Thread: Dorian Gray Quote

Default Dorian Gray Quote

Hello,

Can someone explain me what this quote in 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' mean?
    : I admit that I think it is better to be beautiful then to be good. But on the other hand no one is more ready to admit then I, it is better to be good then ugly.

Thanks!

Faze_Blaziken

Default Re: Dorian Gray Quote

So what does this quote mean? :P

Maybe my answer will be a bit late, but I will try to explain the quote. First of all, to understand the quote one should remember about the aesthsetic views of Oscar Wilde. He expressed them in the preface to 'The Picture of Dorian Gray': "The artist is the creator of beautiful things... ...There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all." So, when the adjective "good" is used in the phrase it could mean "moral", because the opposition good/bad comes from the point of morality (ethics). But from the aesthetical point of view only beauty makes sense (like a perfect form). According to Wilde, if someone or something is beautiful, it doesn't matter then if it is good or bad (moral or immoral) ("I think it is better to be beautiful then to be good"). But if something is ugly (not beautiful) it is a great aesthetical tragedy, so one admits "it is better to be good then ugly". So, to say simply, maybe you are not beautiful and not ugly, just good, it's a pity, but not the worst variant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pen View Post
    i think she tried to do something. she is not a pioneer. it should go something like this - 'I admit that I think it is better to be beautiful then to be good. But on the other hand no one is more ready to admit than I, it is better to be good than a king'.
    Why "she" then? As I see, this phrase is from the dialogue between two men. The author was male as well. Could you, please, explain why do you use the comparison with "the king"?

Ah, sorry. There was really a female in this dialogue, - the Duchess. But the phrase, actually, belongs to a male character Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Faze_Blaziken View Post
    Hello,

Can someone explain me what this quote in 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' mean?
    : I admit that I think it is better to be beautiful then to be good. But on the other hand no one is more ready to admit then I, it is better to be good then ugly.

Thanks!

Faze_Blaziken
    That seems to be a typical ironic Oscar Wilde word play to me:
    "I admit that I think it is better to be beautiful then to be good" is his spontaneous statement. However the character is ready enough to change his/her opinion to acomodate it to the political correct view: "no one is more ready to admit then I, it is better to be good then ugly."