Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1098

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation

Liam might like to see Shigekuni's thoughts lol.

https://shigekuni.wordpress.com/2017...terary-awards/

In particular, I'll quote the part I very much like (for the lazy ones) and is certainly true of how the prize functioned for me in my teens (and still today with forgotten laureates):

Look, whatever weaknesses awards have, I feel that some of the dismissive reactions to prizes come from people who are already well read. I mean I don’t have time scouring the lists of current novels in the languages I read, but I have ways of getting at recommendatios, but let me tell you, as a German/Russian teenager, the Booker longlist and the list of Nobel winners was a very helpful shortcut to learning about writers outside of the narrow borders of my reading. I was not surrounded by a circle of readers or writers, I wrote poetry alone and secretly, and similarly, much of my reading happened in shadows, on attics, in the quiet spaces where words from all over the world came to life.

Without awards and longlists my reading would have been restricted to that of my circle of friends, or of newspaper reviews. Germany, by the way, if you want some insight on the latter, is a country where Jonathan Franzen is taken seriously as a Nobel Prize candidate.

I found some of my favorite books and writers on the lists created by awards, award discussions and longlists, most at a time when I wouldn’t have been able to find these books. There were three distinct sources for me as a teenager, discovering literature, two of them being two bookshops in Heidelberg, both long defunct, and one my trawling through lists and awards.

Scoffing at awards is well and good for those who already know about books, or meet people they can ask. In my opinion, awards have a powerful function in the literary discourse, beyond what they say about how the field of literature works, and how value hierarchies are constructed etc. etc. They are also just lists of books that we can easily access, look up, read.

And that’s why last year’s stupid award made me angrier than a misplaced award like the Munro did. Books. They matter. And I’ll wait for the announcement this year again. I won’t be as excited as in previous years because to an extent, they broke the award last year. But I’ll be waiting. And hoping. And please, dear GOD, don’t give it to Murakami or Marias.

It's odd to see Murakami finish at 5-1. Perhaps since he's a perennial favorite, I've started to write off his chances - like a sports team that always makes it to the playoffs but never wins the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    It's odd to see Murakami finish at 5-1. Perhaps since he's a perennial favorite, I've started to write off his chances - like a sports team that always makes it to the playoffs but never wins the big game.
    Odd as in you think he should be higher or lower?

Before the big news arrives, I'd like to encourage everyone, especially recent first-time Forum posters, to continue engaging in literary conversations of all sorts even after the inevitable post-announcement drop-off kicks in. I'd also like to encourage guests on the Forum to sign up and become members. I realize the lively debate in recent weeks/months will be difficult to sustain, but it's been a pleasure to see a rejuvenated WLF and I'm not wanting it to end.

Can we predict the Cervantes, Camoes and Man Booker prizes after this?

^ Why stop there?? Not at all joking, I'm into award speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Odd as in you think he should be higher or lower?
    I didn't expect he'd still be in single digits, but perhaps that's more of a result of his commercial appeal than it is of his likelihood of winning. I'm not an a Murakami basher by any means - I just think there are better options out there.

Thanks for everyone who participated in this forum. It was a pleasure hearing all the divergent thoughts.

Congratulations to the winner, and may she shed a brighter light on the human condition!

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmanK View Post

Congratulations to the winner, and may she shed a brighter light on the human condition!
    Still got your money on Margaret Atwood?

Haha. About 8 or so hours from now aghhh I can't contain it. Who could it be?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the Nobel speculation thread that has the most replies ever? I am so delighted I found this page. What a gem of a find. And I learn a lot from everyone! Especially new authors to consider reading.

Just a few more hours and we'll know. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread and hope to see you again next year. But wait! There's more! Tomorrow we get to comment on the actual winner, looking forward to it (by Grabthar's hammer, may it not be Lianke).
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

Quote Originally Posted by CapreseBoi View Post
    And I learn a lot from everyone! Especially new authors to consider reading.
    Agreed, Caprese. The only drawback is how much more money I spend on books since I discovered the Forum and started learning about so many new authors.

I'm new to the forum, so is it taboo to mention the free ebooks that circulate around the internet? At least in Spanish I can find most of the authors mentioned in this thread.

i'm new here. can someone tell me the web page of ladbrokes for nobel prize in literature? i couldn't find it.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Still got your money on Margaret Atwood?
    My wife once attended a forum in Portland Oregon (maybe ten years ago) where Atwood and Le Guin held court on all matter of literary concerns. My wife recalled that it was a fascinating experience to see these two very different women (Atwood forward and commanding, Le Guin reserved and razor sharp), and I will always envy her that experience. My money is on the long shot. Le Guin. Why not?

I think they closed the bets and can't access that page anymore.

I think Atwood would be a great choice. I don't see how anyone who's read Surfacing, The Edible Woman, The Handmaid's Tale, Alias Grace, or Cat's Eye could think differently. I doubt she'll win though, on account of Munro's recent win.

My gut tells me it's Ngugi or Marias this year. But then my gut told me that Bob Dylan would never even be considered for the Nobel, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by garzuit View Post
    I think they closed the bets and can't access that page anymore.
    It's closed, and it redirected me to the betting on the Nobel Peace Prize. Really laughing with the following odds:

Colin Kaepernick 50/1
    Donald Trump 100/1
    Vladimir Putin 100/1
    Kim Jong-Un 500/1

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    It's closed, and it redirected me to the betting on the Nobel Peace Prize. Really laughing with the following odds:

Colin Kaepernick 50/1
    Donald Trump 100/1
    Vladimir Putin 100/1
    Kim Jong-Un 500/1
    Perhaps the Russians are meddling with the voting on Trump's behalf. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by garzuit View Post
    Can we predict the Cervantes, Camoes and Man Booker prizes after this?
    I'm all in for the Cervantes and the Booker! Camoes is a new one for me...