Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Brazil's chance at winning the prize died with Jorge Amado in 2001. Since then I don't think there's another writer who seriously deserves it. We had João Ubaldo Ribeiro until last year, but unfortunately he died relatively young.

I don't know much about poetry, but it seems the only name worth mentioning is Ferreira Gullar. Still, there are far greater writers out there and I only see him winning if the Academy decides to laureate another poet so soon after Tranströmer.

What do you guys think of Umberto Eco? His recent novels have been poorly reviewed by critics, but the man has a solid intelectual work in the fields of semiotics, philosophy and history. Besides, he has written a few children's novels as well, something people tend to disconsider as no one respects the kid one used to be. That said, he is the man behind The Name of the Rose, an absolute classic of contemporary literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    Buchi Emecheta seems to me more likely than Nuruddin Farah and Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
    Buchi EMECHETA is a good pick, and I must say I really like her work, but, if I remember good she's a United Kingdom citizen now...
    Deus ex machina

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasM View Post

What do you guys think of Umberto Eco? His recent novels have been poorly reviewed by critics, but the man has a solid intelectual work in the fields of semiotics, philosophy and history. Besides, he has written a few children's novels as well, something people tend to disconsider as no one respects the kid one used to be. That said, he is the man behind The Name of the Rose, an absolute classic of contemporary literature.
    Totally agree with you here, Umberto ECO would be a great, great Nobel, like Günter GRASS or Mario VARGAS-LLOSA.
    Deus ex machina

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    Buchi EMECHETA is a good pick, and I must say I really like her work, but, if I remember good she's a United Kingdom citizen now...
    I wouldn't say "but she is a UK citizen"; that's an asset. She's an african woman who writes about social problems with remarkable literary qualities and, besides, she's a uk citizen. That's kill many birds with one stone...

I wouldn't say "but she is a UK citizen"; that's an asset. She's an african woman who writes about social problems with remarkable literary qualities and, besides, she's a uk citizen. That's kill many birds with one stone...
    Yes, but the problem is that the Svedish Academy will take in consideration the fact that sh'e a UK citizen... And then she can say bye bye to the Nobel...
    Deus ex machina

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    I agree with you here.
    If you take out the french writing poets, Jude STEFAN, Yves BONNEFOY, Jacques ROUBAUD, Philippe JACCOTTET
    you have, for the poetry, only some more serious names, the americans poets as John ASHBERY, William S. MERWIN.. The South Korean Ko UN and... ADUNIS!
    I'd like to thank you Septularisen for making me give a second chance to Jude Stefan. The few poems by Stefan I had read online (chosen from a very vast oeuvre) were not very enticing. But then, I finally got to read a proper selection of his poems in the context of the anthology Pieces detachees. Une anthologie de la poesie francaise aujourd'hui. And, when compared with other recent French poets sampled there, Stefan outshines them all.

ancestries

and I say thanks to Marie Loquet and
    her wool garments for Spanish and
    I say thanks to Scartanezzi at Trieste
    and his round tiny glasses for Latin and
    I say thanks to miss Hardwick (sheep and ship
    under the bower) for English and thanks
    to George and Trakl and his poems for
    German and again thanks to the tantrums
    of Thebaldo, the jesuit, for Greek in green
    fascicles and irregular verbs and I say
    thanks to mademoiselle Odartchenko for
    Russian and her constipated widow poise and
    thanks to Racine and Littre for our sumptuous French.
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

I'm reading Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang and Can Xue's Five Spice Street. Wow to both of them. It's a shame Carey's newer novels have been so bad, this is some great stuff, and if he hadn't blown it he might even have a Nobel already. As for Can Xue, she's definitely worthy too, perhaps more so than most other Chinese writers right now. She seems to be rather apolitical, though, at least in comparison to her contemporaries, like Yu Hua, Yan Lianke, Ma Jian, even Su Tong has expressed some discontent with the status quo, and if they return to China soon I have a feeling the academy would let politics sway them.

If it goes to an African writer, I'd assume it would be Ngugi, but I don't know many writers, and so all I'm going to say is there's no way Nuruddin Farah will get it. Like Carey, his recent books are awful.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll be a famous writer, at least to Europe and the US. Since the late 90s they seem to have been alternating between picking more obscure candidates most people over here won't know (Modiano, Mo Yan, Müller) and some living legends (Vargas Llosa, Munro), and while it does get a bit mixed up, I think overall they've alternated enough yearly to guess that after someone like Modiano they'll pick someone more well-known. Ngugi would be the obvious pick if they want to get out of Europe, but who knows until the betting sites update for real. Up until last year if I recall correctly the candidate had always been high up on the list to begin with, with Modiano appearing as a leak, so if they get around to it I'd look for someone in the top ten.

Just a thought that passed my mind.........which author do you think is the most likely to win based on his controversial relationship with political regimes?

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    I'm reading Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang and Can Xue's Five Spice Street. Wow to both of them. It's a shame Carey's newer novels have been so bad, this is some great stuff, and if he hadn't blown it he might even have a Nobel already. As for Can Xue, she's definitely worthy too, perhaps more so than most other Chinese writers right now. She seems to be rather apolitical, though, at least in comparison to her contemporaries, like Yu Hua, Yan Lianke, Ma Jian, even Su Tong has expressed some discontent with the status quo, and if they return to China soon I have a feeling the academy would let politics sway them.

If it goes to an African writer, I'd assume it would be Ngugi, but I don't know many writers, and so all I'm going to say is there's no way Nuruddin Farah will get it. Like Carey, his recent books are awful.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll be a famous writer, at least to Europe and the US. Since the late 90s they seem to have been alternating between picking more obscure candidates most people over here won't know (Modiano, Mo Yan, Müller) and some living legends (Vargas Llosa, Munro), and while it does get a bit mixed up, I think overall they've alternated enough yearly to guess that after someone like Modiano they'll pick someone more well-known. Ngugi would be the obvious pick if they want to get out of Europe, but who knows until the betting sites update for real. Up until last year if I recall correctly the candidate had always been high up on the list to begin with, with Modiano appearing as a leak, so if they get around to it I'd look for someone in the top ten.
    I don't think Modiano was little known. He was a very famous writer in France and quite well known in most European countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffelio View Post
    I don't think Modiano was little known. He was a very famous writer in France and quite well known in most European countries.
    He was a famous writer in France and had some fans elsewhere in Europe, but outside of that he wasn't too well known. Even Englund said something to that effect. Look at all the obscure names that regularly come up here and then look at last years thread. When Modiano's name first appeared on betting sites everyone's reaction was "who dat?"

He was obscure in the same way Mo Yan was. Mo Yan was incredibly popular in China, but outside his home country and those who had an interest in CHinese lit, who had really read him or even heard of him?

a famous writer like Rushdie, Handke, Goytisolo and Eco?

Ngugi would be the obvious pick if they want to get out of Europe.
    Others outstanding writers out of Europe are the indians Anita Desai and Amitav Ghosh, the lybian Ibrahim Al-Koni, the vietnamese Dương Thu Hương or the malayan Shahnon Ahmad. But they are not so well-known. And the poet Adonis, who, on the contrary, is very well-known.
    Last edited by Sevastefo; 13-Aug-2015 at 18:15.

As much as I enjoyed some of Eco's books, I do not think he will ever get the Nobel. Sure, he has a lot of essays/lit criticism under his belt, but he is a bit weak in the novel category. He does have six books out, with another on the way, but his books are not your typical high-brow brooding novels. I mean, I enjoyed The Name of the Rose but I chalk it up in the same category as Edith Prageter's Brother Cadfael series, fun medieval mystery novels. I read Prague Cemetery and Foucault's Pendulum and, for me, they fall in the same category as The Name of the Rose. Don't get me wrong, the writing is better than the Davinci Code but, to me, comparing it to work of previous winners (Modiano and WWII; Muller and her exploration of life under Ceausescu; Mo Yan's exploration of life in China post-cultural revolution; Llosa's focus on revolutionary life in Latin America; Pamuk's exploration of clash of civilizations in Turkey, etc.), I am not sure if mystery novels quite fit the Nobel mold. Eco's non-fiction essays fall more in line with the uber-intellectual writing that typically gets the Nobel nod but (a) they are essays, and (b) they are non-fiction. Most of the more recent laureates are primarily known for their fictional writing. For the same reason, I do not think that Aleksijevitj will win it. Of course, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Eco can break the trend.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 13-Aug-2015 at 19:15.

He was a famous writer in France and had some fans elsewhere in Europe, but outside of that he wasn't too well known. Even Englund said something to that effect. Look at all the obscure names that regularly come up here and then look at last years thread. When Modiano's name first appeared on betting sites everyone's reaction was "who dat?"

He was obscure in the same way Mo Yan was. Mo Yan was incredibly popular in China, but outside his home country and those who had an interest in CHinese lit, who had really read him or even heard of him?
    Ahem... http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...012#post140012
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

I don't know if any of them will get it, for reasons both political or quality-wise, like what Hrabal said, but if I was actually interested in the betting aspect, I would rather put money on a writer of similar stature to those four than someone lesser known.

and @Cleanthess, good job with the prediction, but you gotta admit for most others (me included) he was an enigma at first.

I don't know if any of them will get it, for reasons both political or quality-wise, like what Hrabal said, but if I was actually interested in the betting aspect, I would rather put money on a writer of similar stature to those four than someone lesser known.

and @Cleanthess, good job with the prediction, but you gotta admit for most others (me included) he was an enigma at first.

Handke sealed his fate after his proclamation of love for Milosevic....

Eco, as I said, has a weaker body of work than some other candidates....

Goytisolo, I see no issues with. He was a hardcore communist, but it is not like he was in cahoots with some oppressive communist government. As I noted in an earlier post, Kadare has more of an issue in this regard.

Vis-à-vis Rushdie, I see no problem with him getting the prize. I think the whole fatwa thing has sort of blown over, is too far in the past, and I do think that, although not every one of his works is amazing, in its entirety, his body of work is pretty strong. With Rushdie, the bigger issue may more of him being a victim of his popularity (i.e. Murakami, Roth), as opposed to political/quality issues.

Looking at the Ladbrokes list, I am thinking more and more that it will come down to Ngugi Wa Thiong'o and Adunis.

Looking at the top 20 or so, Aleksijevitj is, essentially, a journalist; Murakami has his share of haters, as does Roth; Oates has a massive output but simply lacks anything monumental; Oz has political obstacles, as does A B Yehoshua, who is even more left leaning than Oz; Marilynne Robinson's body of work, although of great quality, is rather thin; I happen to like Ursula Le Guin but I am not sure if fantasy/sci-fi will ever get any love; Lydia Davis...a U.S. short story writer, obscure, just don't see it.

Of those in the top that, I think, do stand a chance of actually getting the nod in the immediate future are: Fosse, Ko Un, Cees Nooteboom, Nawal El Saadawi, Nadas, Malouf, Banville, Antonio Lobo Antunes, and Bei Dao.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 14-Aug-2015 at 19:29.

Brazil's chance at winning the prize died with Jorge Amado in 2001. Since then I don't think there's another writer who seriously deserves it. We had João Ubaldo Ribeiro until last year, but unfortunately he died relatively young.

I don't know much about poetry, but it seems the only name worth mentioning is Ferreira Gullar. Still, there are far greater writers out there and I only see him winning if the Academy decides to laureate another poet so soon after Tranströmer.
    What about Rubem Fonseca? He is alive at 90 years old.

When we speculate about nordic literary landscape, only the name of Jon Fosse shows up. But what do you think about other names like Dag
    Solstad, Knut Faldbakken, Paal-Helge Haugen or Kjartan Fløgstad?

I got to know the name of
    Kjartan Fløgstad in Knausgaard's Min Kamp. In America he is known too little, probably not even translated to languages like Spanish or Portuguese.
    Probably the most known/translated Norwergian writers are, Knausgaard of course, and Per Petterson. Do you see any chances for any of them?

What about Trevisan? Is he just too old or are there other objections?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    Of those in the top that, I think, do stand a chance of actually getting the nod in the immediate future are: Fosse, Ko Un, Cees Nooteboom, Nawal El Saadawi, Nadas, Malouf, Banville, Antonio Lobo Antunes, and Bei Dao.
    Fosse deserves the prize, not only for his plays, but also for his poetry and essays. (but, isn't he too nordic to win it just three years after Tranströmer?. The last time they wait 37 years)
    I don't see Ko Un getting it. For me, the next poet awarded with the Nobel should be Zagawevski (poet and a very clever essayist) or Adonis. But i don't think this is the year of a poet.
    In the portuguese panorama Lobo Antunes is indisputable, even if I prefer the works of Couto and Pepetela.
    Nooteboom may be a great choice. He has a very eclectic work ant he won't be controversial.
    The hungarian literature has, above Nadas, the prominent figure of P. Esterházy, who has a solid and ingenious work.
    In the future Malouf could be a good candidate, but I prefer Ben Jelloun (thinking about the francophonie).
    Last edited by Sevastefo; 15-Aug-2015 at 02:59.

Quote Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
    What about Trevisan? Is he just too old or are there other objections?
    I personally dislike his works. They're very poorly written and, let's be real here, he's been writing the same stories for the last five decades. Also, he only creates short stories and Alice Munro has recently been awarded the prize, so I guess Trevisan is off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    What about Rubem Fonseca? He is alive at 90 years old.
    You're right, Daniel, I totally forgot about him. However, I don't see Fonseca as a serious contender, his writing being too dark, urban and violent - definitely not for everyone. He is a very reclusive fellow - much like Dalton Trevisan or Thomas Pynchon, which, I remember reading somewhere, happens to be his friend.

I still vote for Ngugi wa Thiong'o. To quote Shakira: this time for Africa!