Thread: How come there are so many members but nobody posts?

Default How come there are so many members but nobody posts?

There are apparently 1867 members ( the day before yesterday there were 1848) ,but people here rarely post. Like what's the point of creating an account if you aren't going to participate or even post. If you want to just lurk then you don't need to register at all.

Default Re: How come there are so many members but nobody posts?

A lot of people register thinking they "might" participate, but then move on with their lives.

Many people register, post a few things, and then move on with their lives.

Conversely, quite a lot of these "users" are actually spammers who just haven't posted any spam yet. We've also had some people in the past registering under many different usernames (which is prohibited, although closing one account and opening another one under a different name is allowed).

Additionally, the number of members you see is a reflection of people joining the forum, from all over the world, during the past seven years. Lots of things can happen to a person during that timespan: people move away, get new jobs, start families, etc. Sadly, we have had at least two registered members who have died (that I know of, I was friends with one of them).

So: lots of different answers to your question, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Sadly, we have had at least two registered members who have died (that I know of, I was friends with one of them).
    So sad

I guess they were old literature lovers . May they rest in piece

I would say some of them register expecting a more active message board and get disappointed!

(This is my first post).
    Last edited by Tommy Gun Angel; 17-Apr-2016 at 01:32. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun Angel View Post
    I would say some of them register expecting a more active message board and get disappointed!

(This is my first post).
    You were disappointed too?

EDIT: WOO! 5,278 members and still counting. It doesn't matter if you post or not, being part of the biggest literature forum on the web is all that counts!
    Last edited by kadare; 14-Sep-2016 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun Angel View Post

(This is my first post).
    This was my case.I opened two accounts on two different foruns but chose the more active one.
    You come back to this one and no one has answered.
    Last edited by Leseratte; 12-Oct-2016 at 03:35.

hi to everybody, i'm new sorry me english(i'm spanish) i like literature and i think is good share experience

Quote Originally Posted by electroduende View Post
    hi to everybody, i'm new sorry me english(i'm spanish) i like literature and i think is good share experience
    Hey! You're very welcome. :-) It's always good to have new members. No worries about your English too, I think this a good place to practice it and even learn some new stuff. De hecho, hay muchos hispanohablantes aquí. Creo que el idioma oficial del fórun es el inglés, todavía no sé si hay problema en escribir algo en español vez u otra.
    Tell us more about yourself on the Introduction thread, here on the General chat!

One question to Liam. Does "former Member" next to the username indicate the member passed away?

Not necessarily, though it can mean that, as well. Some people ask to have their profiles closed. They can't be "banned" since they're not spammers and haven't done anything wrong, so when their profile (think: account) is closed, they become a "former member." So far as I know, we have had three members who have passed away, most recently Eric. In their case, "former member" does indeed indicate that they're no longer with us.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew about Eric but when I saw some other "former members" like Mirabell, Rumpel.... etc I wondered if they had passed away too.