Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nobel Library

Default Re: The Nobel Library

I wouldn't be surprised to see him nominated and on the shortlist. Oe nominated Mo Yan, whom the Academy later crowned; he's expressed his admiration for Ishiguro's writing, so why not take it seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    ILet´s remember Tolkien was once on the shortlist...
    Tolkien was never on the shortlist.

Maybe you guys confuse "being nominated" (>200 people) and "being on the shortlist" (~5 people in case of the "final candidates" or ~20 in case of the "preliminary candidates")?

In the past, members of the academy have stated they take the nominations from previous laureates very seriously. We know Oe liked Mo Yan, Mo Yan won - hence why I'm saying it wouldn't be outlandish, as your comment, "I would bet all my money, all my property, even my life that he isn't" posits, to assume IF he did nominate Ishiguro, the members MIGHT have him on the shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post
    In the past, members of the academy have stated they take the nominations from previous laureates very seriously. We know Oe liked Mo Yan, Mo Yan won - hence why I'm saying it wouldn't be outlandish, as your comment, "I would bet all my money, all my property, even my life that he isn't" posits, to assume IF he did nominate Ishiguro, the members MIGHT have him on the shortlist.
    Ok, I take it back. But how about... let's say... a 100 bucks?

That's fine. We only have to put away $2 a year - see you in fifty!

Also, Gordimer expressed her admiration for Oe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Also, Gordimer expressed her admiration for Oe.
    She nominated him. She's outright said so in interviews.

Though I knew of the library's existence, I never considered this as a way of possibly speculating.

While any speculation is fun, I doubt books being checked out in a large public library can really prove in any way who is being considered by the Academy. A numerous Academy members have discussed, in general Swedes read a lot of literature in translation. Often times Swedish translations of somewhat obscure foreign authors will come out years before they're available in English, French, German, or Spanish. This library is in Stockholm. Tons of people could easily just be checking out works by potential winners themselves to read prior to the prize's announcement.

For many laureates the Academy brings in experts to create translations exclusively for them, in which case they wouldn't be checking out books from a library. And while the library is there to assist the Academy, these are all well-off people. They could easily just go out and buy every book they want to read for consideration. many of them are faculty members at universities that would have extensive libraries they could access as well.

I will concede that if the library contains an author's works, they've likely been nominated at some point. If an author doesn't appear, it's very unlikely that they'd win.

Just because he's been discussed, I don't see Ishiguro ever winning this prize. I doubt even if he made the shortlist he'd be in a top 3. The man writes decent British novels, but he's not doing anything new or unique, the topics he discusses aren't particularly political or socially engaging, he hasn't had much of an influence on any specific literary movement or large groups of authors, aside from winning a French Medal in 1998 he really hasn't won any major international literary prizes nor has he won any awards in decades. He just doesn't have the makings of a winner.

He had a ten year gap between his last two novels, and after ten years published The Buried Giant, which even massive fans of his have admitted isn't incredible or particularly noteworthy. So for ten years he essentially didn't do much, and then he published a novel of not much noteworthiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Just because he's been discussed, I don't see Ishiguro ever winning this prize. I doubt even if he made the shortlist he'd be in a top 3. The man writes decent British novels, but he's not doing anything new or unique, the topics he discusses aren't particularly political or socially engaging, he hasn't had much of an influence on any specific literary movement or large groups of authors, aside from winning a French Medal in 1998 he really hasn't won any major international literary prizes nor has he won any awards in decades. He just doesn't have the makings of a winner.
    Who says these are the criteria for someone to get nominated or to get the prize? And allow me to disagree with you about the quality of this author's work. I am quite certain a wide audience would dispute your view of him writing just 'decent novels'. Besides, I don't know what your definition of socially or politically engaging is, but Never let me go (both the novel and the film) brought up renewed discussions about medical ethical issues. I must agree, though, that is he probably not productive enough to be considered for the Nobel.

Some of Ishiguro's books are still checked out. He must have a lot of fans in Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    Besides, I don't know what your definition of socially or politically engaging is, but Never let me go (both the novel and the film) brought up renewed discussions about medical ethical issues.
    No, I'm well aware of that. But that book came out 11 years ago and since then he hasn't released anything except The Buried Giant, which is essentially a fantasy book.

It's telling that his name doesn't even appear on Nobel odds betting lists in recent years. The only time I can remember the winner not being on betting lists at all was when Doris Lessing won in 2007, and that's mostly because she was considered too old to win by many and because the published odds at the time capped off at around 20 writers compared to the nearly 100 we get each year now.

Nearly all of the recent winners have shortly (like lets say within 5 years) before they won the Nobel won other literary awards. These can be international or major domestic awards. Unless my research is wrong, Ishiguro hasn't won anything at all since 1998, nearly 20 years ago. This to me just shows that he really doesn't have much of an international literary status amongst literati or that has recent output hasn't been impressive (which is understandable, because he had a ten year gap between books).

I suppose if he dramatically increased his output and started winning a lot of international awards he could potentially win sometime, but as of now I just don't think he scans as a serious candidate.

I also just don't even see him being the best British novelist if one was going to win. If Rushdie isn't going to win or the Academy won't award him because of what happened to Mahfouz (more death threats, an assassination attempt) I don't see Ishiguro winning. As far as English language novelists go I really don't see why he'd be considered a stronger candidate than Rushdie, Hilary Mantel, Colm Toibin, Edna O'Brien, Don De Lillo, A.S. Byatt, etc

I suppose going back to the library topic, a better indicator of an author being shortlisted would be if the library suddenly acquired a lot more works by an author the they previously had. More numerous copies, in more languages, a lot of their work that isn't exactly "major."

Okay, last year we might have failed to predict the winner by keeping an eye on the Nobel Library (for obvious reasons), but let's try again this year, shall we?

http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng

Four of Ishiguro's books are due late July/early August. I guess we don't need a thread for this year's Nobel speculations anymore; Ishiguro is the winner for sure!
    Last edited by kadare; 20-Jul-2017 at 15:42.

I don't think there's any validity to this method of "predicting." At least based on what's checked out. It is after all, a public library.

I'd say the best bet with checking the library site is seeing which "candidates" they have works from and how recent the stuff is. Even then though, for many authors the library doesn't get the book until an English/French/Swedish translation is available. That's why a lot of the time they'll bring in experts and their own private translators, in which case what's reflected in the Nobel Library wouldn't matter at all.

Ishiguro is not Nobel material and after a 10 year gap in works he released a novel that borders on being fantasy and now nothing since. For me to even consider him a realistic candidate I'd need to have him release more works.

What's wrong with fantasy?

Nothing. I'm saying he took a ten year break between published works and released something that didn't win any/wasn't nominated for any major awards and was of a different style than most/all of his previous works.

I don't see that as being very consistent and don't see any compelling reason for why he would suddenly win the prize. The last time he won any sort of major award was years ago and in the last 12 year's he's published 1 novel. He doesn't even appear on betting odds lists (not that these mean much, but it's tellIng that he's been largely absent from the literary scene and literary discussions for years).
    Last edited by Isahoinp; 21-Jul-2017 at 01:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Probably she reached the top of the genetics field and cloned herself back in the 90's

By the way, is there anything from Bob Dylan at the Nobel Library?
    HAHAHAHAHA. Worth bumping the thread for this. ô Histoire, what a cruel mistress.

I don't know if waybackmachine works on this site, but you can see now that they have 13 works by him. http://lib.nobelbiblioteket.se/searc...arg=abob+dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Nothing. I'm saying he took a ten year break between published works and released something that didn't win any/wasn't nominated for any major awards and was of a different style than most/all of his previous works.

I don't see that as being very consistent and don't see any compelling reason for why he would suddenly win the prize. The last time he won any sort of major award was years ago and in the last 12 year's he's published 1 novel. He doesn't even appear on betting odds lists (not that these mean much, but it's tellIng that he's been largely absent from the literary scene and literary discussions for years).
    Oh, I see. Yeah, I feel that. Now that you say it, he has been largely absent from the literary scene for a while. Even Martin Amis stays more relevant than him.

Isahop, have thou no joy in your predictions? I'm going with Kadare. Ishiguro it is!

Or Atwood... No? When does the thread for 2017 lit prize start, anyway?

^Anybody can open a Nobel Speculation thread, and July/August is usually the time when we begin "speculating" about the upcoming winner on this board,

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    okay, last year we might have failed to predict the winner by keeping an eye on the nobel library (for obvious reasons), but let's try again this year, shall we?

http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng

four of ishiguro's books are due late july/early august. I guess we don't need a thread for this year's nobel speculations anymore; ishiguro is the winner for sure!
    I had totally forgotten I said this hahah

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    I had totally forgotten I said this hahah
    You win the internet for today congrats