Thread: 'Tis pity she's a whore

Default 'Tis pity she's a whore

Wondering if someone can help me with the meaning of this sentence - in act 2 scene 1 following the sex between Annabella and her brother Giovanni, Giovanni says to his sister "...but be proud to know/ That yielding thou hast conquered, and inflamed/ A heart whose tribute is thy brother's life."
    Annabella's response to this is what I don't quite understand
    "And mine is his. O, how these stol'n contents/ Would print a modest crimson on my cheeks,/ Had any but my heart's delight prevailed!"
    If someone could help me I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you!

Default Re: 'Tis pity she's a whore

I think she's saying she would be feeling embarrassed if she had lost her virginity to a man other than her brother. She feels joy, not regret or shame, because she gave her heart (and body) to her brother, a man toward whom she feels true love. Just a guess.

Thanks so much! Very helpful

One more question, if you were reading this aloud, what word would you stress on the line "had any but my heart's delight prevail'd!" ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebooks View Post
    One more question, if you were reading this aloud, what word would you stress on the line "had any but my heart's delight prevail'd!" ? Thanks
    I defer to Liam on this, but if I were reading this, I'd stress "any". What sayeth thou, Sir Liam?

Hmm, tough one, I'd stress the second syllable of "delight," but "any" would work as well, I suppose. "Had," "but," "my" and the first syllable of "prevail'd" are out of the question.