Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Here is the future for the Nobel Prize in literature under Sara Danius' tenure:

2017: A translator
    2018: That woman who wrote Harry Potter
    2019: A YouTuber
    2020: A member of WLF for his incredible, speculative yet poetic posts regarding the Nobel
    2021: A meme

2021: A meme
    harambe ! of course

So, should we assume this completely erase all chances for Roth, DeLillo bla bla bla?

Love it!!!!

Hahahahahaha

USA USA USA USA USA

Take that haters

I take back what I said about not being sure about Dylan winning.

The salt makes it worth it a hundred times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    That was great!

Well, look at the bright side of things...
    Oh, trust me, I would've preferred DeLillo

I imagine some bloggers are now in the process of collecting vomit from their keyboards, but I've heard next year Madonna is giving a concert in Stockholm and they are going to book tickets. Don't you think "Papa don't preach" sounds profound enough for this prize?

Congratulations to Bob Dylan!

I know the SA has said they wanted to widen the scope of what is considered literature but I did not expect song-writing but more something like travel writing or academic writing or the non-fiction of for example Alexievich. I thought they had done their widening last year and would award someone writing what is more generally considered literature like novels or poetry.

What of Dylan's writings do you like most?

I like Bob. I don't like that he won this prize. He's not even the best poetic songwriter - that would be Leonard Cohen.

I suddenly totally understand why so many people disregard this prize. I think the SA has made a serious mistake here.

On the plus side I don't have any new reading to do. On the down side I don't think I'll be able to listen to any of his music for a long time. It isn't his fault he was awarded, I suppose, but my mind will forever turn to what could have been.

I am still a bit skeptical, but the more I think about it, the more I kind of like the pick. I can appreciate the fact that the SA just basically flipped the bird to all those experts out there. I'm also convinced that people will still be talking about Bob Dylan in one way or another in 50-100 years (he was big in the 60's and he's still culturally relevant), while that absolutely won't be the case for somebody like Pynchon. I'm wondering if this opens the door for other significant singer-songwriters or if this will be an exception. While were at it : Leonard Cohen.

As far as American writers go, I'm still rooting for William Vollmann, but he's still relatively young (57 years old), so he still has many years ahead of him and some interesting books to come (as far as I know, his forthcoming book Carbon Ideologies will be about climate change etc, I also heard that he's writing a novel about the CIA during the Bush years). Lets not forget that he still has two more books to write in the seven dreams series.

I'm also glad that I didn't have to purchase more books this morning that would sidetrack me from getting to the books I really want to read.

As a future pick, why not a graphic novelist ?
    Last edited by hoodoo; 13-Oct-2016 at 14:47.

Yes, I respect this choice. The SA has basically sent the message that it isn't beholden to anyone and doesn't really give a fuck. Mad props. They've shown their independence.

I'm more interested in the aftermath of this though than the actual winner.

JK Rowling, in my opinion, isn't even the best children's writer of her generation. They should just give it to Naoko Uehashi.

I think it's a superb choice and a fairly brave move by the Academy. Dylan has been an immensely inventive and influential songwriter for over half a century. Surely, nobody has done more to elevate songwriting to the level of art.
    And just think about how widely the speculative net can be cast next year... The horizons haven't just been pushed back by this, they're gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Here is the future for the Nobel Prize in literature under Sara Danius' tenure: 2017: A translator 2018: That woman who wrote Harry Potter 2019: A YouTuber 2020: A member of WLF for his incredible, speculative yet poetic posts regarding the Nobel
    What about Twitter for the introduction of innovative ways of communication?

The main contention seems to be whether or not songwriting is literature. Well, looking at the history of literature and poetry in particular, this can be argued. On the other hand, Dylan's music is definitely art of the highest form in his chosen mode of expression.

Ebba Witt-Brattström, professor of literature (and ex-wife of SA member Horace Engdahl), said it was great that song-writing won because now it's possible that Beyoncé will win in the future.

He's a secret member of the Bey Hive.

Someone should check to see if Michael Orthofer is OK.

Bob Dylan grew up about an hour away from where I've settled in northern Minnesota, but my response to today's news is still "Boo!"

I am a big fan of Dylan (Grew up on 60s/70s music) but I am also puzzled by the win. Honestly, I was puzzled a bit last year. Alexievich was not your "traditional" winner. She has a thin bibliography and her writing is not "traditional literature" in the truest sense of the word. She straddles journalism/non-fiction and literature. I wonder, as someone on here suggested, if the committee is really trying to push the boundaries and redefine what constitutes literature.

I think that Dylan's win is a bit less bizzare than Obama winning it for peace (he was a junior senator at that point and really had not done anything substantive) but it is still unusual to say the least. Perhaps Tupac will be in the running in the years to come. I mean, his lyrics do talk about police brutality, the modern day ghetto, plight of the urban communities. Oh wait, Tupac is ineligible since he was gunned down by Biggie Smalls. Maybe Public Enemy then =)

The cool kids have plenty of prizes that the rest of the world is interested in: the Oscars, Grammys, MTV and Brit awards, etc. Us, nerdy kids, only had the Nobels (because only nerds care about the many other book prizes).

So, when the SA gives its Literature prize to a "song and dance man" (his own witty words), it feels sad, like a brainy, unathletic, honor roll girl applying for a place in the cheerleading squad.
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko