Thread: Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2016

Award Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2016

Dubravka Ugrešić was recently announced as winner for this year. Here is the press release:

http://neustadtprize.org/dubravka-ug.../#.Vi64n36rSUk

I've only read The Ministry of Pain, and I thought it was good, but nothing more than that. Didn't move me to look for more of her works. Does she has something that can be caller her masterpiece?

However, among the female oriented shortlist (http://neustadtprize.org/finalists-f.../#.Vi64636rSUk) she mas the more viable winner due to international presence. Guadalupe Nettel is a very good writer, but she is young her body if works is quite short yet.

Default Re: Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2016

Here's the finalists lists for the Neustadt Prize since its creation in 1970 to this years award. It is interesting to see competitions of the early years as there are amazing ones.
    Take for example 1986 where among the finalists were Wole Soyinka, Francisco Ayala, Primo Levi, Kenzaburo Oe, Jorge Luis Borges, Günter Grass, Yves Bonnefoy and Eugene Ionesco. Hard to believe Max Frisch won the prize that year.
    Anyway, here you go. Enjoy:

http://www.neustadtprize.org/the-neu...adt-finalists/

Bob Dylan was at least once.

It is, generally speaking, a pretty fantastic list. Nice to see so many different names considered each year too. A few that I'm a little baffled by, but some which I have every intention of exploring.

I enjoy the Neustadt a lot but is anyone else a little put off by the "Nobel Convergences" section under the guide to the Neustadt? The Nobel's far from the end all be all and as far as I can tell all of their picks are great on their own, they don't need another prize to confirm the quality of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    Bob Dylan was at least once.
    Yes, look at that...

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    I enjoy the Neustadt a lot but is anyone else a little put off by the "Nobel Convergences" section under the guide to the Neustadt? The Nobel's far from the end all be all and as far as I can tell all of their picks are great on their own, they don't need another prize to confirm the quality of their work.
    redheadshadz, I'm curious about your new avatar. Is it a picture of Jon Fosse?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    redheadshadz, I'm curious about your new avatar. Is it a picture of Jon Fosse?
    Yes it is. Never knew who was the old one.

Yup, it's Jon Fosse. Old one was Gene Wolfe.

One of the issues I take with this prize is that it has a rotating Jury. Every two years the prize winner is chosen and awarded by a completely different group of people than the preceding award. It just seems like you wouldn't really be able to maintain a level of consistency with the selections as different juries may have completely different values. (that's not to say that they've chosen bad winners). The nomination process itself appears to just be every juror submits their favorite author for consideration. It also looks like they only discuss the winner for about 2-3 days before picking one. That seems rather short. So do these jurors just show up at a conference room and then give some presentation like "XXXX is my favorite author, here's why they should win."

Also, will anyone really ever think of this prize as anything except an American copy of the Nobel? For all intents and purposes the Nobel was the first major international literary award of its kind and remains the most prestigious and lauded. This just essentially seems like a copy of it with far looser nominating and awarding procedures. Given their websites numerous references to the Nobel they themselves essentially seem to be saying they're a mock Nobel.

Aside from the winner they chose, the only other realistic nominee this year seems like Can Xue. Not that they're bad authors, but considering English is my native language and I've never heard of any of these English language Finalists they really don't seem to have much of an international presence. (that or I've been forgoing reading many English language authors in favor of works in translation).

Another issue I have is that given it's location in Oklahoma and the nationalities of most of the jurors, there's a ridiculous amount of English language finalists in most of the recent years. In nearly every award year I've looked at there are more English language finalists than any other language. In many recent years half the finalists write in English (7/10 finalists in 1998 wrote in English).