might never read again. Okay, that's a wild exaggeration, because I love reading too much ... but seriously, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion especially on such an inherently subjective subject ... I just happen to feel very strongly that Diaz is a complete and utter hack, a terrible terrible writer and worse storyteller, and that his winning the Pulitzer for that utter turd of an Oscar Wao novel is a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by RASimmons View Post
    I just happen to feel very strongly that Diaz is a complete and utter hack.
    I'd say a lot of people would agree with you. For myself, I tried to read Oscar Wao and found it unreadable; Drown had potential, but was ultimately destroyed by its own descent into vulgar mediocrity.

I have hopes for Alice Munro, but I don't know if they are realistic. I have loved her works more and more with each reading. Her collection Runaway may actually be the best short story collection I have ever read. The first story alone is a classic; it only gets better as the themes compound from one to the next. I've started reading William Trevor as he is often mentioned as another master of the short story form, and would say his work is also very strong but I find the writing somehow less perfected. That said, what I have read has explored some really impressive relational themes (similar to Munro). My choice for Munro may also be a result of my nationality; I think she is Canada's best chance for a Nobel, or, at least compared to Atwood, the most worthy.

Atwood is a capable author for sure. I have enjoyed a lot of her work, and am quite excited for the release of her third MaddAddam novel this summer. But I don't think she is Nobel-worthy.

I would add to this a mention for Cormac McCarthy, whose work is damn fine (though perhaps his earlier work is all-the-finer). I would be very pleased to have him receive the award.

If Munro doesn't receive it, and I doubt she will sadly, I hope it goes to Ngugi Wa Thiong'o. His writing is phenomenal, if not particularly stylistic; but what matters is his awareness of politics and people and crisis and chaos. A Grain of Wheat is one of the best books I have ever read. Everything else that I have been able to find of his (frustratingly difficult in Canada) is almost as good; always fresh and engaging, always unsettling, always political, always aware and intelligent.

Aside from that? I would be listing authors that I have been told to appreciate rather than that I actually appreciate. I'm sure they are great, but I've not read their works so it would be wrong of me to mention them.

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Isabel ALLENDE....
    Is this a joke?
    It must be a joke
    If not I'll just quote RASimmons words and replace Junot Diaz for Isabel Allende.

Quote Originally Posted by RASimmons View Post
    If Junot Diaz wins a Nobel Prize I will be so bitter I might never read again. Okay, that's a wild exaggeration, because I love reading too much ... but seriously, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion especially on such an inherently subjective subject ... I just happen to feel very strongly that Diaz is a complete and utter hack, a terrible terrible writer and worse storyteller, and that his winning the Pulitzer for that utter turd of an Oscar Wao novel is a travesty.
    Not only did he win the Pulitzer for that novel written in some sort of Dominican-pidgin English but he sits on the Pulitzer Prize board of jurors. He's in part responsible for there being no award for fiction in 2012, despite the strong list of contenders, including Denis Johnson and David Foster Wallace.

To be fair, one of those books is half finished, one was published a decade ago, and the other took a turn for the worst and started sucking midway through, and none of the titles were as good as people now give them credit for, mostly because of the lack of an award.

Also, my list was about notable Pulitzer prize winners. Junot Diaz in recent years is one of the most notable without contest.

David Foster Wallace... He would be a great name for the Nobel... I still can't believe he committed suicide.

To be fair, one of those books is half finished, one was published a decade ago, and the other took a turn for the worst and started sucking midway through, and none of the titles were as good as people now give them credit for, mostly because of the lack of an award.

Also, my list was about notable Pulitzer prize winners. Junot Diaz in recent years is one of the most notable without contest.
    Oh, yes, I realize you weren't specifically endorsing Diaz, and you were entirely right to include him as a notable, and relatively popular, recent winner. Mine was just a pet peeve rant I had bottled up for a while.

Anyway, to get away from the Pulitzer conversation, what about Haruki Murakami? I am not personally a big fan of his writing (not that I don't think he is a very skilled writer, mind you, I just don't LIKE his style and generally find his characters/plots to be more grating than enjoyable, but I fully understand and appreciate why he is such a monumental figure in modern literature), but he is very popular and has been considered to be some form of candidate for a while now. That said, I feel like the proverbial "buzz" about him has died off in recent years. I feel as though his two most recent novels were not received terribly well (in comparison to his earlier work).