Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edith Wharton

Default Re: Edith Wharton

Quote Originally Posted by titania7 View Post
    Karen,
    When you read more Wharton, Karen, I highly recommend both The Custom of the Country and The Reef. I also enjoyed Glimpses of the Moon, though my mum was disappointed by it. It's a bit more superficial than the other Wharton novels I've read, but I still found it most enjoyable. Essentially, it's about a pair of con artists, a husband and wife team. Very entertaining, and, as is always the case with Wharton, quite stylishly written.
    Thanks for the recommendations, titania. I'll certainly give these a try at some point. She is a wonderful writer. I saw and enjoyed the movie versions of both The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence, and they did a good job with both of them, I thought. Not as good as the books, of course, but at least they were faithful. And I agree that readers who enjoy George Eliot will probably enjoy Wharton as well.

Thank you so much! I am re-reading _The House of Mirth_ right now--we were made to speed-read it in a week at UC Santa Cruz--and I am totally fascinated by the character of Lily Bart! And I am wondering why Edith Wharton is not considered the Jane Austen of the United States--surely she is an underrated writer in our canon? Her insights into human nature KILL me! Lily Bart is not sentimental, and neither is the speaker of _The House of Mirth_! If this is not Austen-like, what is?

I am of your species. Heavy Lit is best! I am a total literature snob! When I open a book and the words pass by quickly, I say, Oh, is this what the common rabble read? Lol! I have a degree in English-Language Literatures from the University California, Santa Cruz