Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Man Booker Prize

Default Re: Man Booker 2017

Decent longlist, seems to be flooded with A-list names, though.

One of the greatest omissions? The Golden Legend by Nadeem Aslam. But I guess they could not afford to have three Pakistani writers on the list. They settled for two.

Hari Kunzru, Yaa Gyasi, Elizabeth Strout, Neel Mukherjee also missing.

No writers from the Africa continent, despite some good books published this year.

Ugh, Underground Railroad...

How much would you pay to watch isahoinp on the judging panel screaming at the other members about how horrible that book is?

Golly...Paul Auster looks more and more like Lionel Barrymore every year....

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Ugh, Underground Railroad...
    Today it won the UK's top science fiction prize, the Arthur Clarke award.

http://d.gu.com/PZ08W8

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post
    How much would you pay to watch isahoinp on the judging panel screaming at the other members about how horrible that book is?
    Haha. Love it!

Since this book has remained in the limelight for a while now, I'm constantly forced to try and develop a solid a opinion about it. I didn't hate it. It was an effective work of fiction that managed I guess to bring slavery and race relations to the forefront. Like I feel as though it might be the middle America-soccer dad/mom equivalent of that Ta-Nehisi Coates essay that got a lot of attention.

It just wasn't that good though. Considering the number of prizes that its won, I'm not sure that it will still be amply discussed and whatnot in 5-10 years. Only time will tell, I guess. That being said, I am a huge George Saunders fan and I loved Lincoln in the Bardo.

I'd also like to read the Arundhati Roy book (probably not purchase it though). I just went out and loaned her first book from 1997 at the library.

I also own Solar Bones by Mike McCormack. It was published by an independent press in Ireland, I should read it someday.
    Last edited by hoodoo; 28-Jul-2017 at 21:11.

I really wanna read Exist West and Days Without End. I don't really care about the other ones. I think Saunder's gonna win. I mean, haven't read it, but seems like it's everyone's favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdiniz View Post
    I really wanna read Exist West and Days Without End. I don't really care about the other ones. I think Saunder's gonna win. I mean, haven't read it, but seems like it's everyone's favorite.
    Sauders has a good chance, indeed. I haven't found any negative press on his book yet. The only book on the longlist I've read is the Zadie Smith one. I found it a very decent read. Not flawless, but I wouldn't mind her ending up on the shortlist.

So I just picked up the 2013 winner, The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, for 2$ at a used book sale at my local public library. I've been curious about it for a while, but I was on the fence about whether I actually wanted to read it or not. Has anybody else read it? What did you think?

I did read it back in 2014. It is easily worth more than 2$. Possibly the closest the Man Booker Prize got to genre fiction at this point. That said, it's an amazing book. Full of unpredictable twists and likable characters - also, I do like ensemble casts. It's easy to give in to clichés when writing a story that has mystery, adventure and thriller elements, but Miss Catton does it in a way that seems fresh. She clearly made a tremendous effort in dividing the novel into 13 parts, each half the size of the previous. Its form alone is worth recognizing, but the prose is also great, very straightforward yet beautiful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, hoodoo.

Default Re: Man Booker Prize

Shortlist is out: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...d-smith-auster

Lol at Whitehead going from being the frontrunner to not even being a finalist. The only book I've read was Lincoln in Bardo which was average, but I think Saunders just isn't for me (was similarly disappointed with The Tenth of December).

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    Shortlist is out: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...d-smith-auster

Lol at Whitehead going from being the frontrunner to not even being a finalist. The only book I've read was Lincoln in Bardo which was average, but I think Saunders just isn't for me (was similarly disappointed with The Tenth of December).
    I loved Lincoln in the Bardo, and am currently re-reading his short story collection Pastoralia. I'm not a big fan of the Booker Prize, but I'd be glad if he won (although, I don't really care who wins it to be honest). I'll probably eventually check out Exit West by Mohsin Hamid one day.

I only read Autumn by Ali Smith (it was my first of hers) but I loved it, and I really want it to win. It is very much a collage of a novel, one in which fragments of thoughts and scenes (some quite surrealistic for it is seem from the perspective of one person dreaming) are there more to have a cummulative effect showcasing the ideas of friendship and integration the book wants to communicate. Having said that, it's not that the more character driven parts lack sentiment or freshness, quite the contrary. I think it is a well rounded novel and one that will be rewarding on subsequent reads as well.

Alongside it I think the other more plausible books to win are Exit West and Lincoln. If the latter wins, though, I will feel like it was all set from the beginning, being it the most famous and one of the most praised ones... I am really willing to read it though, this almost play-like structure sounds enticing to me... curious about Exit West too, the critics seemed to have loved this book but nearly everyone I know who's read it despised it... I'm in the mood for liking it

This will be announced in a few hours. I'm guessing they'll give to Exit West and rant about how much it "speaks to our times" because of "Brexit" or some nonsense like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    This will be announced in a few hours. I'm guessing they'll give to Exit West and rant about how much it "speaks to our times" because of "Brexit" or some nonsense like that.
    Have you read the novel?

Whelp, I was wrong. George Saunders ended up winning.

Hhahahhaha I haven't read it yet, I very much want to and think I'll love it, but one can't but acknowledge how predictable it was...

Meh. Everyone else seems to love Saunders, but I'm not taken with him or this award. It was a decent novel, certainly ambitious in its narration, but didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    I asked if you read Exit West by Mohsin Hamid, but you never responded. I'll infer that you haven't. If that's the case, how can you be in any position to judge its worthiness for an award?