Thread: Haruki Murakami: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Japan Haruki Murakami: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Japanese:色彩を持たない多崎つくると、彼の巡礼の年) is the 13th novel by the award-winning Japanese writer Haruki Murakami.

Has anybody read it, and if yes, how does it compare to his other works?

Literature led me to freedom, not the other way round.

Default Re: Haruki Murakami: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

I've read it. Started pretty decent, but to me it was a disappointment. I've not a great deal of Murakami ( 4 titles including this ..1Q84, Kafka amongst them). Of the lot, this was the least preferred one. It could be just me.
    Jayan

Default Re: Haruki Murakami: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

I agree with kpjayan. I have also only read 4 of Murakami's novels (HBWatEotW, Norwegian Wood, Sputnik Sweetheart and this one) and found this one to be the weakest/the one I liked least.

As we've discussed in the other thread, it's not "bad" but it's not one of his stronger works. It's just an acceptable addition to his oeuvre that doesn't do anything new. I still think he mostly wrote it as sort of a "chilling out" after 1Q84. A lot of time after writing longer works or story collections he'll publish shorter less complex works; to me it seems like something he does to pace himself as an author.