Thread: Great Books To Read

Default Great Books To Read

Hi,
    Please suggest Great Books To Read and suggest those books here.

Default Re: Great Books To Read

hi you must try GODAN by premchand from india which follows up the colonial setup and the hardships which prevailed then in the social structure. its more a epic in indian hindi literature.

After yesterday's elections in the U.S., I thought perhaps it's time to read John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces.

Is there a Harakiri for Dummies manual I can purchase? I have never been this sad, this bitter, or this cynical in my entire life, no exaggeration. This is not about party lines or deeply-held/cherished beliefs I can disagree with but still respect. This is about voting for a sexist racist homophobic liar and FRAUD with ZERO years in public service. If you voted for him you must on some level agree with or at least tolerate his views. From "grab 'em by the p*ssy" to keeping "those Mexicans" out by means of a wall, if you voted for Trump, you should be held responsible for this. What a fucking disgrace. No wonder the Canadian immigration website crashed the night of the election.

PS. The "you" above is obviously editorial and was not meant as a response to Stevie's post, which is actually quite witty,

What can I say Liam. Now we Mexicans have to deal with not one, but two idiotic presidents. If our currency wasn't crap already, not it went down almost 15% because this fuck was elected. It is a shame and I share your anger. As many Mexicans I have family living in Los Angeles and this is nothing but bad news.

Funny thing is that, without even relating the election with my readings, this morning I started The Joke by Milan Kundera. This really seems like a joke, one of a very bad taste.

Yeah, I guess this is what they mean by "rock bottom,"

My partner has Canadian citizenship, so we might relocate to Toronto after I finish my PhD (less than two years). Whoever thought it would come to this. Has this country taken leave of its senses??

How will it ever get better if all sensible people now flee to Canada or New Zealand...

True, but if gay rights begin to go (and with a Republican president, Republican House and a Republican Senate that's a very real possibility, I mean who's going to check him??), it may simply prove impossible for us to stay here. We're also getting married sooner than we thought. Can't afford it right now, but better now than never. (While we still can)--

I take a small degree of comfort in knowing that Clinton, at least, won the popular vote, and I can't imagine Trump ever winning a second term. On the other hand, there could be a number of Supreme Court vacancies in the next few years and that is very troubling. By the way, Daniel, have you begun to save up money to contribute to the wall that Trump is going to build and Mexico is going to pay for?

Don't want to add to your despondency, Liam, but this article in The Daily Beast shows you have every reason to be concerned: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-in-peril.html