Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    When Kadare won the international Booker, some people raised questions about the precise nature of his relationship with the old Albanian regime. People question Kadare's relationship with Hoxha. Early in his career, Kadare published verses that, essentially, praised Hoxha and his revolutionary (murderous) regime while other writers were being persecuted. Kadare served in Albania's People's Assembly for 12 years, and was an influential member of the writers union senior hierarchy. He did have one hiccup in 1975, when he published a poem that the government did not like, but, generally speaking, he was not really critical of the government. You compare that to writer's like Muller, Kundera, Ludvik Vaculik, Havel, Mandelstam, Brodsky, Solzhenitsyn, Slawomir Brozek, Baranczak, etc., and his, at the very least, passivity stands out. Don't get me wrong, of the books I read of Kadare's, I think he is an outstanding writer but, that being said, because of his political past, he is controversial.
    Some people in his country still blame him for supposedly "supporting" the regime.
    One needs to take into consideration that Albania wasn't a typical communist country.We're talking here about the ISIS of communist countries.
    Hoxha not only went as far as banning religion, but he even accused ALL other communist countries of betraying the ideals of communism, because after Stalin died they became too liberal for his taste , so he isolated his stalinist country from the whole world. Communist dictators can be very irrational and paranoid and even the smallest mistake can get you killed. For example the current North Korean dictator killed an architect recently because he wasn't happy with the design of the new airport...
    So one can't blame Kadare for publishing verses or books praising Hoxha or for being part of the Assembly since I doubt anyone could refuse that "honour" without losing his head or spending the rest of his life in jail.

This quote describes it best:
    The first one of these objections, the idea that Kadare somehow wasn’t dissident enough and that hecooperated with the Hoxha regime, stems from a typically Western understanding of the anti communist dissident as an outspoken, Solzhenitsyn-like figure who publishes his dissenting work against enormous odds, and then emigrates to the bright and happy West—a Hollywood version of the Eastern European dissident. Kadare, on the other hand, belongs to the invisible multitudes that resisted dictatorial regimes from the inside, a much more daunting and heroic feat. Kadare survived for more than forty years publishing his quietly but unmistakably anticommunist novels under the very Stalinist nose of dictator Enver Hohxa. The only thing that would make him more of a hero would be if he had died under persecution (a constant possibility) and published his heretical stories from communist heaven itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Oh, no! Well, let´s read it...

I have enjoyed The File on H a lot, great book... I have enjoyed The Pyramid, maybe the ending is not on par with the rest of the book, but it left a strong impression on me. Broken April and Chronicle in Stone didn´t please me, I know they are very respected... maybe it was the translation? My state of mind at the time? I don´t know...
    I liked Broken April and The Pyramid. Broken April brings to mind the Albanian film The Forgiveness of Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    So one can't blame Kadare for publishing verses or books praising Hoxha or for being part of the Assembly since I doubt anyone could refuse that "honour" without losing his head or spending the rest of his life in jail.

This quote describes it best:
    I think the people that do hold his passivism, or lack of activism, against Kadare usually point out that he had the opportunity to defect (given that he traveled outside of the bloc), and given that he was such an important cultural figure (with consequent authority), in exile, speaking out against, writing against Hoxha's regime, and the totalitarianism that swept up eastern Europe, he would have had an audience but, instead, his critics point out, Kadare chose to remain in Albania and, for obvious safety reasons, passive about it for much of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by kpjayan View Post
    Some new names ... many I haven't known / read. Thank you much..
    You're absolutely welcome.

The possibilities are endless, but for me I would say the one of this 8 writers will be the Nobel Prize 2015 :

Haruki MURAKAMI ; Svetlana ALEXIEVITCH ; Ngugi Wa THIONG'O ; Joyce Carol OATES ; Nuruddin FARAH ; ADUNIS ; Ko Un ; Philipp ROTH.

Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    The possibilities are endless, but for me I would say the one of this 8 writers will be the Nobel Prize 2015 :

Haruki MURAKAMI ; Svetlana ALEXIEVITCH ; Ngugi Wa THIONG'O ; Joyce Carol OATES ; Nuruddin FARAH ; ADUNIS ; Ko Un ; Philipp ROTH.

Wait and see.
    Murakami = too popular and, like Roth, has his share of critics.

I have not read anything from Alexievitch but, from what I do know about her, her output = (more or less) that of Marilynne Robinson, which is not a whole lot. Also, as I mentioned before, she is primarily an investigative journalist and, as someone on here pointed out, her writing is predominantly a piecemeal of the testimonies of others. Perhaps I should give her a go, but based on what I do know about her and her body of work (limited in output and, predominantly, journalistic in nature), I just can't see her winning it.

Thiong'o is a strong candidate. No objection on that one.

JC Oates....no way. Quantity over quality. She is sort of the US version of Margaret Atwood, although Atwood's strongest works are, IMO, significantly better than the strongest works of Oates.

I am all for Roth but I he has enough haters, including, in all likelihood, on the voting body, that he will have to be content with his international Booker.

What about Jon Fosse?

Quote Originally Posted by lhsl View Post
    Even if you think in terms of language, we just had Le Clézio(2008)/Modiano(2014), I don't think it would be so absurd Vargas Llosa(2010)/Another person that writes in Spanish(2015).

Thinking about that and about the idea that 2015 could be a year to a poet winner,I can only remember one writer: Nicanor Parra. Ok, ok, he is old (one century old to be more exact) but he deserves the Nobel!
    Yeah but the gentleman from the Academy love French language; not the same as Spanish, they don't judge the same way.
    I would be immensely happy if Nicanor Parra gets the Nobel at 101 years old, but this is something almost impossible.

Wait and see.
    Havent read Alexievich and Ko Un. But from the others.. Murakami, Farah and Roth , I would be disappointed. From the one book that I've read cant comment on Oates.

And I see the new drift to Adunis from Adonis..
    Jayan

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post

What about Jon Fosse?
    I have based here my selection on the wirters names that come back repeatedly over the past last three years.
    Specially the names of those who are among suppsed to be in the last five selected.

Jon FOSSE can of course be the surprise of the year, as Antonio LOBO ANTUNES or Umberto ECO ...

Quote Originally Posted by kpjayan View Post

And I see the new drift to Adunis from Adonis..

Then, to avoid unnecessary controversies in this forum, let's say Ali Ahmed SAÏD ESBER.

Sharing a small curiosity with you all, António Lobo Antunes recently said in an interview that he will win the Nobel Prize in the next 3 years because it's inevitable with everything that surrounds him right now.

He has an odd relationship with the award itself, in the same interview he called it just an award, just money and even states he as already won several Nobel moneywise. To be honest sometimes he seems a bit obsessed with it but he tries to make it seem like he doesn't care.

We all know the never ending rumours about the feud with Saramago and how he got mad because the Swedish Academy didn't gave it to him.

http://www.rtp.pt/play/p1782/o-meu-tempo-e-hoje Here's the link of someone want's to check the interview

I just want to add the name of Herberto HELDER, but wikii just says to me that he's past on March of this year!...
    I will add the names of Jean-Pierre VERHEGGEN, Pentti HOLAPPA, Nicanor PARRA and William CLIFF for take the place of Herberto HELDER, but no one of those poets has a chance for the Nobel...
    Deus ex machina

Quote Originally Posted by JFJS View Post
    Sharing a small curiosity with you all, António Lobo Antunes recently said in an interview that he will win the Nobel Prize in the next 3 years because it's inevitable with everything that surrounds him right now.

http://www.rtp.pt/play/p1782/o-meu-tempo-e-hoje Here's the link of someone want's to check the interview
    Publicly predicting one will win the Nobel Prize seems like it could be the kiss of death for one's chances (at least it was for John O'Hara). It also makes the author seem both arrogant and insecure. I've never read Lobo Atunes, but his prediction makes me less likely to do so. Perhaps I place too high a value on humility.
    Last edited by Stevie B; 10-Aug-2015 at 19:31.

What do forum members think about the chances of the doyenne of Irish Literature, Edna O'Brien? Her first novel The Country Girls was a game changer and she has continued to receive literary accolades in her 70s and 80s. Philip Roth has called O'Brien the most gifted author now writing in English, and she has been widely praised by a younger generation of Irish authors. I'm reading O'Brien for the first time (just started her bleak novel Girls in their Married Bliss), but I'm hoping to hear from someone who is more familiar with her work.

If they wish to favour the principle of rewarding diferent languages, probably a portuguese language writer has a chance. I think besides Lobo Antunes, only Mia Couto has a representative literary work.

Quote Originally Posted by JFJS View Post
    António Lobo Antunes recently said in an interview that he will win the Nobel Prize in the next 3 years because it's inevitable with everything that surrounds him right now.

We all know the never ending rumours about the feud with Saramago and how he got mad because the Swedish Academy didn't gave it to him.
    I don't know which one is funnier...

Anyway, I was thinking about the prize. As Daniel posted before, the second decade of the XXI century was more diverse than the decade before. Many first timers - Peru, Canada, China (Gao Xingjan won as a "French writer"), a writer of only short stories - and niches that were forgotten. First poet since the 90's, South and North America, etc. Modiano also is quite different, but more on that later.

The first decade of this century was the time for witnesses, as I wrote somewhere else. Five writers seems to me to have more credit as witnesses than anything else (Naipaul, Kertesz, Lessing, Le Clézio ans Muller). In this aspect I think Modiano was quite diverse, because he is the non-witness by essence, not the "I was there" but the opposite,untrustworthy, the negative of an historian. Besides, from the 10 winners from 2000 to 2009, 9 out of 10 were novelists - only Pinter was not (even if 2 of those were also important playwriters, Jelinek and Xingjan).

What I'm trying to point is - if, as I believe, the Academy will keep the diversity, I don't think they would give the prize to a novelist. Maybe, as Daniel said, another european male is out of question. Or someone from Americas. Or someone who writes in English, French...

If they want diversity for diversity's sake, Aleksijevitj would be the best option - a woman journalist from Belarusia. But I don't believe they will be that obvious.

In a lower level of diversity, a poet like Adunis or Ko Un would have the language on their side, and the fact that, although a poet has won in 2011, the one before that was in 1996! It was 14 years without a poet... I like Adunis more, even though I haven't read that many poems from them. I belive it's possible Transtromer has suggested Adunis for the academy, by the way (of course they knew Adunis before, but maybe the nomination by a former winner is important for them. I believe Mo Yan won in part thanks to Kenzaburo Oe nominating him, and Muller because of a nomination by Kertesz).

Thiong'o would also be something different - African, Gikuyu, etc. But he is a witness novelist, the thing the first decade was so full of.

In short, if I would bet, I would bet in one of those names, in this order - Adunis, Ko Un, Thiong'o.

Of course there are many possibilities I don't have the slightest idea, writers I don't know of yet. And I must say I'm a terrible guesser - since I began taking notice of the prize more closely (about 2004), only twice the winner was among my list of possible winner - Pamuk and Llosa...

I have based here my selection on the wirters names that come back repeatedly over the past last three years.
    Specially the names of those who are among suppsed to be in the last five selected.

Jon FOSSE can of course be the surprise of the year, as Antonio LOBO ANTUNES or Umberto ECO ...
    Thinking on the italian literary landscape, besides Eco, I only know two writers that Svenska academy may seriously consider: Magris and Maraini. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    If they wish to favour the principle of rewarding diferent languages, probably a portuguese language writer has a chance. I think besides Lobo Antunes, only Mia Couto has a representative literary work.
    I just don't like Lobo Antunes. It's one of those writers that thinks being elliptical and digressive equals to be brilliant. Not his case. His narrative is complex AND complicated, two things a writer shouldn't have together.
    And you can tell he tries too hard to write that way, and that doesn't add anything good to his prose; it gets completely lost with too much wording going and coming back.

I like Mia Couto, even though Sleepwalking Land, which everyone refers to as his masterpiece, wasn't as great as I expected. On the other hand, his novel Venenos de Deus, Remédios do Diabo, which I think is not translated to English yet, is just amazing.

Don't see any of them winning the Nobel. Next writer to win a Nobel Prize in Portuguese Language will be Gonçalo M. Tavares. He's only 45 years old, so he's got time; however I don't see his age as an impediment to win it now. I think his works are vast and good enough to make him a worthy candidate and winner right now.

Thinking on the italian literary landscape, besides Eco, I only know two writers that Svenska academy may seriously consider: Magris and Maraini. Who else?
    Does Ferrante have a shot?

Tabucchi was the right one . To me, one of the most exceptional short story writers of this times.