Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 Speculation

Now it has been 10 years since a new language entered the Nobel family (Turkish with the victory of Pamuk in 2006). Maybe it's time for a new one this year?

Looking at the betting list I can see that there are some writers who are writing in languages which has never won: Ngugi (Gikuyu), Kadare (Albanian) Nooteboom & Nolens (Dutch), Kaplinski (Estonian), Ko Un (Korean), Cartarescu (Romanian); and others that come to mind are for example: Ugresic (Croatian), Dowlatabadi (Farsi), Korbjitti (Thai), Zabuzhko (Ukrainian), Mend-Ooyo (Mongol)

What do you guys think? Will it be a new language this year or one which has already won it?

Another thing is that now in the '10s five of the six awarded prizes has gone to official languages of the UN. The Tranströmer win in 2011 is the only exception. Could a writer in the Arab language win this year so that the Grand Slam is completed or this decade? The decade closest to a Grand Slam was the '80s when only Chinese was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marba View Post
    Now it has been 10 years since a new language entered the Nobel family (Turkish with the victory of Pamuk in 2006). Maybe it's time for a new one this year?
    A new language is always welcome (or a new country: Argentina, Brazil... ).

At the same time, I guess it´s harder for those writers to win. If we check the last winners, there were always a member of the Academy that read very well that language (Chinese, Russian, Spanish, etc.). Of course I wouldn´t blame them - to read faithfully a Mongolian writer... well, just imagine! You must find a very good translator...

About Arabian: there is Adonis and Nawal El Saadawi... but I don´t think they will give to them just to fill the UN official languages.

By the way, I was checking Sara Danius´s CV... and there´s one thing that´s so funny. You read: she has two PhDs... hundreds of published articles... many books about Proust... many awards... member of the Swedish Academy... it´s 3 pages long. But the last thing in her CV is:

Miscellaneous
    Certified card dealer and croupière

You see, my friends, it is not easy for anyone... you must be prepared for a rainy day...

Quote Originally Posted by Septularisen View Post
    For me "obscure" means a widely known and famous writer in his country, but... Very little translated and known worldwide. A perfect example is here Mrs. Herta Müller! ...
    I could not agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    Maybe Kadare? I think he is very famous worldwide. Well, at least he is in Brazil.

Guys, I have three names I wonder if any one of you know something about. Two I have never read, and one, just a single book. Do you think they have any chance?

Nuruddin Farah - I have read Maps and I was not impressed, but maybe he has better books.

Ayi Kewi Armah - This is a name I usually get when researching about African literature, but he seems to be quite obscure.

Amos Oz - The guy has received a billion awards...
    Honestly, I've never gotten the hype around Farah. Links was disappointed, and looking at reviews for some of his other recent books, he still has not recaptured whatever it was that made him a literary star.

I agree with the others, though.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    If they come back to the US, I have a feeling it'll be someone lesser known.
    So, in this case maybe Thomas PYNCHON? John ASHBERY?...
    Deus ex machina

Edit: And if it is someone very famous, I think it might be someone from a smaller country. No examples yet because I have not had my morning coffee -_-
    Ok, Then I just point : ADONIS, Ko UN, Amos OZ and Ismaïl KADARÉ...
    Deus ex machina

Nuruddin Farah - I have read Maps and I was not impressed, but maybe he has better books.
    Same opinion and I have read three books from Mr. FARAH (Sweet and sour milk ; Sardines and Close, Sesame).

Amos Oz
    - The guy has received a billion awards...
    So maybe it's now time for the Nobel?...
    Deus ex machina

Now it has been 10 years since a new language entered the Nobel family (Turkish with the victory of Pamuk in 2006).
    Not true. What about Chinese tongue in 2012, with Mo YAN?
    Deus ex machina

Another one here, who is not convinced about Nuruddin Farah. Amoz Oz, is very good and in the league of worthy contenders.
    Jayan

The Chinese language won for the first time in 2000 with Gao Xingjian!

So, in this case maybe Thomas PYNCHON? John ASHBERY?...
    Almost everyone who's into literature in the US has heard of those two. I was thinking more like Vollmann or Stephen Dixon.

And if it's going to be one of those perennial writers, I'd like to see Ko Un or Amos Oz. Also, I'm not too well acquainted with modern African writers, but of the few I have read, Mia Couto was by far the best.

The Chinese language won for the first time in 2000 with Gao Xingjian!
    Yes... If you don't take in consideration that he also wrote in frech tongue and that he's... French!...
    Deus ex machina

Almost everyone who's into literature in the US has heard of those two. I was thinking more like Vollmann or Stephen Dixon.
    Yes a lot of names can be taken in consideration here, Joan DIDION, Paula FOX...

And if it's going to be one of those perennial writers, I'd like to see Ko Un or Amos Oz. Also, I'm not too well acquainted with modern African writers, but of the few I have read, Mia Couto was by far the best.
    I absolutely agree with you here.
    Deus ex machina

Yes... If you don't take in consideration that he also wrote in frech tongue and that he's... French!...
    Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I thought he published in Chinese mainly? The Nobel website has his language as Chinese and he also gave his Nobel lecture in Chinese. But yes, he had been living in France since 1987 and had also been a citizen of the country for a couple of years.

To go back to topic I hope that the prize will go to António Lobo Antunes but I have a feeling that it will leave Europe and probably also the western world this year.

Patrick Modiano won the Nobel Prize in 2014. I'm wondering which other current french writers might be good candidates for the prize?

Quote Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
    Patrick Modiano won the Nobel Prize in 2014. I'm wondering which other current french writers might be good candidates for the prize?
    I think it will be a while until a French writer wins again but I remember that one of the literary critics in my local newspaper had Maryse Condé as one of her favourites last year. Can't give a personal opinion because I haven't read anything from her. And I've heard a lot of good things about Marie NDiaye and Nina Bouraoui as well, but none of them are even 50 years old yet so I suppose they will have to wait some years before they will be considered as shortlist-material.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I thought he published in Chinese mainly? The Nobel website has his language as Chinese and he also gave his Nobel lecture in Chinese. But yes, he had been living in France since 1987 and had also been a citizen of the country for a couple of years.
    Yes, he does write in Chinese - at least his main works are.

Yes a lot of names can be taken in consideration here... Paula FOX...
    I read one very good book from Paula Fox, Desperate Characters, but from the other ones I´ve read, I don´t see any chance.

Ok, Then I just point : ADONIS, Ko UN, Amos OZ and Ismaïl KADARÉ...
    I´ve just read my first book from Oz - The Hill of Evil Counsel - it´s interesting, but no way I could judge his merits with only this one book.

Same opinion and I have read three books from Mr. FARAH (Sweet and sour milk ; Sardines and Close, Sesame).
    Thank you, redheadshadz, kpjayan and Septularisen, I think I won´t give another chance to Farah.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post

Hard to find an easy reply after the deceases of Michel TOURNIER (1924-2016), Michel BUTOR (1926-2016) and Yves BONNEFOY (1923-2016)…

So maybe Milan KUNDERA but he’s 87 year old, Hélène CIXOUS (79), Hélène CARRÈRE-D’ENCAUSSE (87), Maryse CONDÉ (79), Annie ERNAUX (76), Emmanuel HOCQUARD (76), Jude STÉFAN (86) and Jacques ROUBAUD (83)…

If you take the age in consideration the next French Nobel Prize could be: Jean ECHENOZ (68), Pascal QUINARD (68) Olivier CADIOT (60) or Antoine VOLODINE (66)…
    Deus ex machina

I heard before Modiano's win, most French critics were thinking Pierre Michon had the best shot. Has anyone read him?

In an Italian newspaper I found the names of some writers who aren’t they that usually we can read:

Mr. Luis GOYTISOLO (81) of Spain,
    Mr. Ibrahim AL-KONI (68) of Libya,
    Mr. Amin MAALOUF (67) of Lebanon,
    Mr. Tahar BEN-JELLOUN (72) of Morocco,
    Mr. Mahmoud DOWLATABADI (76) of Iran,
    Mr. Bernardo ATXAGA (65) of Spain,
    Mrs. Shashi DESHPANDE (78) of India,
    Mrs. Patricia GRACE (79) of New Zealand,
    Mr. Tom STOPPARD (79) of United Kingdom and
    Mr. Yi MUN-YOL (68) of South Korea.

What do you think about of these names?
    Deus ex machina