Thread: Luljeta Lleshanaku

Albania Luljeta Lleshanaku

Luljeta Lleshanaku was born in 1968 in Elbasan, People's Republic of Albania. She spent her childhood in internal exile and started publishing after the Stalinsit regime fell in 1991.

She's the author of many collections of poems, three of which have also appeared in English and a fourth one is set to appear next March, making her the most translated contemporary Albanian poetess.

Volumes which have appeared in English:

• Fresco: Selected Poetry of Luljeta Lleshanaku (2002)
    • Child of Nature (2010)
    • Haywire: New and Selected Poems (2011)
    • Negative Space (2018)
    Last edited by kadare; 12-Aug-2017 at 00:29.
    Literature led me to freedom, not the other way round.

Default Re: Luljeta Lleshanaku

Interesting resource on the web can be found here. At the bottom of the page it reads

Winner of the Albanian National Silver Pen Prize in 2000 and the International Kristal Vilenica Prize in 2009, Luljeta Lleshanaku is the author of six poetry books in Albanian and three in English: Fresco: Selected Poems (New Directions, 2002), Child of Nature (New Directions, 2010), and Haywire: New & Selected Poems (Bloodaxe Books, 2011), a finalist for the 2013 Popescu Prize.
    I wonder if they mean that she wrote three poetry books in English or that three books of her were translated in English.

Default Re: Luljeta Lleshanaku

Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    Interesting resource on the web can be found here. At the bottom of the page it reads

I wonder if they mean that she wrote three poetry books in English or that three books of her were translated in English.
    It's the latter (more or less). Child of Nature is the English translation of Lleshanaku's Fėmijėt e natyrės (2006). Fresco seems to be a collection with selected poetry from four or five of her older books which appeared in the 90s. As far as I can see Haywire is just a collection with selected poetry from the two volumes mentioned above and a couple of new poems thrown in for good measure.
    Literature led me to freedom, not the other way round.