Thread: Man Booker International Prize 2017

Award Man Booker International Prize 2017

The longlist was revealed today.

Default Re: Man Booker International Prize 2017

Very interesting names on the longlist. Some of the books are rather old but apparently have only now been translated (e.g. the Kadare, one of his very best books!). They should state the year of original publication and the original title.

Has anyone read Jon Kalman Stefansson? I've heard good things about HEAVEN AND HELL, which is book #1 in a trilogy. I'm thinking about ordering a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post

Thanks for the link, Ater. I went ahead and ordered the book after reading the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Has anyone read Jon Kalman Stefansson? I've heard good things about HEAVEN AND HELL, which is book #1 in a trilogy. I'm thinking about ordering a copy.
    Hisbooksarewide

His books are widely available in translation in french. I purchased one of his books, D'ailleurs les pieds n'ont pas de poisson. I began reading it a while back, it was promising.. but I haven't looked at the book since then.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
    His books are widely available in translation in french. I purchased one of his books, D'ailleurs les pieds n'ont pas de poisson. I began reading it a while back, it was promising.. but I haven't looked at the book since then.
    hoodoo, your post caused me to dust off the part of my brain that still holds onto a handful of French words that I learned in junior high school French class. My best direct translation is "The feet have not of fish". No clue on the first word. I just checked on Amazon and the English title is Fish Have No Feet. From the reviews, it seems like the novel is similar in style to his other books in that it's meditative and poetic. I'm really looking forward to reading Stefansson.

D'ailleurs means elsewhere, so elsewhere, fish have no feet, I guess that I'd have to read the book to figure out what it means