Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Mise Eire View Post
    Those on this board for more than a few years will surely remember Mirabell, a well known prolific poster. He has been absent from these boards for some time (don't know why)
    Mirabell was quite a character. He used to cause a fair amount of trouble, especially when he and Eric (also long since gone) were at each other's throats over any subject.

There's Gordimer in 1991 and Coetzee in 2003, writers born and raised on the African continent. (Coetzee got his Australian passport in 2006)
    And Mr. Naguib MAHFOUZ (1911-2006) from Egypt in 1988.
    Deus ex machina

or Wilson Harris....
    Is that a joke? Mr. Wilson HARRIS is 95 year old!...
    Deus ex machina

Thanks for that link to the blog. Very insightful. It also links to an article about Murakami that I'm eager to read (but will have to wait because I'm at work). https://shigekuni.wordpress.com/2015...by-jake-waalk/

Another blog mentions a number of names, but Elias Khoury, a writer that I don't think of that often, but whose work I admire. I wouldn't mind seeing Mr Khoury win. http://morose-mary.blogspot.ca/2016/...ture-2016.html

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmanK View Post

I think geography is something to be taken into consideration here. When I look over the list of former winners, I see that Soyinka, in 1986, was the last African to win. That would tilt my guess in Africa's direction.

I believe that sooner or later the Arabic literature should be recognized with the Nobel in literature. Even if they say they don't think in terms of nationalities or regions, I think the members Academy has been negligents on having forgotten some big names like: Ibrahim al-Koni, Nawal El Saadawi, Salwa Bakr, Elias Khoury, Amin Maalouf, Hanan al-Shaykh and Sahar Jalifa. I hope one of them will be rewarded soon.
    Last edited by Sevastefo; 23-Sep-2016 at 21:08.

Mahfouz wrote in Arab so there has been some sort of recognition by the SA to it. Take out Maalouf from your list, he writes in French.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmanK View Post
    When I look over the list of former winners, I see that Soyinka, in 1986, was the last African to win.
    Not quite. J.M Coetzee, in 2003, was the last African writer to win.
    Unless we are talking about black African writers...

My guess is still Ko Un, although in my departmental meeting a couple of days ago I have heard the names of Marías and Lobo Antunes as very strong possibilities for this year...

Quote Originally Posted by errequatro View Post
    ... in my departmental meeting a couple of days ago I have heard the names of Marías and Lobo Antunes as very strong possibilities for this year...
    Thatīs interesting. The moviments at Ladbrokes suggest Marias is being considered, I guess. I know that Herta Müller is a great fan of ALA, I really believe she has suggested his name.

The SA has started a new blog: https://akademibloggen.wordpress.com/

Nothing important yet, only that last Thursday was the first meeting after their vacations.

By the way, I have found a strange Australian betting site - sportsbet.co.au, with the following odds:

Haruki Murakami 5.00
    Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 7.00
    Antonio Lobo Antunes 7.50
    Nawal El Sadaari 7.50
    Juan Marse 7.50
    Joyce Carol Oates 8.00
    Phillip Roth 10.00
    Adunis 11.00
    Ismail Kadare 13.00
    Peter Handke 15.00
    Kazuo Ishiguro 15.00
    Jon Fosse 15.00
    Javier Marias 15.00
    Cesar Aira 15.00
    Louise Erdrich 15.00
    Amos Oz 17.00
    Marilynne Robinson 17.00
    Ursula Le Guin 17.00
    Thomas Pynchon 17.00
    Peter Nadas 17.00
    Lydia Davis 19.00
    Ko Un 19.00
    John Banville 19.00
    Bob Dylan 19.00
    David Malouf 21.00
    Olga Tokarczuk 26.00
    Jussi Adler-Olsen 34.00
    Claudio Magris 34.00
    Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio 34.00
    Katie Price 101.00

Itīs very weird. Le Clezio? But it seems they based part of the names on our own discussion here at wordliteratureforum.com! They have names we have cited a lot here, but that are not even on Ladbrokes or Unibet (Aira, Erdrich, Ishiguro, etc.)
    Last edited by Vazquez; 24-Sep-2016 at 16:43.

Who the hell here did suggest Katie Price? Good choice! Her literary talent is beyond any doubt.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/...s/nobel-prizes

No Mia Couto in the betting list? not a thing this year?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    Who the hell here did suggest Katie Price? Good choice! Her literary talent is beyond any doubt.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/...s/nobel-prizes
    I can't vouch for her novel Love, Lies, and Lipstick, but I've seen a picture of Katie Price naked and I can't imagine any Nobel contender looking better (though I've never seen Phillip Roth in high heels).
    Last edited by Stevie B; 25-Sep-2016 at 14:17.

Ladbrokes:

Adunis 25/1 -> 14/1

Itīs the third name that has considerably shifted at Ladbrokes. Just to keep track, the others were:

Javier Marias 66/1 -> 16/1

Laszlo Krasznahorkai 50/1 -> 20/1

Unibet:

Peter Nadas 21/1 -> 18/1
    Last edited by Vazquez; 25-Sep-2016 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    though I've never seen Phillip Roth in high heels
    Man! Don't do this to us, this picture will probably stay in my head for the rest of life...

So, next Monday they are going to tell us if Thursday will be the day:
    https://twitter.com/NobelPrize/statu...74717237080064

Some very interesting shifts at Ladbrokes:

Adonis 14/1 -> 6/1

Ngugi 7/1 -> 10/1
    Joyce Carol Oates 16/1 -> 20/1

With this, Adonis has gone up in both Ladbrokes and Unibet - and JCO and NWT down also on both.

I believe JCO and NWT donīt have any chance. I canīt see no reason for a betting agency to increase the payment if they were not sure the name wonīt win. Probably they are trying to atract some bets on people that are already out of the race.

And Adonis - I started to believe in him winning. Although I enjoy Ko Un more, I have been reading some interviews with the Syrian poet and I must confess I enjoy his ideas. I just hope the SA is not afraid of awarding him, fearing they would offend some radical Islamists. But the criticism against Rushdieīs fatwas some months ago showed they are different now from what they were decades ago.

Also a minor change from 9 to 8 for Philip Roth.

Yes, in fact Roth is already at 7/1. Another one that went up in both Unibet and Ladbrokes.

I wonder how honest that is as a number. Of course, there is always the threat that he will win the award, but I think there is plenty enough evidence of the academy not liking his output that we shouldn't be overly alarmed by his chances. I would be disappointed with his selection, but it would lead me to try another of his books. One day. In the far future. When I am bored and there are only books by Atwood left to read. Maybe then I will find the thing that makes him so good and kick myself in the ass for taking so long to appreciate him. But I doubt that.

I like any betting site that has Louise Erdrich on it. But the JMG le Clezio is a little odd. Maybe somebody out there thinks he is so good as to deserve a second award?

Sad to see Ngugi falling, less sad to see Joyce Carol Oates falling, and not entirely sure how to feel about the rise of Adunis given I can never find his stuff except for online (and who likes to read poetry on a computer?).

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    When I am bored and there are only books by Atwood left to read.
    Iīd rather reread any other book I have... Moby Dick for the third time... or tenth time...

Check that:

http://twolinespress.com/the-2016-no...re-roundtable/

I found this discussion made by some American publishers, with some interesting thoughts. The publishers has some nice and daring titles in their catalog, and itīs good to see a profissional American point of view. My favorite parts are:

[About Philip Roth]

Scott: [...] But I honestly don’t know what these 9 to 1 odds are based on. Does the Nobel really give out prizes for meta-fictive, semi-autobiographical depictions of neurotic Americans in grotesquely inappropriate extra-marital relationships? [...]

Emily: UGH. I cannot say anything about Philip Roth because I have never read Philip Roth. He is a writer who leaves me, a woman, completely out of his intended audience pool and, frankly, Mr. Roth, there are plenty of great writers who don’t do that. I kind of don’t want the world seeing American literature as Roth.

[About JCO]

Scott: But seriously? Joyce Carol Oates? On what grounds? When was the last time you read anything about her that wasn’t some kind of highbrow celebrity gossip thing focusing on graphomania? Do people really think the Swedish Academy is going to award a Nobel for work done in revitalizing the American gothic genre? How many people betting on her at 17 to 1 even know anything about her other than that she’s famous and has written a ton of books? And the tweets. Don’t get me started on the tweets.

The part about Bob Dylan is quite funny too ("Mickey Mouse for president").

Iīm reading again the only collection from Adonis translated to Portuguese. It seems better than on my first reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Iīd rather reread any other book I have... Moby Dick for the third time... or tenth time...

Check that:

http://twolinespress.com/the-2016-no...re-roundtable/

I found this discussion made by some American publishers, with some interesting thoughts. The publishers has some nice and daring titles in their catalog, and itīs good to see a profissional American point of view.
    It seemed to be that these people were less qualified than myself to talk about awarding the Nobel, and that is an impressive achievement if you are going to have that kind of content associated with your name. Certainly I liked the comments about JCO and Roth (yes yes yes to associating him with American literature), but I don't understand why they refer to Murakami like a literary God. And if anything they proved just how insular the American literature world is, proving Englund correct. If I haven't read a certain author that certainly improves their chances, right? Oh, and that particular author isn't available in the States so it is likely to win, right? Good lord, how does somebody possibly imagine their own country is the centre of the literary universe? Pathetic.

As for their knowledge of the prize, I almost stopped when they basically said that Knausgaard's oeuvre was minor. I mean, Proust didn't win the Nobel so how could Knauagaard?

Anybody else find it hard to believe these folks are writers? They seem to have a rather haphazard control over their words - even in conversation, the writers I know are much more precise in their words, in their shaping of sentences.

That said, pointers for the content on Polish writers and the references to Murnane.