Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Publicly predicting one will win the Nobel Prize seems like it could be the kiss of death for one's chances (at least it was for John O'Hara). It also makes the author seem both arrogant and insecure. I've never read Lobo Atunes, but his prediction makes me less likely to do so. Perhaps I place too high a value on humility.
    I think you should try to read his work, separate the man from the work as they say.

What makes it even worse is the tone he uses to comment the award. The viewer almost feels sorry for the man, because he makes the Nobel Prize look like a death curse and there's nothing he can do to avoid it, other then carrying the burden like he was some corageous condemned hero.

And we see all of this knowing that he wants the award so much. Anyone who has read/watched his interviews over the years can understand that, he talks about the same subjects in everyone of them, says the exact same phrases (about the silence in the books, and the hand that writes alone, and how hard is to be a writer, and how a book has to read himself to be good, etc...), he constantly quotes Proust, Tolstoi, Conrad, and a bunch of other writers. And when the interviewer asks the basic Nobel question he defends himself saying that his favorite authors didn't won it. Then he pretends like he doesn't care.

This is António Lobo Antunes in a nutshell.

I think he won't get it. His public attitude regarding these kind of questions is just beyond horrendous. Even though I think he writes beautifully, he can translate the most simple feeling to a beautiful sentence. He's like the master of the depressive writing, you can't help but to be depressed after you read him. He can make the human condition such a simple and sad thing, you almost feel like a kid lost in darkness.

But in therms of literature I think he is a different kind, here in Portugal is usual to say he continues writing the same book over and over again for the past decade or two.

His influence is much smaller then it was some years ago. Saramago and him used to sell thousands when the books were released. They were the writers of the elites, everyone bought the books because they would look loog standing on the bookshelfs even tough they wouldn't read them. Now he's been forgot, no big marketing on his books, he almost never speaks to the press and when he does he just vomits the things I said earlier, and doesn't even speak about his new books because some philosophical writer crap that no one understands. The only people that read him nowadays are his hardcore fans.

He even went as far as calling Eça de Queirós a midget comparing to other writers.

I agree with what Daniel said, he has been trying to make his work less and less acessible. In my opinion he does it on purpose, people have the idea that if you don't understand it's because it's genius. I like him but i'll admit he can get a bit tiresome after a while.

And on a side note to Daniel, it's good to see that Gonçalo M. Tavares is recognized all over the world. I think he is the hope of Portuguese Literature for the next decades.

What do forum members think about the chances of the doyenne of Irish Literature, Edna O'Brien? Her first novel The Country Girls was a game changer and she has continued to receive literary accolades in her 70s and 80s. Philip Roth has called O'Brien the most gifted author now writing in English, and she has been widely praised by a younger generation of Irish authors. I'm reading O'Brien for the first time (just started her bleak novel Girls in their Married Bliss), but I'm hoping to hear from someone who is more familiar with her work.
    I would think that vis-à-vis Irish candidates, William Trevor is a slam dunk. There is also Banville. Sorry dame Edna...
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 10-Aug-2015 at 23:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Don't see any of them winning the Nobel. Next writer to win a Nobel Prize in Portuguese Language will be Gonçalo M. Tavares. He's only 45 years old, so he's got time; however I don't see his age as an impediment to win it now. I think his works are vast and good enough to make him a worthy candidate and winner right now.
    From all the work of Tavares, only Jerusalem has been seriously traslated into other languages i.e german, french and english - (maybe due to the Saramago award). I doubt the members of the academy reward a writer whose work they scarcely know (I guess not all the members read portuguese)

Perhaps Pepetela has more chances.

Quote Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
    Does Ferrante have a shot?
    But we not even know who Ferrante is. I don't think she will be rewarded soon. The academy hasn't studied her work and usually they award an author not just because they like his work in terms of their idea of quality (always matter of subjective taste), but also because they have studied the work of the authors founded on criteria of the literary critic .

Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    But we not even know who Ferrante is. I don't think she will be rewarded soon. The academy hasn't studied her work and usually they award an author not just because they like his work in terms of their idea of quality (always matter of subjective taste), but also because they have studied the work of the authors founded on criteria of the literary critic .
    Ferrante is a bestseller-type writer, a sort of an Italian Isabel Allende. I don't think she's Nobel quality. Besides, should she ever win, the Academy would have a hard time contacting her as her true identity is a mystery; Elena Ferrante is her pen name and she has never made a public appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    I belive it's possible Transtromer has suggested Adunis for the academy, by the way (of course they knew Adunis before, but maybe the nomination by a former winner is important for them. I believe Mo Yan won in part thanks to Kenzaburo Oe nominating him, and Muller because of a nomination by Kertesz).
    I should think this is just speculation on your part!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    I would think that vis-à-vis Irish candidates, William Trevor is a slam dunk. There is also Banville. Sorry dame Edna...
    I fully agree.

With the passing of John McGahern several years ago, I suppose Trevor has become Ireland's leading candidate for the Nobel. Many years ago, I enjoyed Trevor's story collection The Day We Got Drunk on Cake, but I've never read any of his novels. Perhaps Munro's win a year ago was the Academy's nod to short story writers. If so, that could hurt Trevor's chances since he's one of the form's leading practioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    should she ever win, the Academy would have a hard time contacting her as her true identity is a mystery; Elena Ferrante is her pen name and she has never made a public appearance.
    Interesting story. Since, as you suggest, Ferrante is a popular commercial writer, I'm surprised the mystery of her true identity has yet to be solved.

With the passing of John McGahern several years ago, I suppose Trevor has become Ireland's leading candidate for the Nobel. Many years ago, I enjoyed Trevor's story collection The Day We Got Drunk on Cake, but I've never read any of his novels. Perhaps Munro's win a year ago was the Academy's nod to short story writers. If so, that could hurt Trevor's chances since he's one of the form's leading practioners.
    The only problem his here that William TREVOR is 87.
    Deus ex machina

Thinking on the italian literary landscape, besides Eco, I only know two writers that Svenska academy may seriously consider: Magris and Maraini. Who else?
    I agree with you here.
    Some years ago Italy has a lot of very good candidates Alberto BEVILACQUA, Mario LUZI, Antonio TABUCCHI, Mario RIGONI-STERN...
    But now I only see this two for the nobel...
    Deus ex machina

Ferrante is a bestseller-type writer, a sort of an Italian Isabel Allende. I don't think she's Nobel quality. Besides, should she ever win, the Academy would have a hard time contacting her as her true identity is a mystery; Elena Ferrante is her pen name and she has never made a public appearance.
    I agree with you about Ferrante. On the contrary, although Isabel Allende is a best-seller author, her literary work goes beyond and proposes an understanding of Latin American reality and history. moreover, her work has been studied in Isabel Allende's novels; by Celia Correas, a leading scholar, in Isabel Allende : vida y espíritus and in Latin-American women writers : class, race, and gender.
    It does not mean I think she will be reward with the Nobel prize, just i dont think it's right to underestimate her work because she is read.

Good point. But I think the question of translation is overalued. They have people who can read Portuguese indeed and their reports would have weight.
    I don't think Tavares is a credible candidate... Yet.
    There are far better writers in Portuguese language Africa, such as Mia Couto, or Luandino Vieira.

I think it's time Brazil got a Nobel prize in literature after the failure of the Academy to give it to Guimarães Rosa and José Cabral de Melo e Neto.

The most likely though, leaving geopolitical considerations apart, is António Lobo Antunes. It would be well deserved.

Could be, but I remember Saramago being told by Dario Fo that he would win soon. Saramago won it the year after. And Grass, a very similar novelist in terms of worldview won it the year after!

Trevor represents the figure of a short story teller, a figure that was awarded a couple of years ago with Munro.
    Because of this, and without judging literary status, I think the lading Irish candidate is Colm Toibin.

Ferrante is a bestseller-type writer, a sort of an Italian Isabel Allende.
    LOL, you just annihilated Ferrante

Not really... just a little. I based that on the interviews Oe gave after Yan won, and Kertesz after Muller won. The way they told about it sounded like they have a little hand on it...

Quote Originally Posted by errequatro View Post
    I think it's time Brazil got a Nobel prize in literature after the failure of the Academy to give it to Guimarães Rosa and José Cabral de Melo e Neto.
    I think Drummond de Andrade would deserve the prize more than Melo e Neto. Anyway, Rosa died unexpectedly with 59 years, so I don´t blame the Academy. José Lins do Rego and Clarice Lispector also died quite young (56) and I believe they would deserve the prize. If those three had lived a decade or two more I believe at least one of them would receive it.

About Irish authors, I´m a big fan of Brian Friel, he wrote some amazing plays, in fact one of the best plays I ever saw - if not the best - was from him - The Faith Healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Not really... just a little. I based that on the interviews Oe gave after Yan won, and Kertesz after Muller won. The way they told about it sounded like they have a little hand on it...

I think Drummond de Andrade would deserve the prize more than Melo e Neto. Anyway, Rosa died unexpectedly with 59 years, so I don´t blame the Academy. José Lins do Rego and Clarice Lispector also died quite young (56) and I believe they would deserve the prize. If those three had lived a decade or two more I believe at least one of them would receive it.
    And what about Nélida Piñón?

When we speculate about nordic literary landscape, only the name of Jon Fosse shows up. But what do you think about other names like Dag Solstad, Knut Faldbakken, Paal-Helge Haugen or Kjartan Fløgstad?

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    An African? Ngugi is hard to compete with, though I wouldn't rule out Farrah at all.
    Buchi Emecheta seems to me more likely than Nuruddin Farah and Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

And what about Nélida Piñón?
    I, personally, don´t like her works. Regardless, it would be a bolt out of blue sky. I can´t see her reaching not even the shoulders of some names we are mentioning here...