Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

This is the first since 1993 that two authors who write in the same language won in a row. You guys can remove that criterion now, can yall?

Quote Originally Posted by leopold View Post
    What is important and what is really great - SA can keep decision in full secret. It's first time from 2007 when there was no any movement of laureate in odd lists. Great!
    Yeah. Their military coding tactics worked perfectly this year. We all were fooled! 55 pages of speculation were not enough. Shame on us!

Regarding the winner, I have never read him, but he is someone I've been looking to read for years and this is the final push to finally do it. Satisfied

"Apart from his eight books, Ishiguro has also written scripts for film and television" - it's from his bio-bibl., completed by SA. Soooo - screenwriter in some way)))))

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    he is someone I've been looking to read for years
    Luckily for you, Dan, his entire oeuvre is what, 7 or 8 books? Can be done with it in a month. Imagine if Joyce Carol Oates had won, *horror*

Looks like they went with the safest, blandest choice possible after last year. A popular British author whose works have been made into film. He meets their typical criteria, it just seemed unlikely to me since the last major award he won (French Order) was nearly 20 years ago.

He isn't overtly political. Doesn't make statements about current events really. Practically the only statement type comment I can find that he's made since his last novel was released is some weird comment about computer chips and genes.

Well two English language laureates in a row...has not happened in a relatively long time...his win reminds me of Pamuk...

Quote Originally Posted by CapreseBoi View Post
    This is the first since 1993 that two authors who write in the same language won in a row. You guys can remove that criterion now, can yall?
    Don't think think anyone ever mentioned language as a criterion. Otherwise Ngugi and Atwood wouldn't have been heavily speculated.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Yeah. Their military coding tactics worked perfectly this year. We all were fooled! 55 pages of speculation were not enough. Shame on us!
    That's what happens when someone dominates the discussion with arbitrary guidelines and shoots down any discussion.

There's an old short story - A Family Supper - that you can find online if you google it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
    Why is that? What's wrong with 80+ year old Albanians?

I would be very happy if he wins. This is my top 3 of who I hope will win the prize (in this order):
    1. Ismail Kadare
    2. Cees Nooteboom (for patriotist reasons probably, but I also admire his work).
    3. Kazuo Ishiguro

I don't have much hope that my hope will come true, though.
    Well, it happened. Congratulations for your prophetic skills Peter!

Just to give the whole thing a somewhat political edge, is it too much of a stretch to wonder if this could be in some way a comment on Brexit, and all the talk of closing of UK borders to immigrants?
    Anyway, a good choice, I think. He's a very fine writer. And it's hard not to like the game the SA played this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post

He isn't overtly political. Doesn't make statements about current events really. Practically the only statement type comment I can find that he's made since his last novel was released is some weird comment about computer chips and genes.
    Thank heavens! Another great step by the prize!

Stewart, you only come out of hibernation on the day of the Nobel announcement and then go right back to sleep,

Hopefully, this removes Murakami from future contention. I've always considered Ishiguro as a transnational and transcultural writer, even if these characteristics are not immediately obvious.
    Last edited by Uemarasan; 05-Oct-2017 at 14:34.

Don't think think anyone ever mentioned language as a criterion. Otherwise Ngugi and Atwood wouldn't have been heavily speculated.
    What? You guys keep mentioning that. Especially you. That it's of low odds that a writer who writes in same language as Dylan would win this year. I read all 55 pages of that thread mister and what a beautiful experience that was

Looks like they went with the safest, blandest choice possible after last year. A popular British author whose works have been made into film. He meets their typical criteria, it just seemed unlikely to me since the last major award he won (French Order) was nearly 20 years ago.

to be honest I never understood your fixation with other prizes. As if the SA couldn't think for themselves...

I've read 4 his novels. A Pale View of Hills was OK. The Buried Giant was really good, but a litle bit too heavy in its straightforward metaphorism. When We Were Orphans and Never Let Me Go .... sorry, I know that all around love latter one, but for me it was too sentimental and melodramatic. Former was not full fiasco, but something close. I must read two his most important novels, but in this moment I'm agree with some your remarks: safe choice, decent writer. IMHO, Jeanette Winterson is more interesing choice ... But in general, OK. What is important it's secrecy and - of course - theory of Readhed abot library)))) We will use it in next year))

On the other hand:

Eco's work was an overwritten mess and most of his novels were overly long with numerous pointless historical tangents he'd include just so he could show you how highly-read and educated he was. He was also heavily involved in semiotics which isn't really a field to idea the Academy seems to have cared about (or really anyone else aside from Academics). Producing dense texts that induce head scratching and sleep doesn't mean he produced anything important.

Meanwhile, Bob Dylan's work has had a profound effect on poetry and songwriting and his influence over the last 5 decades is monumentally greater than Eco's.

Why are you randomly capitalizing the author's last names? That doesn't make it easier to read.

John Ashbury is far too old and an American won last year. That's not happening ever.

Penti Holappa: Too old and hasn't written anything in over 10 years. That's never happening.

Norman Manea hasn't published anything in the last 5 years. Not happening.

Ishiguro has published one novel in the last 12 years and hasn't won any international awards. Not gonna win.

Ilse Aichinger is dead.

Friederike Mayrocker is too old.
    Couldn't laugh any louder!

Quote Originally Posted by CapreseBoi View Post
    What? You guys keep mentioning that. Especially you. That it's of low odds that a writer who writes in same language as Dylan would win this year. I read all 55 pages of that thread mister and what a beautiful experience that was
    HAHAHAHAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Hopefully, this removes Murakami from future contention. I've always considered Ishiguro as a transnational writer.
    And Oe did a whole interview with him (http://www.grandstreet.com/gsissues/gs38/gs38c.html), so it's like he got the last word if Murakami doesn't receive the prize lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Are you telling us that you're 30?!?!
    You gotta own it