Thread: Robert Elsie (1950-2017)

Albania Robert Elsie (1950-2017)

Since I am not sure whether I should have put a Canadian or a German flag to his name, I opted for the Albanian one. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. As can be read in this article and on his wikipedia entrance Robert Elsie was the most important advocate for Albanian culture and literature outside of Albania. He also translated the works of Albanian authors, Fatos Kongoli among others. After his death on 2 October in Germany, his body was brought to Albania to be buried in a village in the Albanian Alps.

Default Re: Robert Elsie (1950-2017)

I was surprised to see a thread about him on here as he wasn't exactly a writer. A sad loss nonetheless. He didn't translate any contemporary Albanian writers except for a book by Kongoli, focusing mainly on folklore, but I'm glad he translated at least some older writers like Fishta and Migjeni, both of whom wrote in the northern dialect.

It's very sad that great Albanian translators are dying out. It will be hard to replace the likes of Robert Elsie, Jusuf Vrioni, Lizarralde, especially Elsie who had profound knowledge of Albanian dialects.

Default Re: Robert Elsie (1950-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    I was surprised to see a thread about him on here as he wasn't exactly a writer. A sad loss nonetheless. He didn't translate any contemporary Albanian writers except for a book by Kongoli, focusing mainly on folklore, but I'm glad he translated at least some older writers like Fishta and Migjeni, both of whom wrote in the northern dialect.

It's very sad that great Albanian translators are dying out. It will be hard to replace the likes of Robert Elsie, Jusuf Vrioni, Lizarralde, especially Elsie who had profound knowledge of Albanian dialects.
    True that Elsie was not exactly a writer, but I think he was an important enough figure for Albanian literature to 'deserve' an obituary here.