Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    If I remember correctly, some years ago they sent some experts to North America to check the writers there, and a year or two later send those experts to Africa. As Munro won...
    They must have sent the intern who brings the coffee to do the checking in North America, if Alice Munro was all he found.

The Swedish Academy urgently needs to award a heavy-weight of letters, and that means very few choices: Edward Albee, Milan Kundera, Philip Roth, William H. Gass, António Lobo Antunes...

I would be infinitely happy if Ferreira Gullar would win the prize. But maybe I think he is Nobel-worthy just because he is Brazilian and we don't have the prize. Maybe it's one of those things it's hard to be impartial. Not only, he is the last of the greatest Brazilian writers... I enjoy his poems, love some of them, altough he has just a few books - his canon is made of 8 books, and they are quite short. I believe he has written half of the poems Transtromer wrote. And his remaining works - children's literature, essays, etc. - goes from ok to abysmally bad. So, in the bottom of my heart I know he will never win (but it would be nice anyway).
    That would be a great choice; I loved what scarce poetry I read by him; my favourite modern poet alongside Adam Zagajewski.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    For Japan, I've heard mentions of some poets in the past but can't now remember their names. Yoko Ogawa is too lightweight in my eyes.
    Both Yoko Ogawa and Banana Yoshimoto, to me are in the same league. Not understood, why the hype around them. They are very ordinary, for what I read of them.
    Jayan

I'd love to see Kundera win. Roth or Pynchon would be great too. But I think this year is Africa's year. Ngugi might finally get it, or Assia Djebar. Ngugi being culturally African (as opposed to white or Arabic) probably works in his favor. Awarding it to Djebar would give the Nobel its first back-to-back female winners, which probably works in her favor.

Just some more names:

In the bunch of writers I read and I think should not win, I would add: . . . Kadare But...

(wow, what a negative post!).
    Wholeheartedly disagree with you on Kadare.

I would not mind if Amos Oz won. I have read quite a bit of his works and have enjoyed them very much. However, given what is happening the in the Middle East at the moment, despite Oz's left leaning political stance, I don't think he will be taking the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    Wholeheartedly disagree with you on Kadare.
    I see. For many reasons, his work did not work out for me. Some books I have enjoyed, some not at all.

I believe less than half of the more recent Nobels would be unanimously considered a "right choice" by the people in this forum (and that's great).

So, imagine the non-laurates!

I see. For many reasons, his work did not work out for me. Some books I have enjoyed, some not at all.

I believe less than half of the more recent Nobels would be unanimously considered a "right choice" by the people in this forum (and that's great).

So, imagine the non-laurates!
    I'm 100% with Hrabal on this. Kadare should have won the Nobel many many years ago. He is a terrific writer and the Nobel would be dignified by having him as a laureate.

I concur with Hrabal and Daniel del Real both: Kadare is more than Nobel-worthy and I hope he gets it before it's too late.

Banana Yoshimoto is just not a possibility in my mind, she's nowhere near the calibre. Yoko Ogawa isn't bad but falls short for me — and that goes for Murakami as well. I really see nothing special in his prose. I haven't read Tawada though (need to brush up on my German).

I'd be quite happy if Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o got it, but I'm afraid his output isn't consistent enough. I haven't read Assia Djebar yet, so I can't comment on her chances, though I know she's been a favorite since forever; Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a promising author, I feel, but is way too young. Nuruddin Farah is an interesting candidate, though I've mostly his early work and it's a bit uneven, if ambitious.

I think I *should* hope Kundera gets the Prize someday, but as a recognition for his place in literature; I appreciate his prose, his themes, I can engage with his novels emotionally and intellectually, but they fail to really touch me profoundly. I don't think I'd mind if he were looked over, he's made his mark already without getting the Prize.

If László Krasznahorkai on the other hand were to be passed over, it would be a crime against literature.

Among the "4 big Americans", Pynchon/Roth/McCarthy/DeLillo, I think McCarthy merits particular consideration. His works have been consistently strong, with a very distinct voice and style. But with Munro just behind us, he may have to wait.

I'm glad Alexievitch popped up on the radar last year: I look forward to reading her. I've glanced over a few pages and it looks like she has a very unique voice and compelling themes.

I won't be sad or disappointed if Kadare win. Some books from him really pleased me (but some others displeased me more). I don't think he is unworthy - he has many qualities and his heart is always on the right place, even on the books I haven't enjoyed.

In truth, in his own post there is the following:

"Originally Posted by Heteronym

Of the five Kadares I've read, the best and funniest (always an important trait for me) is The File on H. [...]It's priceless. I noticed a lot of the same humour in The Pyramid, although that novel was flawed and I daresay even a bit dull."

And then I wrote:

"What a coincidence - those are the same books I read from Kadare! The File () is funny, has wit, and an important historical meaning. I have enjoyed The Pyramid (), but not the ending - I believe until the last chapters the book was very strong."

I still regard The File as a beautiful work. And I even liked The Pyramid, that many people disliked.

Maybe the two books I read after left a bad impression on me. I believe I should read a fifth... after all, I'm on a tie - 2 books I've liked vs. 2 I didn't like.

"What a coincidence - those are the same books I read from Kadare! The File () is funny, has wit, and an important historical meaning. I have enjoyed The Pyramid (), but not the ending - I believe until the last chapters the book was very strong."
    And what a coincidence again.. I had rated exactly the same way as you have done for The file on H and The Pyramid. In addition I've read "The Successor" which was also decent. I am not debating his nobel worthiness, but I personally likes his satirical take on the world, Albania in particular. In the writing style I find a lot of similarities with Jose Saramago, which not many had agreed with me.

Translation, probably play a big role in Kadare's books in English. As I understand, most ( if not all) of the books are twice translated, through French. There are no direct Albanian to English translations. Not sure how much of it is lost in this process.
    Jayan

I would be infinitely happy if Ferreira Gullar would win the prize. But maybe I think he is Nobel-worthy just because he is Brazilian and we don't have the prize. Maybe it's one of those things it's hard to be impartial. Not only, he is the last of the greatest Brazilian writers... I enjoy his poems, love some of them, altough he has just a few books - his canon is made of 8 books, and they are quite short. I believe he has written half of the poems Transtromer wrote. And his remaining works - children's literature, essays, etc. - goes from ok to abysmally bad. So, in the bottom of my heart I know he will never win (but it would be nice anyway).
    C'mom, when you wrote this Ariano Suassuna was alive and Manoel de Barros still alive. Those are two great brazilian writers, so good that I hope those Nobel's crones do not try to promote themselves with Manoel.

I guess I should read some more of Kadare's work. So far I've read The Dream Palace (years ago, left me cold), The Successor (above average) and Agamemnon's Daughter, which I really liked. I have yet to read a book by him that would make me think he's Nobel worthy so maybe I'll pick up his The File of H. or The General of the Dead Army (fantastic title).

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    C'mom, when you wrote this Ariano Suassuna was alive and Manoel de Barros still alive. Those are two great brazilian writers, so good that I hope those Nobel's crones do not try to promote themselves with Manoel.
    Between you and me (it's a secret) - I don't like Suassuna at all. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post

And of course, the biggest debt for this year would be with the US, but I don't see it coming; no back to back English language winners.
    Why not?...

1989 Camilo José CELA Spanish language
    1990 Octavio PAZ... Spanisch language

Quote Originally Posted by spacepirate View Post
    Banana Yoshimoto for Japan - at a push - although her writing seems far from the Nobel aesthetic?
    Is that a joke?...

I think that this year the Nobel will be for a long time front runner and big, big writer, so I can say the names of : ADONIS ; Nuruddin FARAH ; Ismaïl KADARE, Milan KUNDERA, Claudio MAGRIS, Les MURRAY, Amos OZ, Ngugi Wa THIONG'O ; Ko UN ; Cees NOOTEBOOM, Antonio LOBO-ANTUNES...

My favorite for this year will be : Haruki MURAKAMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Why not?...

1989 Camilo José CELA Spanish language
    1990 Octavio PAZ... Spanisch language
    Ok, let's see the real possibilities for a Spanish writing author to get the Nobel.

In my opinion, strong candidates right now are in Spain. You have plenty options to choose from, all of them with international recognition, the right age and a more than respectable corpus under their arms. Juan Goytisolo, Luis Goytisolo, Juan Marsé, Enrique Vila-Matas, Javier Marías, Antonio Muñoz Molina. Two or more from this group should win the Nobel the next 10 years.

Latin American chances vanished after MVLL got it back in 2010 and Fuentes died in 2012, specially for prose writers. If I had to choose a novelist it would be Ricardo Piglia. I see him stronger than Cesar Aira, who I don't think his fragmented works can be truly appreciated by the Academy. Piglia is also experimental and could be considered post modernist but he knows his craft, he's always in command and Respiración Artificial is a true masterwork. Jorge Edwards would be a good choice, though I haven't read much by him. He is also from the old guard.
    Mexico is going through a generational change. Old writers alive like Fernando del Paso, Sergio Pitol and Elena Poniatowksa don't have the necessary international stature for prizes like this. The younger generation is still between their late 40-50's, and although really promissory, you still need from 10 to 20 years to see if they developed accordingly to expectations: Jorge Volpi, Ignacio Padilla, David Toscana, Álvaro Enrigue, Guadalupe Nettel, etc.

For poetry, my two favorite perennial candidates died last year. José Emilio Pacheco & Juan Gelmán. However, if the prize goes to Latin America, it has to go to a poet, because we still have Ernesto Cardenal (89) and Nicanor Parra (99) alive, our ancient masters of poetry. Because of their age, don't see it happening.

Wow, that was a great post! Thank you for that. I'll check those authors - I don't know most of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Ok, let's see the real possibilities for a Spanish writing author to get the Nobel.

In my opinion, strong candidates right now are in Spain. You have plenty options to choose from, all of them with international recognition, the right age and a more than respectable corpus under their arms. Juan Goytisolo, Luis Goytisolo, Juan Marsé, Enrique Vila-Matas, Javier Marías, Antonio Muñoz Molina. Two or more from this group should win the Nobel the next 10 years.
    Daniel, Luis Goytisolo's name seems to come up as a potential Nobel winner every year, but I've yet to see any English translations of his work. Maybe you or Bubba could take on that challenge?
    Last edited by Stevie B; 31-Jul-2014 at 08:48.