Thread: Derek Walcott (1930-2017)

Default Re: Derek Walcott (1930-2017)

Sad news. Back in 2013 he was scheduled to participate in the Hay Festival at Xalapa. I was already in line when they announced the cancellation of the event due to him suffered an accident at home. I think he fell and wasn't able to travel. He was already a 84 years old man. That was the only time I was close to watch him and more than ever I'm sorry it didn't happen.

About his poetry I've only read a collection named The Bounty, which apparently was the first published after the Nobel Prize. I remember liking it, with all the Caribbean elements in place, the fusion of cultures beating and the elements of nature all blending together.

I bought a huge compilation of his work a few months ago when a used bookstore closed. Haven't gotten around to reading it. Omeros is also included in a poetry anthology I have.

The entirety of Omeros, Isahoinp? That's quite something. My edition is more than 200 pages long.

I haven't read it yet. I've been wanting to for a long time; it is likely the poem that I want to get into more than any other.

I have read a few of his poems, no collections though. I've really enjoyed what I've read, and now that I have been to the Carribean and am living so much closer to that world than I was before, I'm seeing more and more of its relevance.

I need to give more of his work more of my attention. I wish I could find a copy of the book here in Colombia. Sometimes living in a culture that doesn't read is very difficult.

Hey Over,
    Omeros was published by Anagrama in a dual English/Spanish edition. It is quite a big publishing group and I think you can find it in Colombia.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Hey Over,
    Omeros was published by Anagrama in a dual English/Spanish edition. It is quite a big publishing group and I think you can find it in Colombia.
    What wonderful news! Thanks for the heads up. I'll go looking for it this week.

I just realized with Walcott's death there are no Nobel poets alive. That is quite sad.

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_pri...re/genres.html

Soyinka is listed as a poet, I guess.

Yeah, but he wasn't awarded based solely on poetry. His plays were very important as well to winning it. Probably they just made this selection because the word "poetic" is present at the Nobel statement but if you look at it, it doesn't refer to poetry
    itself: "who in a wide cultural perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence"

By the way, have you read any poetry by Soyinka? Is he that good?

I was being incredibly sarcastic. If you look at the site, he's listed under poetry and prose, yet doesn't figure on the drama list. I think it's hilarious.

Of course I haven't read any of his poems. I didn't know he wrote poems! Only plays, those two novels and the memoirs pop into my head when I think of him.

Hey, this is an interesting observation. Thank you.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-stranger-who-has-loved-you/

Last night I read this article as I was getting ready for bed. Or maybe it was while I was doing some cardio at the gym. I can't remember at the moment, but I can tell you that I enjoyed it. Tempted me to write a poem in four different verses and with very strict ideals. Also tempted me to enroll in a creative writing class or two - it sounds fun! Too bad there aren't anymore Derek Walcott's to bring in his mixture of cruelty and humour and intelligence to the classroom...