Thread: Nobel Prize Contenders 1964

Award Nobel Prize Contenders 1964

Sartre declining the prize, with Sholokhov coming second to a prize he'd win next year. Tanizaki also in the short list.

More information at Orthofer's note:

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/#pl5

Default Re: Nobel Prize contenders 1964

For anyone interested, Orthofer did an expanded post today:

http://www.complete-review.com/saloo...01501b.htm#po9

Personally, I don't agree that they made the right choice with Sartre, but he's made an impression on many others, including my favorite writer, Oe, so maybe I just haven't read the right stuff by him yet.

I agree. His literature is basically a showcase for his philosophy (and is rather messy in its construction: Nausea for example has the main character undergoing not one, but several existential "epiphanies" about how life has no meaning other than that which we give it and ho so many people just go through the motions of living, in "bad faith" to use Sartre's terms). I have no problem with giving the Nobel to philosophers (Russell was a great choice), but IMHO Sartre's existentialism is more of a retread of Heidegger (with all the problems THAT raises, especially now that the Black Books are out), Kierkegaard, and a sprinkling of Nietzsche. I agree that he was an important writer and philosopher (with problematic politics), but to my eyes not really Nobel caliber.

I don't have issue with Sartre winning the Nobel, but that comes with only limited background in either his works or the works of any of the other contenders. Maybe not the strongest of all possible candidates, but I do think his short fiction collection "Intimacy" is one of the greatest collections I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Nausea struck me as much less mature, perhaps for the reasons that nagisa pointed out. But I do think I'll read it again and give it another chance sometime this year. Maybe I'll connect with it more a second time. His Age of Reason trilogy is one of the few pieces of war fiction that I really would like to read in my life. I've never read any of his philosophical works, though, so I can't say much about that.