Thread: Looking for French language short stories (1950-)

France Looking for French language short stories (1950-)

I am looking for short stories (collections and individual stories) from a past few decades by authors writing in French (not necessarily European).

I like psychologically or sociologically deep material, philosophy, history, politics, science fiction... well, anything good

I am grateful if you can recommend me something
    Last edited by Arvid_Falk; 06-Jan-2017 at 13:20.

Default Re: Looking for French language short stories (1950-)

Apparently I've read many French novels and not enough short stories. Here's what I can recommend based on my reads:

Jean Paul Sartre, Le Mur
    Marguerite Yourcenar, Nouvelles Orientales

You could also try Penguin bi-lingual readers. The anthologists try to cull stories from significant authors.

https://www.amazon.com/Short-Stories...french+readers
    https://www.amazon.com/French-Short-...E53ZXJ3ZKADN2Y
    https://www.amazon.com/French-Short-...E53ZXJ3ZKADN2Y

Have you considered J.M.G. Le Clézio? Putting his Nobel Prize to the side, his background is pretty unusual: mother from Nice, father from Mauritius. Although he was born in Nice, he spent his childhood in Nigeria, the subject of his novel Onitsha. His novels are especially wide-ranging in place and subject matter, and he has published quite a number of collections of short stories, the only one coming to mind at the moment being The Round and Other Cold Hard Facts.

Are you planning on reading in French or in English or in another language?

I've not read many short stories by French authors, but two collections have really stuck out to me in my (limited) reading experience. The first is by Jean-Paul Sarte, his collection "Intimacy and Other Stories" is fantastic, as you would surely expect. The second I just finished reading, by Assia Djebar, "The Tongue's Blood Does Not Run Dry". It isn't consistently fantastic, there are two or three stories which don't quite work as the author hopes, but it is as a whole a success and contains one of the greatest short stories I have ever read and a couple others that are near that list as well. Just prepare to have your heart broken a few times.

I've loved what I've read by Marguerite Yourcenar, so I suspect her short stories are phenomenal (and I hope to read them soon in Spanish).

If you're prepared to read novelas as well as short stories - for some others this line is unclear at best - then there are several available which are absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    Are you planning on reading in French or in English or in another language?
    In French. Since I am not a native speaker, reading full-length novels often feels a slightly too exhausting and that is why I am thinking about short stories now (I read poems as well - they are easier to find).

Thanks for the suggestions so far, they have been good. I am yet interested to hear more in case someone has ideas.

Raymond Bock - Atavismes
    Samuel Archibald - Arvida

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...eils-nouvelles