Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    I'd be angry too if I was a woman but it doesn't mean that I'm not right. :P And yeah, I like Szymborska, Jelinek, Muller (or Virginia Woolf, or some Polish female classics, like Maria Konopnicka or Eliza Orzeszkowa) but it doesn't mean that the Swedish Academy doesn't choose female writers from political reasons. :P
    Thankfully not everyone is as closed minded as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    No problem. It's the same thing as my thinking that Rushdie is a good writer at all. Or has ceased to be one. Or that many male readers to this day (including on this board) are sexist pigs and they don't know it :P
    And maybe the main reason is that it's easier to connect with the male point of view when you are a male reader. Yeah, that's possible. :P And obviously some male Nobel prize winners are also questionable (Le Clezio, for example). But it doesn't mean that you're sexiest pig if you think that Munro isn't as deserving as Ngugi. If it means this than I can also say that you're racist. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Elie View Post
    Thankfully not everyone is as closed minded as you.
    If "closed minded" means 'not to judge literature by the gender of its author' than I'm 'closed minded', all right.

Alexievich now finds herself at 4/5 in the Nobel betting. Presumably this means that the Swedish Academy have privately already made their minds up and have all gone down the bookmakers.

Well, she was 4/6 so it seems that she's starting to slip!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Completely agree. Let's cut the crap in here and be completely honest. This is about good literature and not being politically correct. I'm sure there are great female voices out there to be discovered by literary majorities, but Oates, Atwood, Djebar, Munro, etc are not worthy.
    I myself happen not to be a great fan of Munro's, but watch out, because she can sneak up on you. You can, for instance, be reading one of her stories, feeling slightly bored by the setting and annoyed by the characters, and then you realize all of a sudden that your pulse is racing and that you're right on the verge of breaking through to something that hadn't been evident to you before. I think her unconditional admirers are more attuned to these moments than I am and experience them more often.

With the laureate announced (Alice Munro), speculation is now closed. Please refer to the Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 thread to discuss the choice.