Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 254

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    customs
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Well I was right last year with the Nobel library......

    Edit: Not what I was expecting at all, but I can't complain
    Why? How do you know? I am sorry, I admit I was wrong about Ishiguro being seriously considered as a candidate. But his win doesn't proof anything in my opinion. Books from a popular writer are borrowed from a public library, suspicious, woooooooo

  2. #122

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Good morning everybody! What a pleasure to arrive at the World Literature Forum and discover a brand new thread already 7 pages long.

    I have no reaction to this win. It is neither exciting nor painful. I've only read one Ishiguro, and have, ever since last year's thread, had desires to read others but haven't yet felt that urgency. I guess this tosses the urgency up a bit, but admittedly not much. The novel I have read was finely crafted and beautiful, and I would happily read it a second time, but it wasn't overly controversial or, as far as I could tell, particularly pushed the envelope (which is something I like in my laureates). But maybe that envelope was pushed in other books.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    Good morning everybody! What a pleasure to arrive at the World Literature Forum and discover a brand new thread already 7 pages long.

    I have no reaction to this win. It is neither exciting nor painful. I've only read one Ishiguro, and have, ever since last year's thread, had desires to read others but haven't yet felt that urgency. I guess this tosses the urgency up a bit, but admittedly not much. The novel I have read was finely crafted and beautiful, and I would happily read it a second time, but it wasn't overly controversial or, as far as I could tell, particularly pushed the envelope (which is something I like in my laureates). But maybe that envelope was pushed in other books.
    Assuming it wasn't the one you read, you might try The Unconsoled. It's his most "experimental" book.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Aw thanks guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    Redheadshadz won the Nobel today!
    Lol I wish. It would stop magazines from rejecting all my stories.

    And EllisIsland: http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng/s.../lending_books

    Kadare pointed out in that library thread in early June that Ishiguro had a bunch due back in August, in 2-3 months (don't remember the exact due date). The public can only check out books for 30 days, less if someone in the SA wants it for themselves. Bunch of books by the same author out for that long = suspicious.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cuiabá, Brazil
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    I really thought it would be Saadawi. Haven't read anything by Ishiguro but I'm glad they awarded someone already well known. Funny thing is that Brazilian newspapers' headlines are like "Movies based on Nobel prize winner's novels".

    Not sure if you guys are familiar with Barry Pierce (or booktube at all) but he makes me laugh a lot. His tweet about the Nobel: https://twitter.com/BarryPierce/stat...38141546143744

  6. #126

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    So I was just reading through the Nobel Library thread, and I saw that I had posted in it last year, and that it was in response to the idea that Ishiguro could be nominated, and I think I communicated my ambivalence well enough there. Here is what I said:

    "I must say that I am mostly surprised by this appearance of Ishiguro in our considerations. I've read one of his books, Never Let Me Go, and I really enjoyed it. A great tale, a wonderful exploration, a thrilling account of humanity and its inhumanity. And yet I didn't feel it had much weight to it. Perhaps I need to read it again (I certainly enjoyed it enough to do so), but I suspect it isn't the book that he would be awarded for anyways given it dabbles a bit in science fiction and the academy's general discomfort with "genre" fiction. Perhaps that is changing, though I am heistant to suggest it. I have read a few of his short stories from his collection Nocturnes, and they were resoundingly mediocre. Powerfully so - some of the first books I read when I started reading for pleasure which I decided was just not good enough to continue reading. But I have A Pale View of Hills in my e-reader taking up space for years now, and maybe I should give him a chance to be enjoyed. By what I have read on here and in a few other forums there is little reason to believe that he isn't worthy, but I wonder if he is like Murakami and Atwood, both of whom are good but not, to my mind, serious contenders for the Nobel (though I´m willing to concede a little ground to Murakami)."

    And then I was reminded about the book of horrible short stories he released in 2009 a collection of five short stories called Nocturnes, that I tried to read it not long after it was released, back in 2011 or early 2012, and that I had to put it down about halfway through because it was unbelievably weak, and cliche. I'll maybe pick it up again one day, but if I recall correctly it damn near outright turned me right off of his literature for a while.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    customs
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post

    Kadare pointed out in that library thread in early June that Ishiguro had a bunch due back in August, in 2-3 months (don't remember the exact due date). The public can only check out books for 30 days, less if someone in the SA wants it for themselves. Bunch of books by the same author out for that long = suspicious.
    I'm still sceptical. But you guys can easily proof me wrong. Just predict the winner of next year, will you? We will talk again in about 10 months!

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post

    And then I was reminded about the book of horrible short stories he released in 2009 a collection of five short stories called Nocturnes, that I tried to read it not long after it was released, back in 2011 or early 2012, and that I had to put it down about halfway through because it was unbelievably weak, and cliche. I'll maybe pick it up again one day, but if I recall correctly it damn near outright turned me right off of his literature for a while.
    Congratulations on noticing the winner, OverTheMountains. I also disliked Nocturnes (which I couldn't finish), heck I even disliked The Remains of the Day (which I did finish).
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

  9. #129

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    I'm still sceptical. But you guys can easily proof me wrong. Just predict the winner of next year, will you? We will talk again in about 10 months!
    Also, the timing of the due date, when discussions are supposed to be held?

    Since winners have appeared on the shortlists before (this explains Ishiguro books being lent out previously), most likely next year's laureate will have some books out as well at present? Through a quick browse of the library, I notice that several books by Adonis and Anne Carson have been borrowed.

    Someone mentioned that a survey of the recent winners reveals that all of them had some sort of connection to cinema (except Transtromer; understandable given his chosen form). I think this is potentially very helpful. Also, most if not all laureates seem to be writing from a very humanist perspective.
    Last edited by Uemarasan; 05-Oct-2017 at 19:01.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleanthess View Post
    Congratulations on noticing the winner, OverTheMountains. I also disliked Nocturnes (which I couldn't finish), heck I even disliked The Remains of the Day (which I did finish).
    Oh, I did no such thing, Cleanthess. I doubted that he was in serious contention. I'm not thrilled he won, but I'm open to reading more of his work. I guess I have to be at this point.

    I've never heard of somebody disliking The Remains of the Day. Could you share why?

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Balkans
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Claudio Magris also has 3 books due October 13th, all three in German (just like Marias), which makes me wonder if this is an attempt by the Academy members to conceal what books have been borrowed from the library (sort of) by picking those in foreign languages since they are less likely to be requested by the ordinary Swedes, hence their absence is less likely to be noticed.

  12. #132

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    I'm happy with this choice. Ishiguro is a fine author and a deserving laureate. Although this does kind of crush my hopes of Rushdie being chosen any time soon.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    I wasn't expecting Ishiguro to win this year but I think it's a great choice, especially after last year's blunder. I've only read his early novels which I found fascinating. The Remains of the Day is a true masterpiece. That was almost 30 years ago! Then he'd somehow fallen out of my radar but I always considered him a great writer. I guess now it's time to go catch up on his later work.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Balkans
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    I'm still sceptical. But you guys can easily proof me wrong. Just predict the winner of next year, will you? We will talk again in about 10 months!
    I don't think this trick will work twice, especially if the Academy members get wind of it, which I'm pretty sure they will. Besides we can only conclude who might've made the shortlist, not who the winner is.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    I'm still sceptical. But you guys can easily proof me wrong. Just predict the winner of next year, will you? We will talk again in about 10 months!
    Eh, once is enough for me. It just feels nice to have just one of my theories about the nobel vindicated. I think in the future, checking which books are out and when they're due could be a good springboard for speculation, but I wouldn't take it seriously. The SA could easily check out a bunch of books by one author not under consideration, or like you say, it could just be someone from the public. It could possibly point us in the right direction or could be completely off, like the odds, but I don't think it's something worth giving serious attention to in coming years.

    And cool, Kadare. Both Magris and Marias would be great winners. I'm pleased with Ishiguro for now, but I hope at least one of them gets it

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    customs
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    I don't think this trick will work twice, especially if the Academy members get wind of it, which I'm pretty sure they will. Besides we can only conclude who might've made the shortlist, not who the winner is.
    Ok, then I will expect a detailed account of the likely shortlist, say next May or June, deal?

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Balkans
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisIsland View Post
    Ok, then I will expect a detailed account of the likely shortlist, say next May or June, deal?
    No, thanks. Going through all the authors to see which books are checked is not worth the effort.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
    I'm happy with this choice. Ishiguro is a fine author and a deserving laureate. Although this does kind of crush my hopes of Rushdie being chosen any time soon.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. People voted on "Midnight's Children" to be the "Booker of Bookers" a few years back as the Best book to have ever won, but "The Remains of the Day" is just my absolute favorite book that's ever won, and I would argue about the most English novel to have won. Iris Murdoch's "The Sea, the Sea" or "Siege of Krishnapur" by JG Farrell similarly work this way for me.

    It feels like it kills any potential win Rushdie might have had.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    I am thrilled. What a wonderful choice. Utterly surprising, but pleasantly so. Have read three of his books and loved them all. Congratulations to those who predictions via the Nobel Library finds worked out. Great Job!

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

    To my mind, Lessing and Kipling were clear clues. Both British, both writing in English. Lessing was 87 when she won, Kipling was 41. The average of these two ages is 64, Ishiguro is 63. That's why the reference to the youngest and oldest winner in literature. This years winner is mid way between the two. Or maybe I am over thinking?

Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation
    By kadare in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 1097
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2017, 13:00
  2. How to Win the Nobel Prize in Literature
    By Liam in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2016, 04:43

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •