Thread: Ernest Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms and Others

United States Ernest Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms and Others

Among the American writers I have read, Hemingway is perhaps my favorite. His concise and implicit language was revolutionary in his time and had an unimaginable impact on many writers that followed. As a person who participated in the First World War and one of the major representatives of "The Lost Generation", his works reveal the spiritual trauma and bankruptcy inflicted by the war. Another detail about his writing I find fascinating is that he always writes while standing on one foot, so that he can be in a state of tenseness and express his thoughts in a most succinct fashion. I cannot claim to have a very profound knowledge of his many works, I have only read some of his most famous ones- "The Old Man and the Sea", "The Sun Also Rises", "The Snows of Kilimanjaro", and I'm still on "A Farewell to Arms". What are some of his other novels you have read, and what do you think of his works and his exceptional language style?

Default Re: Ernest Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms and Others

I've only read 'The Old Man and the Sea'. I believe I need to read more of his work before I form an opinion about his writing style.