Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Nobel Library

Default Re: The Nobel Library

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    Okay, last year we might have failed to predict the winner by keeping an eye on the Nobel Library (for obvious reasons), but let's try again this year, shall we?

http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng

Four of Ishiguro's books are due late July/early August. I guess we don't need a thread for this year's Nobel speculations anymore; Ishiguro is the winner for sure!
    Man, I have to say, that was really something. You yould print that out and hang it onto the wall, seriously. I hope the Academy does not visit this forum, otherwise they will probably try to change things (assuming that all of this library check-out theory is worth anything... which I still don't believe)

Since I supposed its never too early to play at this.

Danius is an admitted Francophile and has stated that some dead female French authors should have won.

There are currently two Helene Cixous books checked out. One of which isn't due until near the end of December.

Hmmmmmm

There are 5 Anne Carson books checked out. There's also a hold placed on one that's already checked out. There's also a new 2017 book they've purchased that's being processed right now.

3 Knausgård books out. But the ones checked out seem to random to really mean anything. Oddly there's another book that says "NOT FOR LOAN!"

There's like 7 or 8 Javier Marias books out.
    Last edited by Isahoinp; 27-Oct-2017 at 19:36.

I had nothing to do so I checked some authors' catalogues, and I found better to share the data with you, even though this might at this time mean nothing :
    (number=books checked out)
    Lobo Antunes 3 or 4
    Handke 3
    Kadare 0
    Marias 6
    Krasznahorkai 2
    Peter nadas 0
    Ali Smith 1 (1 just returned)
    Kundera 0
    Olga Tokarczuk 1
    Oz 1
    Adonis 3
    Ko un 1
    Cartarescu 0
    Anne Carson 7
    Helene Cixous*1
    Claudio Magris 3
    Knausgard 3
    Fosse 2 (some titles appear as book ordered for nobelbliotek, don't know what that means)

I believe that means the librarians have put in the order for those books but they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully that's good news for Fosse in the coming years

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    I believe that means the librarians have put in the order for those books but they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully that's good news for Fosse in the coming years
    Though also a novelist, if they enjoy his plays, Fosse seems likely to me for 2018. A playwright hasn’t won since 2015 and so far under Danius’s tenure we haven’t had a repeat of the type of works the winner is known for

2015: non fiction
    2016: poetry
    2017: novelist

This obviously doesn’t mean much, but if they’re trying to even things out I don’t know many other playwrights who stand a good chance. Stoppard is British so he won’t win in 2018.

I think we all know my thoughts on Fosse winning

But I have a feeling next year a woman will win. Definitely not Atwood, I can’t see it going to an English language writer again, but maybe someone like Tokarczuk. Then again, I’m usually wrong about these things.

Seven books by Carson is noteworthy. C'mon Carson for 2018