Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Couldn't laugh any louder!
    Yeah, watch his first reaction to the announcement--instead of, Congratulations Kazuo Ishiguro!, he goes, Ewwwwww!--all because he was wrong,

That's the thing....the academy picks are against all odds...man do they maneuver...

This thread should now be stickied and enshrined.

Seriously, give it a read right now. You're guaranteed a laugh, and a praise for redhead.

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...-Nobel-Library

Also, the 2016 speculation thread had a lot of discussion on him, if anyone's curious. kadare made a funny comment.

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...searchid=65243

I kind predicted it last year :P

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...200#post144200

All this thanks to the secret method only us on this forum know hehe
    Last edited by kadare; 05-Oct-2017 at 14:32.

Any time Isa posts regarding his "major award" theory, I think of this classic scene from the film A Christmas Story - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TzzcjRHWo

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post

Seriously, give it a read right now. You're guaranteed a laugh, and a praise for redhead.

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...-Nobel-Library

Also, the 2016 speculation thread had a lot of discussion on him, if anyone's curious. kadare made a funny comment.

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...searchid=65243

Told you we wouldn't need a speculation thread this year

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/...195#post146195
    Last edited by kadare; 05-Oct-2017 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post

Ishiguro is not Nobel material and after a 10 year gap in works he released a novel that borders on being fantasy and now nothing since. For me to even consider him a realistic candidate I'd need to have him release more works.
    this only loses to Alex Shephard's I'll eat my copy of blood on the tracks if dylan wins statement in regards to big fails

I don't know, this quote from ellisisland from the nobel library thread about Ishiguro being shortlisted is also great

Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    I would bet all my money, all my property, even my life that he isn't...
    Should've taken him up on the bet lol

Jokes aside, I'm really pleased about the speculation thread and I'd like to thank you all for your participation. I thought after the Dylan fiasco, I wouldn't be in the mood for it and it turned out to be probably the best one ever.
    As of now, I took immediately two new names I already purchased books on Amazon:
    Hideo Furukawa and Jón Kalman Stefánsson.

Hope most of your who participated for the first time at the forum can stick and keep on making this place richer.

If anyone wonders where to start Sara Danius recommended "The Remains of the Day", the only one of his books I've read and which I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Marba View Post
    If anyone wonders where to start Sara Danius recommended "The Remains of the Day", the only one of his books I've read and which I liked.
    The novel is so much better than the film because the reader is able to see the difference between what Stevens the butler thinks versus what he says and does. For the film to highlight this, voiceovers would have been needed throughout. Regarding "Never Let Me Go," however, I preferred the film which I thought was more powerful than the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    I don't know, this quote from ellisisland from the nobel library thread about Ishiguro being shortlisted is also great

Should've taken him up on the bet lol
    lord almighty 😊 ... I'll be damned 😄

They changed the rules on who gets to attend/stand around when Sara emerges from the closed doors, peers around, opens her folder, and in multi-lingual fashion announces the winner. Boy did it show, what an inert crowd. She might as well have asked "anyone here know how to change a colostomy bag"? I really missed the hoots, hollers and intakes of breath of past years. Even the Dylan reaction let you know of the furor the decision would produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Any time Isa posts regarding his "major award" theory, I think of this classic scene from the film A Christmas Story - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TzzcjRHWo
    He has won awards. I just found it unlikely he'd win since they petered out in the late 1990s and his literary output massively slowed down.

I'm fine with his win. Wouldn't have been my choice and it's another European, but he's certainly better than a plethora of other British Isles authors who potentially could have won.

I guess regardless of Murakami or someone completely different, it irks me that an actual Japanese author writing in Japanese didn't win.

In a way, I see this as a reaction against Dylan's win. An author with a slim, orderly bibliography as opposed to the fuck-all, sprawling mess that is Dylan's entire output.

Quote Originally Posted by Mise Eire View Post
    They changed the rules on who gets to attend/stand around when Sara emerges from the closed doors, peers around, opens her folder, and in multi-lingual fashion announces the winner. Boy did it show, what an inert crowd. She might as well have asked "anyone here know how to change a colostomy bag"? I really missed the hoots, hollers and intakes of breath of past years. Even the Dylan reaction let you know of the furor the decision would produce.
    I had my own hoots and hollers. I was sitting in my teacher's lounge cubicle....headphones in....while my colleagues were getting ready for school to start. I exclaimed loudly and looked around for validation and no one noticed. It was a perfect encapsulation of my dorking out about the prize in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Mise Eire View Post
    Yeah, I missed that too, it was so cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post

Seriously, give it a read right now. You're guaranteed a laugh, and a praise for redhead
    Haha thanks, not gonna lie, feels good to be vindicated

Quote Originally Posted by CapreseBoi View Post
    What? You guys keep mentioning that. Especially you. That it's of low odds that a writer who writes in same language as Dylan would win this year. I read all 55 pages of that thread mister and what a beautiful experience that was
    That was not what I said. I said another American writer with American citizenship wouldn't win. My list of guesses had numerous English language writers and I kept insisting Ngugi would win it.

I read Never Let Me Go in Jr High school lol. Seems really odd to me that something I read at that young of an age went on to win the Nobel.

I remember thinking the film was a disappointment. But most films adapted from literary works are bad/disappointing.