Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Because unlike Rulfo he has written more than two super short books...
    On Rulfo, I found this in Eduardo Galeano's book.

The man who Knew how to keep Quiet

Juan Rulfo said what he had to say in a few pages, all bone and meat, with no fat, and then he kept quiet.

In 1974, in Buenos Aires, Rulfo told me he didn't have time to write as he'd like to, due to his workload as a civil servant. In order to have time he needed a leave of absence, and you had to ask doctors for the leave. "And you can't", Rulfo explained, go to doctor and explain, "I feel sad" because doctors don't give leave for that.
    Jayan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Ladbrokes move: Jon Fosse form 25/1 to 12/1.
    To be honest I wouldn't like to see a playwright winning it.
    Why? The last one won almost 10 years ago, and Fosse also has an impressive list of novels to his name. He's young, but I'd be mad if he never gets it.

And that's too bad about Rulfo. You'd think royalties would let him quit his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    So what? Nicanor Parra is a 100 and he MUST win the Nobel.
    MUST?... Unfortunately you and me we are not members of the Swedisch Academy...

Why? The last one won almost 10 years ago, and Fosse also has an impressive list of novels to his name. He's young, but I'd be mad if he never gets it.
    Absolutely true!...

It is not necessary to speculate a lot... Jon FOSSE, Milan KUNDERA, Umberto ECO, Peter NADAS, Haruki MURAKAMI, Ko UN, ADONIS, Amos OZ, Ngugi Wa THIONG'O, Ismaïl KADARÉ, Cees NOOTEBOOM...

One of this will have the 2014 Literature Nobel Prize...

And that's too bad about Rulfo. You'd think royalties would let him quit his job.
    Don't like modern drama.

Jon Fosse has the same age Pamuk had when he won. He has received a dozen prizes, always a plus, and according to some pages I read (i.e. The Independent), he is the most performed European playwriter nowadays.

On the negative side, he is a converted Catholic, and everybody knows about Graham Greene...

Is there any work from him somebody here would recommend, to start with? I saw he has some good editions in English.

He is a converted Catholic, but it is not one of his major themes like Greene, so there is hope for him yet.

I've only read 1 book by him, but since no one else is responding to you, Vasquez, I'll try to come up with an answer. If you like prose, he only has 2 novels in English, Aliss at the Fire (a novella about a woman thinking about her husband, the day he drowned, and his family, quite good) and Melancholy (about a famous Norwegian painter and a mental breakdown he has). Be warned, all of his prose is stream-of-conscious, but I eat the stuff up so I love it. Apparently his two most acclaimed novels haven't been put in English yet, unfortunately.

As for his plays, I've only read a minor one act called Sa Ka La. It was okay, I'd probably like it more on the stage, and almost the entire introduction was about how English cannot show all the nuances it has in Norwegian. I Am the Wind seems to be one of his more famous plays, and it's translated too. His other plays I have not heard much about. Hopefully a Nobel win would mean more translations!

Fosse intrigues me as a winner, though I must say that his topics in his novels don't interest me in the least. If I ever see his work I'll pick it up, and if he wins I'll certainly give it a try, but the synopses of his books don't intrigue me in the least. That said, neither do the synopses of fellow-Norwegian's Knut Hamsun's work, but his novels are always really quite wonderful so I should go into it a bit more open-mindedly I suppose.

Based on his memoirs I would be thrilled to see Karl Ove Knausgaard get the nod. It'll be a while before that happens though - I think he is going to need to release a few more books (hopefully more fiction) before that happens - but I think his work is quite strong. Beyond quite strong actually. He speaks to his generation really quite well, and to those older and younger than him as well. His lostness is something quite brilliantly composed. I would be disappointed if Fosse winning it (which seems unlikely given Transtromer having received the prize only a few years ago, and rightfully so) would make it much more difficult to Knausgaard to get it in 10 years. Which it would.

But I suspect that if it doesn't go to an African it will go to a theatre-focused writer. It is good to see so many African options, though. 3 or 4 really strong contenders, each of whom has released several strong pieces. My heart is still in it for Ngugi, but with only about another month of speculation left to go it may be time to start reading another novel by him just to become more confident in nominating him as one of the strongest and best contenders.

He is a converted Catholic, but it is not one of his major themes like Greene, so there is hope for him yet.
    Mauriac used Catholicism as one of his recurrent themes and he won the Nobel Prize. I don't see that as an obstacle to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Jon Fosse.....

On the negative side, he is a converted Catholic, and everybody knows about Graham Greene...
    What's wrong with being a Catholic, converted or born? I don't think the Academy discriminates based on religion. Greene didn't get the Nobel prize because the Academy thought somebody else deserved it more than him not because he was a Catholic.

I've only read 1 book by him, but since no one else is responding to you, Vasquez, I'll try to come up with an answer. If you like prose, he only has 2 novels in English, Aliss at the Fire (a novella about a woman thinking about her husband, the day he drowned, and his family, quite good) and Melancholy (about a famous Norwegian painter and a mental breakdown he has). Be warned, all of his prose is stream-of-conscious, but I eat the stuff up so I love it. Apparently his two most acclaimed novels haven't been put in English yet, unfortunately.

As for his plays, I've only read a minor one act called Sa Ka La. It was okay, I'd probably like it more on the stage, and almost the entire introduction was about how English cannot show all the nuances it has in Norwegian. I Am the Wind seems to be one of his more famous plays, and it's translated too. His other plays I have not heard much about. Hopefully a Nobel win would mean more translations!
    I only know Fosse for having seen a performance of one of his plays: "A Summer's Day". I saw it in Spanish and, beautiful as the play was, I had the feeling that much of the language subtleties was lost in translation. The theme of the play was quite mystic: a woman remembers a stormy summer afternoon when her husband went off on a boating trip and disappeared, the story being told both in flashbacks by the now old woman and recreated by her former self, played by a different actress . The language was rather laconic, Pinter-esque, almost minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    What's wrong with being a Catholic, converted or born? I don't think the Academy discriminates based on religion. Greene didn't get the Nobel prize because the Academy thought somebody else deserved it more than him not because he was a Catholic.
    Sorry, but not the Schwedish Academy, just Mr. Arthur LUNDKWIST!...

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    I know the Academy don't judge based on religion (or the lack of it).

It was a bit of sarcasm. Didn't expect everybody to take it so seriously. Won't do it again!

Anyway, today I'm traveling and I'll be back exactly on Oct. 9th (the day they will probably give the prize). So, one less bloke in this thread calling possible laureates paperback writers and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    I only know Fosse for having seen a performance of one of his plays: "A Summer's Day". I saw it in Spanish and, beautiful as the play was, I had the feeling that much of the language subtleties was lost in translation. The theme of the play was quite mystic: a woman remembers a stormy summer afternoon when her husband went off on a boating trip and disappeared, the story being told both in flashbacks by the now old woman and recreated by her former self, played by a different actress . The language was rather laconic, Pinter-esque, almost minimalist.
    Interesting, that sounds very close to the plot of Aliss at the Fire. I guess Fosse is one of those writers who recycles themes, not that there's anything wrong with that. The only problem I had with the novella was how much time she spends reminiscing about other tragedies that happened in her former husband's family, I never really got why that was such a big deal for her as opposed to her husband's death or the problems her own family had faced.

Can you say anything more about the play?

On the theme of Norwegians, I recently heard about Dag Solstad [>30 works; Norwegian Literary Critics' Award three times; translated into more than 20 languages], and mentioned as Norway's greatest contemporary writer in a number of places. Does anyone else know anything about this writer?

As soon as I hear about Dag Solstad for the first time on this forum, he pops up in this article about Murakami as one of the Japanese author's favorite living authors.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-of-pilgrimage

Interesting. I looked up some reviews of his books in English translation, they seem to be very "love it or hate it." He could be a big contender, though I think Fosse's status as the most staged living playwright might give him an edge.

Hello All,

I love the discussions going on here, and had a question. If you had to choose one work by your favourites what would they be? This is a little serving because although I'm familiar with many of the front-runners Ngugi, Djebar & Murakami, there are many you guys have mentioned that I'd like to get some more exposure on. And even though the uber-text masterpiece formula is reductive I think its a useful exercise. Thanks!

Ladbrokes list hasn't move in a while, nor it have added more authors to the list and frankly this is making it the most boring Nobel wait in years. Still three weeks to come, but in previous years everything was different, more entertaining at least.

Probably I spoke too son. Little movements at least: Alexievich improves to 10/1 and Richard Ford gets in the list with 33/1

Quote Originally Posted by Suavissimo View Post
    I love the discussions going on here, and had a question. If you had to choose one work by your favourites what would they be? This is a little serving because although I'm familiar with many of the front-runners Ngugi, Djebar & Murakami, there are many you guys have mentioned that I'd like to get some more exposure on. And even though the uber-text masterpiece formula is reductive I think its a useful exercise. Thanks!
    Here's a good list of works to introduce the frontrunners:

Svetlana Alexievich-Voices from Chernobyl
    Javier Marias-A Heart so White
    Jon Fosse-Aliss at the Fire
    William Vollmann-The Ice-Shirt
    Laszlo Krasznahorkai-I think any of his books other than Seiobo There Below would be good, that one is good but so very dense
    Enrique Vila-Matas-Read A Moveable Feast by Hemingway and then read Never Any End to Paris. I find I sometimes need to prep myself for his novels by reading other books because he relies on them so much
    Peter Nadas-Haven't read him, I think you just have to jump right into one of his 2 big books
    Gerald Murnane-Inland

Hope that helps!

And interesting about Ford. Alexievich I would expect to have a jump, but Ford for some reason has never really been viewed as a possible American contender, unfairly so, I think. He probably won't win this year after Munro, but unlike Bloom's big 4, he's somewhat young, so that's an advantage (well, not really, he's 70, but that's still young enough to be able to wait a few more years, where as DeLillo, McCarthy, etc, are all going on 80).

Do any of you know where you can see nominated writers for previous years (I know there's a 50 year interval, but that would take us up to 1963 which would be very interesting to see)